Sign in to follow this  
Elfury

newb pcs werent so new feeling.

This stemmed from the shadowskin topic James started. Basically what I gathered is changing our thought process from anyone can kill anyone to something more realistic. The second big point is getting new players to PC sooner.

A way to do this would be to either raise the skill points you start with by a small amount, OR a back story gets you to level 5 instead of level 2. Or both of those things, but preferably the second.

Many people PC'd at level 1 but just the thought of it could seem overwhelming. But starting at level 5 for example may make new players seem not so vulnerable. They could start with 50coin a low craft point magic item although that seems steep. Also make an attempt at sending them at least 1 targeted plot to let them feel awesome and on the winning side.

Once again all ideas that I think will enhance the new player experience without breaking or changing in game mechanics.

Let's see the pros and cons of this. I see only pros but its my idea do that's how it tends to go. Let's have it ladies and gentlemen.

I am uninterested in further buffs to newb character sheets.

The idea of a targeted plot for all first-time PCs that have submitted a background has merit.

As a counter-proposal, what if we made a few long-time veterans available (however is convenient) for some personal consultations with new players on how to build their first PC?

As a counter-proposal, what if we made a few long-time veterans available (however is convenient) for some personal consultations with new players on how to build their first PC?

Yes. This or some sort of buddy system.

That cool with me. Just some ideas since everyone seems on board with the enhancing new player experiences in some way.

I really don't think we need to buff the new people any more. They are welcomed in whole heartedly into groups and helped out. We just need to make sure that true newbies have good first impressions. No matter where you go it's scary starting out at low levels. I think having a good support system (which is mostly here) is all people need. That may just be me having more fun when I have fewer gadgets and enjoying my lower levels anyway.

Silly radical idea and feel free to call me stupid for this but what if we excuse the group cap for players under level say say 10. That way even full groups can take a long a new PC and not shift the balance off any. I would still limit it to one or two new PCs but it is as you say, they dont have enough tools in the box to change a encounter highly and it makes it so a new player dosent feel left out if he is on a shift with all full parties.

It seems nice. But groups should be trying to add new players into groups instead of being in our "secret clubs"

Yes but it dose not always go that way. Or there are a cap number of better people to take along. I dont want this to be a incentive to a group to go into a fight with like 5 newbies just to bolster a meat shield but its really shitty when your new and cant go on a adventure because of the arbitrary group cap. Im not plot or rules so my idea of balance could be silly but I don't see much harm in a new player going with a full group if the group is ok with it.

This also begs the balance rule of what level do you start to highly contribute something to a group, How many new PC's can go along with this break (No more than 2 I would say, but I would think 1 should be plenty unless we get a silly influx of new PCs) and how many times you are allowed to have the newbie party with you ( Like only for a outing, till convergence, a shift). I dont want my idea to break the game but I think it would be more inviting to new players that role a early PC to be included in the group without excuse.

I think the here's your party +1 newb slot is a great idea. Most of the people who come in new and feel satisfied seem to have kind of apprenticed onto a group anyway, and making them able to go along without taking a more powerful character's spot would encourage people to bring them along, (after all EVERYONE can help with things like finding ways to convince the merchants to let the druids pass or whatever) and they would get to see and try out a bunch of stuff they might not if the rest of the shift happened to split off without them.

If you guys look at Lemons, she was a new character that wound up in the Braves and became instantly loaded with power weapons and items. New players should be trying to join groups, and groups should be trying to recruit new players if possible. The "do we need them" factor does matter a little, but I think that can be overcome through roleplaying rather then looking at skill sets (I mean, the druids are all druids...why can't their be a group of weaponmasters? enchanters?)

I actually have wondered why is isn't HARDER to achieve redicu-high levels? 1-10 is 5xp/lvl, then it's 10/lvl every time after. After level 50, people really should have a great range of abilities, so why not raise it to 15/lvl after 50, and 20/lvl after 100. that doesn't seem incredibly crazy to me, considering that sign-in xp has been raised, and there are many other ways to gain XP.

