Sign in to follow this  
James

Damage requirement and non damaging spells

So this came up, and experienced players were split. If a creature has a DR to poison, it obviously takes damage only when struck by poison. But what about compulsion spells? Does regular pin work, or only poison pin? Dominate, or natures command? Or all of these?

I ask because dr poison creatures are rare in that there is both poison damage and poison base compulsion. There is no "elven steel curse", so you use regular curse on a wraith and it works. I believe regular compulsion spells should work on something unless it is specifically immune to that spell or tree. What's the ruling here?

DR is Damage Requirement - thus it applys only to damage- spells or otherwise. Unless noted by the creature description (for monsters ie some are immune to compulsion for example) or because of magical defenses non damaging spells work on everything.

DR and immunities aren't the inverse of eachother.

Coroth is correct.

Poison Immune means that "4 poison" and "poison pin" both fail.

DR Poison means that "4 magic" fails, but a magical "pin" spell works fine.

Our rules are a little confusing in that we have a number of damage types, and a number of ability types, and the words overlap in confusing ways. In the future we'll fix this by changing one to another word, for instance a fear spell could be "arcane fear" or something. Nothing concrete yet, but we're aware of an issue and are working to resolve it.

Perfect, this was my understanding as well. Thanks.