Sign in to follow this  
NarenZade

Economy, Magic Item Decay & POWER CRYSTALS

Magic Item Decay Proposal

- All Magic Items will become mundane and lose their number after a full season and one Event of said Magic Item being produced.

- Feb Feast items are not subject to Magic Item Decay. They're too awesome.

What Items are subject to Magic Item Decay?

- Any and all Ornamenter Items.

- Any and all Weaponsmith Items.

- Any and all Tinkerer Items, except Lock & Keys, Traps, Light Tubes, Contraptions, Savant's Labs.

- Items distributed as loot that follow rules similar rules to the items above. (IE, A necklace of Slaying Swarm x2, a Silver Mageblade Sword, etc.)

- "Epic" items are subject to decay and maybe restored with a Major Power Crystal.

Why do Magic Items need to Decay?

- Power creep. Players are getting items and those items are not leaving our system at a reasonable degree.

- Economy. Players will now be spending money to maintain their items rather than hoarding coin.

What about items already in play?

- All Magic Items begin their Magic Item Decay countdown starting when this system is implemented.

~*_~* Introducing Power Crystals *~_*~

- A Power Crystal is an item that when handed into Logistics at sign in 'resets' the Magic Item Decay (Meaning it will last a full season and one event from the time the Power Crystal is turned into Logistics) on one eligible item. This requires no skill use.

- There are three types of Power Crystals.

Major Power Crystals - Resets the Magic Item Decay on any item.

Power Crystals - Resets the Magic Item Decay on any item up to 16CP.

Minor Power Crystals - Resets the Magic Item Decay on any item up to 8CP.

- Power Crystals will be added to the Tinkerers Creation Tree. Once in April and once in September a Tinkerer can create a Power Crystal via their own Production.

Tinkerer 1 - May produce a Minor Power Crystal for 4CP.

Tinkerer 3 - May produce a Power Crystal for 8CP.

Tinkerer 5 - May produce a Major Power Crystal for 12CP.

How else will Power Crystals be brought into game?

-Power Crystals From Terran Mining.

Each shift, a Terran Power Crystal Merchant will come into game. They will have a Blue Bag filled with Power Crystals for sale.

They will be sold at the rate of 100 coin per Major Power Crystal, 50 per Power Crystal and 25 per Minor Power Crystal.

Thanks for reading!

The only thing I don't like about this is that if someone can't come to game for a long time (say, a year or longer), they are returning with none of their magic items, or if they make it back just before the year/+1event, they now have very little time to come up with a lot of money to try and keep their items in game.

Other than that though, I like this a lot.

If something like this was ever implemented, maybe like, a 2 event extension for players who had to go on long hiatus?

Why not just cut to the chase here and demand a magic item tax from players?

Whether or not we call it a tax, it would definitely re-add a sense of value to magic items that we haven't seen since we pumped the economy.

I think this is a very interesting idea. Now, if you can't afford to power up the magic item by the deadline, does it just become inactive until it's recharged again or does it go away forever until it's re-crafted?

Speaking purely from the standpoint of someone who has taken on an organizational project involving the item database - the logistics of tracking something like this would be very difficult, if not impossible.

It adds a lot of maintenance, it seems.

There aren't enough master crafters in the game to keep the flow of items going even if you had infinite money. Every month of every game would be "I need a new master crafted item" just to keep my magic gear active within the 12 month window. By the time the last magic item was produced, I'd have to start over.

The crystals seem on paper like a good way to balance this... but there are too many factors to consider for making it fair between high level and low level players.

On top of that, every plot ever would have to be about this guy asking about stones (crystals):

zorg.jpg

Or we would need a Horadric Cube to turn 3 minor crystals into one normal one.

"Every month of every game would be "I need a new master crafted item" just to keep my magic gear active within the 12 month window"

That's indicative of how much magic high level characters are carrying around, no? Which is the issue, presumably, that Chris's idea was addressing....

I like the sentiment of making magic items more temporary, but I don't like a one-year decay. Mostly because that means that all the magic items we ever find are either one-year old or have been somehow maintained with crystals for a long time. All that stuff in the lake from Nalbendel? Decayed.

