thunderstave

Diagnosis

The following is an updated version of the Diagnosis spell with current errata included.

Diagnosis

Type: Restorative

Level: 1

Duration: instant

Range: touch

Dispel: n/a

This spell allows the caster to immediately discern all ailments and internal effects acting on the target, including poisons, disease, madness, magical afflictions, compulsions, pregnancy, or sickness. If cast upon a corpse, it will reveal the cause and method of death. Diagnosis will detect the presence of the target's own spark.

Diagnosis is intended as a means to examine the internal condition and magical workings of a target, as opposed to identifying the nature of external injuries which are the purview of the First Aid skill.

Casting Diagnosis protects the caster from catching any harmful afflictions while being used to examine the subject.

Does it discern race? I.e., is this the way to get past Dopplegangering?

^^^ Oooh, neat.

so the caster has to ask, "are you poisoned? do you have a spark? are you really a werewolf?" ..or is this info offered voluntarily?

so the caster has to ask, "are you poisoned? do you have a spark? are you really a werewolf?" ..or is this info offered voluntarily?

If anything is wrong with you, give up the goods. It's a medscan, not an interrogation.

If anything is wrong with you, give up the goods. It's a medscan, not an interrogation.

+1

Does not determine the type of monster, with the exception of lycanthropy.

For instance, won't tell you if the hot chick is a hag or a doppleganger or a vampire

That's too bad. Ok.

(Chiming in late to this):

Lycanthropy (and probably vampirism) is an affliction. A doppelganger is its own entity.

If you cast diagnosis on a doppelganger, you're effectively asking via spell: "are there any ailments with this doppelganger?" and the answer is "no, it's a perfectly fine doppelganger". ;) Being yourself doesn't count as a disease!

If the spell can detect the signature of invading microscopic life in a host lifeform, that speaks to the spells sensitivity/potentcy. If it's that sensitive, it seems like detecting the host lifeforms biosignature would be a snap. Incant, lasers, touch, voila-->"Life status: Alive Lifeform: Lizard. Diseases: Clean." I get that Rules wants to preserve infiltration plots, though. I just thought it would be a cool secondary use for an underused spell. Makes dedicated healers a bit more useful too. But whatevs, ever onward.

Philosophical: is being undead an affliction or simply another entity?

It should be whatever explains the whole "necromancy attracts undead" mythology we have.

Diagnosis already makes it impossible to surprise people with werewolves. I don't like the idea of Diagnosis kicking my Doppleganger plots in the balls as well.

I think undead would make sense though. Being undead is something that happens to previously living things, and could be considered an affliction of sorts.

I think the cleanest interpretation is that Diagnosis determines if there is anything unusual with the target in regards to its natural or base state. Undead are not living creatures anymore. They are husks. If you heal/repair them then they go back to being undead. There's nothing else effecting them and no foreign bodies... so no ping.

Since when is Diagnosis an underused spell? Apparently us healers who use it all the effing time are playing wrong.

Yes, I use diagnosis at least once an event. I can't say that about any other resto spells.

I concur. Diagnosis is a fairly common spell to hear go off for a non-buff in the last year or two. Hell I don't even have it and I can't think of a game I haven't heard it used this season.

I don't think Diagnosis sucks or is underused, but I still think it would make sense for it to identify undead. "Hey, my tricorder says you're dead! Uh oh."

I don't think it would break much either, undead aren't much for infiltration. The only one that was really close to human looking was a succubus, and that was changed to a fae a while back.

Does someone know that you've casted Diagnosis on them??

I see, too many times, that someone casts Diagnosis and then goes on to pretend like it didn't happen after the coast is clear. Should the NPC be role-playing a "wtf" expression?

Diagnosis is dumb. It makes me itch in places where I shouldn't itch. Atticus always be giving me the "Bad Touch".

:unsure:

Does someone know that you've casted Diagnosis on them??

I see, too many times, that someone casts Diagnosis and then goes on to pretend like it didn't happen after the coast is clear. Should the NPC be role-playing a "wtf" expression?

It's a spell. They would know your casting a spell and which one it was.

You could maybe get away with casting it down the path or outside of the Inn and then getting to the target in under a minute, but once you touch them, they get the option to notice your spell.

If they don't hear the incant, they would prolly be better off assuming they don't know the effect.