Sign in to follow this  
thunderstave

Papers, Please

Papers, Please

I'm taking a Master's class on simulations and games. It's the most interesting and positively difficult course I've taken in years. We were assigned 4 hours of the game Papers, Please.

In it you play a border crossing document checker. This shit is HARD and the story is serious business.

Part of the assignment is for us to figure out how we are playing the game in terms of looking at our own use of the play space (you can move your documents around) and how we are dealing with all the weird characters coming through. It's a serious game.

Try it. You won't. ;)

Steve Guile and I put like 8 hours each. That game is addicting and anxiety inducing.

Gah! So many things to check!

I easily passed an hour and a half before I knew it.

I'm kind of impressed. That game is super new and it's beta release hasn't gotten much press, whoever is in charge of this class is on the ball.

it's one of our faculty whose job is totally not to teach gaming and sims in education, but it's his passion so he teaches it whenever he can sneak it into the curriculum. :)

Gave it a try; was fairly impressed.

I really like the free-form with being able to move things around. It really adds to immersion and the feeling like you're in control of everything at your disposal.

They could've gone the easy route by making this more "arcade-like" and having the pass/fail stamp be a matter of hitting Y or N... but they didn't... and I appreciate that kind of detail.

The full version is out on Steam. I think there are 31 days instead of the 5ish in the Beta. I'd totally get it if I could afford it, but I heard it's brilliant.