Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Pictures Of Your Armor

I finally finished my armor today! Here are a few pictures:

armor1.jpg

armor2.jpg

armor3.jpg

Any idea what this armor would get for an armor rating? The plates are generally 3/8" thick, water hardened and then wax hardened. Wood hard. The design is based off of an open-faced brigandine. I used the following website for inspiration/instruction:

DIY Brigandine

But, like anything, I varied it a bit. Can't wait to use it!

It's probably going to be two-point armor. It looks like reinforced light leather (that undertunic is leather, right?).

Looks good man!

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a split in the color I was looking for, so the tunic is duck cloth. <_ i was shooting for since the plates were veg tanned leather that waxed but didn know how using would interact with classification. just haven seen enough armors in-game to get an idea.>

But, point values aside, I had a blast making it, and I think it turned out pretty good for my first armor. Learned a lot about leatherworking, mostly through mistakes. :rolleyes: Perhaps after the 'gubmint' sends me my stimulus check, I'll think about buying a full skin of cow and making a better suit. Especially after I get a feel for what works in-game. I just like this design because it's so silent, no overlapping plates to clack together. As well as being light and highly mobile.

Thanks for the compliment, it means a lot!

One of the Combat & Safety people will look at it in person, if those plates are thick enough it'll count as 3.

It does look good. I'm impressed from the photos.

What would this count as? I got ahold of this old leather and plate armor the leather is 1/8 inch pretty stiff the plates are about an 1/8 inch as well and cover pretty much all of it. Id be wearing it over a set of black chain 3/8 in ID 16 gauge steel. I was curious if that would count as 4 points?

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

No. As per the rulebook, you can never layer armor types to gain more armor value. You will get 3 points for the chain, and the leather will be cosmetic. That leather by itself looks like 2-point armor.

Why does it let you post and eat mine? Arrgh. IPS error.

What you've got there is a Wisby (Visby) Coat without the requisite overlapping plates. That is 2pt armor if the leather is thinner than heavy latigo or the heavy vegetan, 3pt if the leather is heavy enough.

Basically you might have 2 sets of 3pt armor (or 3pt chain and 2pt reinforced leather), but that coat is not heavy enough to count for the plate+chain option.

Wait, are those strips of metal riveted inside the leather?

Yes they are.

They just don't have any overlap, they butt up the way that ideal brigadine would.

I need to see that they aren't the thin flimsy sheet stuff, and check the leather thickness. I'll hold my official decision till Friday night. I'll be at game early and in Logistics before game to check weapons, armor, talk to newbs. I'll look for you there Darius.

Yeah, it might be three now that I realize those are metal. Certainly not four point armor, but maybe three. JC will let you know.

Looks like old SCA armor where someone was tired of getting bruises on thier torso and added some metal.

Here's some leather armor I'm making for neccero. It's not done yet - there are shoulders coming - but it's wearable now. It's made of HEAVY leather, over a quarter inch thick. My hands hurt from working with it, but the result is 4-point reinforced hide armor. It's also adjustable for manly-sized men (I can wear it, and it goes bigger than that even) because the buckles on the back are attached with Chicago screws rather than rivets. There are a series of three holes, each three inches apart, for each buckle strap. They can be moved all the way to the edges of the back piece if desired. All the tongue straps are held on with peened copper rivets, so they're super-strong.

druid1.jpg

druid2.jpg

druid3.jpg

(drooling) oh my god i love it. can't wait to see it when its all done (especially with me wearing it)

Glad you like it man. I just got some more rivets today so I can do the shoulders. This leather's so thick that my usual #2 rivets aren't long enough - I had to buy much larger #4's...

So, in regards to the armor that Richard has posted up above, with his plates made of leather, it is a two point suit. If, instead of Leather, the plates in the brigandine were 1/16th or 1/8th inch steel/Aluminum and hardend, would it increase it?

I am also curious as the the armor value of the armor first posted (by hivemind, me thinks)

Jim

There is a slot for Plate & Chain combined to be 4 pt armor in the previous versions of the rules. They hold that full chain and 50% coverage of rigid plate count the same as a solid two piece breast and back. This is the only case of layering in our system and will remain valid.

Large overlapping plate pieces are the requirement for the monstrous ability. We're still discussing the coverage it takes to get the jump from a metal-plated brigadine up to the monstrous. A few examples that do pass the test are lorica segmentata and o-yori.

Edit: Richard's hardened leather brigadine was 3pt.

I am also curious as the the armor value of the armor first posted (by hivemind, me thinks)

Jim,

My armor has always been counted as 4 points. It's mostly metal. The parts that are open to argument would be the legs (the arms when worn with the spaulders cover 75% of the arm in plate) since they are as much studded heavy as they are leather. Worn alone, they might only get the nod as 3-point armor, as there is more leather than steel, but since it was established years ago that the armor value of it is 4, I've always counted them as 4. Bear in mind also that, when worn, my legs give no coverage from ass to ankle on the backs of the legs, as they don't cover 75% of the limb.

For me, I will always draw a distinction between articulated joints with multiple lames (I give that 4), and something that is just a knee or elbow cop on leather (I give that three). To be sure of getting 4 points on the legs, if you're doing something similar to mine, buy Archer's knees rather than just 5-lame knees.

I am currently working on some articulated plate for arms and legs. The spaulders are mostly done, the legs are close and there is a lot of work to get done.

Bear in mind also that, when worn, my legs give no coverage from ass to ankle on the backs of the legs, as they don't cover 75% of the limb.

so, fully encasing the legs to the 75% is required for arms and legs. Gotcha. Means a bit more work on the legs...

Large overlapping plate pieces are the requirement for the monstrous ability.

So, the two piece hard breast plate (front for one, back for two) would NOT get monstrous? Would that require the chain underneath it to count to get to 5?

Jim

The test for Monstrous is typically rigidity, ie. the bat test. JC was (I'm assuming) referring to anything that's not a solid steel back-and-breast. Any solid metal back-and-breast that's about 18 gauge or heavier (all armor sold for SCA purposes will be this) will count as Monstrous.

cool cool, I should be good then.

I do get a little skittish around bats, I normally ask if I get to hit the person back with it... ;)

Jim

So, the two piece hard breast plate (front for one, back for two) would NOT get monstrous? Would that require the chain underneath it to count to get to 5?

The bigger the plates, the better. Fewer plates with the full coverage means bigger plates. A 2 piece in rigid metal (steel or Al.) would definately be monstrous, assuming it had enough coverage to count as armor at all.

The more mobile armors like the segmentata and o-yori are examples of minimum rigidity and coverage.

I'd post up a picture of my simple leather breastplate, but...me and a friend of mine are going to be in the process of taking it, reinforcing it with another layer of leather, studs, and wax hardening most of it to get it to the "reinforced hide" level, because apperantly the leather it's already made out of is close to 3 points as it, so boosting it the few points should not be hard at all. If ya'll are interested I'll do some before/during/after shots of the work as it progresses. We've got a lot planned for my simple little bit of armor.