To counter my own idea for a moment, however, Jenica did post the distributions and there are rarely players who keep a character past level 70 or so (not looking at the stats at this moment), so maybe that's not necessary.

I always always always go out of my way to bring new players into my parties. Just in the BCs, we brought in Tony when he was brand new, Bill and Kira for a while, Sam when she started playing her PC, and Kerrie as Lemons. I'm a big fan of "adopting" new PCs, and I think that one of the biggest mistakes new folks can make is to try and go it alone, or to form their own group. I also feel one of the worst things our veterans can possibly do is to not find a new group to party with after character death or retirement. It's not an explicit rule, but it's always been strongly encouraged by me.

Just to toss my two cents in: My first event as a p.c. I was invited into a group, treated as fully part of the group, given consumables and magic items that I still have. I've never seen a new p.c. left behind on a plot they wanted to go on either so it seems like a moot point.

It happens when they band together and don't try to blend with the other groups.

The idea of altering the adventuring cap based on how new the additions are is an interesting one.

A level 2 PC doesn't add much to a high level party, and will probably be a drain on resources. I'm not sure the math where that shakes out differently though. If I get a dozen bums, and put a shield on each one, is that the same? The middle-ground is somewhere between the two, but I'm not confident we want to make a special exception, since the newbie would get attached to the party, and then confused/sad when they can't hang out anymore.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

I had an idea this morning which may have been posted elsewhere but, meh.

The idea I came up with is basically a "tutorial module" akin to what you'd find as a tutorial in most video games these days. Take all the First or second time NPCs aside prior to shift 1 starting and run them through a fight or two against a few monsters. The NPCs would be given pregen character sheets and would be lead through a heavily scripted sequence of events that goes through fighting, magicking, healing, dealing a killing blow, looting, immunities, some special status effects, calibrating hits, etc. I think it would be a more effective way of breaking a brand new player in rather than the rapid fire "hereischarmandkillingblowandstun" that I have heard admittedly a while ago. I figure it would take three NPCs and a combat marshal to run it effectively. Plus the NPCs could all be a different common monster. "This is an orc. Everyone in the Freelands knows what an orc looks like. Now you do, too."

A pretty wide range of subjects could be covered via experience and I think it has value. What do you all think?

It happens when they band together and don't try to blend with the other groups.

Totally true. I find myself still picking up the pieces still after the Students disbanded

Cool idea, Alex. I'd be happy to be a part of said module, or designing it or whatever.

Apparently I am someone who learns rules WAY differently than most of the people who are given the job of explaining rules, so I strongly support this idea. For me personally, a tutorial would have helped me actually remember the rules much better than just having them explained. I would love it if we start doing this as a first event plot, and would be happy to help with it in any way I can.

I loved learning all the new monsters. Ever new character I bring in I make sure they don't know all the ways to kill certain monsters. I think it falls in the hands of the lead NPC.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

This is something I would like to do. At least to get the meat of the module accomplished and then collaborate on the details afterward. I want to get some feedback from the top to see if this idea will be allowed to fly before I sinktime into it.

Here comes the Newb, sticking his nose in, but...

As a GM for tabletop games, I've found that a backstory is vital. To encourage this, I've instituted the "Why the heck are you even HERE" rule of gaming. Part of the player's backstory must include WHY they're adventuring. Now, if they just happen to be Joe Schmo from the town the adventurers are passing through, that's fine. But unless there's a personal reason involved, it doesn't make sense for the farm boy to leave home with nothing but his stick of stickyness and go ADVENTURE!

Now... if someone stole dad's bracers of mighty might, or recently inherited a sword of swordly swording, or just learned a bright and shiny spell of magical magic, that makes more sense to me, and receives some kind of newbie reward. This is, of course, just my two cents (which can be added to my first character's purse as part of his backstory, if you please).

That is a good suggestion that is already in play. It's not a firm rule but characters get bonus xp for writing a detailed backstory that includes everything you just said.

If I recall you did this when I first made a pc. I think it helped out a lot. I think this is a pretty good idea also.