Sign in to follow this  
Kato Gallowsbane

Looking for Segmentata Plate

Hey so I plan on wearing plate armor for my new PC and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for some cheap size small segmentata plate armor.

How much are you willing to spend?

And how small? I've got two sets, one in "battlefield" condition, both mild steel. So one's a bit banged up, both have a spot of rust here and there which I can polish out if you'd like. I can only wear one at once, so I'd be willing to sell/trade as I've no larp weapons.

I've got a chest size of 34" and I'm willing to go about $200-250 (cheapest I saw was $180). Dominic, if you can send me pictures of that armor I might consider a possible purchase. I also want the armor to be worth at least 3 points monstrous.

If you get the cheapest stuff you can find, it will break within a few months of active use. If you have tools and the time you can repair it, but the cheap suits use very shitty buckles/hinges and cheap leathers.

There are essentially many kinds of lorica. i'm not going to go into detail, but I suggest you get the Corbridge type 'A' depeeka version. It's a heavier suit (16ga steel) but it's build solidly and won't break. It's what you have seen on Titus, Raines, and Richter. Depeeka, or LaWrensNest or Soul of the Warrior.

Now if you still want to get the cheaper stuff let me tell you a few things that you should certainly not get... something like this: Crappy Lorica anything with this brass trim is probably crap. Also anything with hooks in the back side, instead of leather straps, is also probably crap. It's also important to note that the lorica in that link is backwards. The 2 small rectangle plates with two buckes on the shoulder section is the back side of a lorica. It's important to be able to see the front and the backside to make sure it's secured with leathers.

Watch for stuff like this. The three pictures here are all different lorica. Look at the brass hinges on the shoulders. The ones with the triangle cut out's in the middle of the hinge are from the Depeeka version. The 3rd picture is actually a home made lorica from a roman reenactor's site.

Also this is the worst you can get. This is totally inaccurate and will fit you poorly. Don't buy this.

You can always post up what you're thinking of buying before you buy it. I personally bought the super cheap stuff from ebay. But I have replaced more than half the leathers and almost all of the fittings. It's a lot of work to keep it rust free and repaired. I'd say I spend probably 4+ hours every month doing maintenance before game. This would be considerably less if you got stainless. :)

But I have replaced more than half the leathers and almost all of the fittings. It's a lot of work to keep it rust free and repaired.

The fuck you mean YOU have replaced half the leathers and almost all of the fittings? o.O

Lol. You did do a bunch. :) I can do it myself now. Point is there will be a lot of work and maintenance and there's people around to help.

I want your manica. We shall discuss. :)

I want your manica. We shall discuss. smile.gif

I also want his mancia. Apparently it brings all the boys to the yard.

So what do you think about this set:

http://www.medievalc...size-small.aspx

That armor is the cheaper model. It will work. However if your unlucky it will break your first event. If your lucky it will last about a year. As long as you realize upkeep is required i'd say go for it.

Just FYI, they do proper replacement hinges and fittings for about 50$ though if you're creative you can get away with other things.

http://www.aurorahistoryboutique.com/Lorica-Segmenta-Stainless-Steel~R000493.cfm

This is what I bought. It's been awesome so far. In two years, I lost 2 pins. That's it. I'm getting close to replacing some fittings, but not there yet. Also, it requires zero oil / care.

But, it is neither cheap nor small.

I bought my suit of lorica for about $180 and it worked fine, but I haven't used it in at least a year. I'm pretty sure it's the heavier variant, but it's worked fine enough what little I've used it.

I'd like to get back what I put into it, so I'd sell it to you for the 180, maybe down to 160 if you wanted to low-ball it.

I bought my suit of lorica for about $180 and it worked fine, but I haven't used it in at least a year. I'm pretty sure it's the heavier variant, but it's worked fine enough what little I've used it.

I'd like to get back what I put into it, so I'd sell it to you for the 180, maybe down to 160 if you wanted to low-ball it.

That depends on if it will fit me properly. If you bring it up in the April event, I would like to try it on and see if it fits.