Kato Gallowsbane

Looking for Leatherworker

Hey it's Christopher Robin looking for someone willing to craft me some heavy leather armor, valued at least 2 points of armor, by December event or next year. I'm looking for someone willing to craft me armor of this style and if possible to dye it dark green: http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-7759-leather-lorica-segmentata-1315-oz.aspx

I'm also looking for a set of bracers and grieves to go with that as well.

I can teach you how to make this yourself. It is the easiest armor in the world to make. Gonna cost you less than $200 in materials. You can use my tools if you make it in my shop.

I need some sort of light leather. I want it plain so that I can use it as a backing for my scale. Any recommendations? Anything I find online is SCA made, quarter inch leather.

Who would you recommend?

If you're going to just use it as backing for scale, I'd have a look around the local Salvation Army stores. You can often find a leather jacket that you can modify into what you need, especially if it's going to be covered by something else. Also, if it's a backing, you can use heavy cloth as well, or quilted cloth. Or maille.

If you're going to just use it as backing for scale, I'd have a look around the local Salvation Army stores. You can often find a leather jacket that you can modify into what you need, especially if it's going to be covered by something else.

This is unlikely to pass muster at KoN.

personal preference mostly, that and I'm hoping to cut down on the amount of noise I make as I walk and run. I have been planning on buying a gambison to go under it either way.

This is unlikely to pass muster at KoN.

Many leather jackets consist of a liner and the jacket proper. Once you've cut the liner away, you're left with the trunk, two sleeves, pockets, and assorted buttons and zippers. Cut off the buttons and zippers, stitch the vent flaps closed, cut off the collar. Sew the opening for the front zipper shut and instead make a cut from where the hole where the collar used to be straight down starting as far to one side as you can get it. From there, either rivet, sew or ring in a set of straps, clasps or hooks to allow it to be held shut, and you've got a plain, generally black leather backing. This whole process is prooooobably going to take a weekend if done by hand by someone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing. As it's being used as backing, being sewn together pieces shouldn't matter much (as many of the originals were) and since the modern bits and chunks have been removed, you've got all the weight and discomfort of "real" leather.

Now, I'm new here, and that's my understanding of the process as a leatherworker. Is there a reason this wouldn't pass muster once the scales have been attached? Or are the zippers, buttons and possibly elastic what caused the objection?

that's my understanding of the process as a leatherworker.

Are you a leatherworker?

Is there a reason this wouldn't pass muster once the scales have been attached? Or are the zippers, buttons and possibly elastic what caused the objection?

All of those things will make it look bad, but the real reason is that, no matter what you cut off or stitch on, it's still going to have the silhouette of a modern leather jacket.

Are you a leatherworker?

All of those things will make it look bad, but the real reason is that, no matter what you cut off or stitch on, it's still going to have the silhouette of a modern leather jacket.

Negative, I am a meat Popsicle.

And I'll bring in some of my recycled leather projects to show you what I'm talking about. You don't need to have a big shop to do basic projects. Hell, I made a lamellar cuirass in Iraq using old boots, a sharp knife and an adjustable saddle punch. I soaked the scales in wax I boiled in a tin can over candles. Whole setup could fit in a shoe box without any difficulty. It's ugly, but it's for a primitive character, and it looks the part.

Making lamellar is one thing. I too have wasted hours of my life making lamellar form my scrap bin. Someday, I'll get a clicker for it and turn my scrap bin into a gold mine.

But repurposing a modern-cut leather jacket is entirely another matter.