What if we made all magic items have charges like wands do? Let's say you have someone that makes Pants of Reap Spirit 2/GD (20). The most they can cast from those necropants is twice a game day, and they get up to 20 charges with it. We sell "power crystals" or whatever to give those items charges again. No maintenance from Logistics required, you keep track of your own charges like you would a wand. Honor system and all that. This way, if someone doesn't use a particularly magic item much, they can keep it for more events than someone who uses an item as much as they can. And if some black drake wants to hoard magic items for hundreds of years, that is still a viable concept for him. :)

With our item DB a lot of this maintenance is automated. Though we would have to leave it to players to keep track of their own items.

If it were not for Epic Level Magic Items I would not hold onto a magic item for more than a few events. You can ask the BC gang because it is apparently rather comical to them how often I switch out items and weapons. I like changing it up and it keeps me playing the economy side-game. I just don't understand the issue here as people want to make it out to be.

If people want to power level and power game then they can at KoN. If they don't want to then they can also do that. There are plenty of ways to look at this but from my point of view I see a few players who feel unchallenged looking to change the system instead of changing their style to fit the game we have. JC has all the gadgets and skills he needs to rock NPCs in every encounter. He has actually gone to using a crossbow and specific "Sneaky Guy" tactics to be a better Role Player and challenge himself.

I look at this situation as players trying to adapt rules to better playability and I believe we should be looking at it as trying to make our playability better our rules. Just how I see it and I still think the people who want this change are the minority.

I also don't like this idea. It inflicts the consequences that might help high level people who feel the game isn't challenging enough onto everyone. One of the things I like about the current magic system is that it makes it possible to give things to the low level players (or the poorer ones). If you don't feel challenged feel free to change how you play, but don't assume everyone else wants the same thing. (Though I do like the charges idea better, since just having something doesn't use it up which feels sort of sad.

What if we made more optional ways to get items out of the system. Like a ritual that requires each participant to sacrifice a magic item of a certain power to get the effect or something. That way no one has to do it if they don't want to be involved.

Zach - what automation are you talking about?

I picked up ornamenting to enhance my groups capabilities. I maybe the minority here but a decay system or a tax would defeat the purpose. It would also blow 14 levels worth of skill points.

What if we made more optional ways to get items out of the system. Like a ritual that requires each participant to sacrifice a magic item of a certain power to get the effect or something. That way no one has to do it if they don't want to be involved.

While I like the idea of item decay to cycle items and make players have to maintain their equipment, I think the power crystals might make Alchemists the new "hot skill." When weapons and items could be crafted, we had a huge influx in crafters. Once people need to maintain items, suddenly Alchemist will become huge because they can make power crystals.

I like the sentiment of this however.

We'd have to switch over to an "item card" system like DR and NERO use. I'd rather not bother with it. If people feel like they have too many magic items, they should retire them. Sell them off, give them to newer players, whatever.

This topic comes up too often... If we have such issues with people getting items, why are we still sending out the same amount of coin and consumables as we are??

I'd be more butt hurt about losing items than not getting them in the first place...

MK. I meant to say that it could easily be automated.

With the DB already up and running its relatively simple to automate dates and send an email once a month with expires items. Something like that.

rust+monster+dmg+will+mclean+cartoon.JPG

I'm pretty sure these are relavent to the current discussion, but where can I collect Azura's Star?

23162-1-1237094679.jpg

"If you think it should be different just do that thing yourself" is a departure from logic.

Subjects that come up in a forum like this are here to get talked out rationally.

It's tough to create and maintain a meaningful economy with high input cash and items like we do. Nothing is special. Even with power caps on items there is a huge jump to make for incoming players unless they NPC forever or take up crafting themselves.

"If you think it should be different just do that thing yourself" is a departure from logic.

Subjects that come up in a forum like this are here to get talked out rationally.

It's tough to create and maintain a meaningful economy with high input cash and items like we do. Nothing is special. Even with power caps on items there is a huge jump to make for incoming players unless they NPC forever or take up crafting themselves.

The logic is lost as it is talking about this kind of stuff....

We had almost the entire game complaining that they weren't getting enough loot. The game started sending out more items and making sure all the loot got distributed. Now we're complaining because everyone has too much?? Stop sending out so much, whats in play will die out.

If we're going to put out more, then complain there's too much, I think that's silly...

If we're going to put out more, then complain there's too much, I think that's silly...

AGREED.