Sign in to follow this  
James

Merchant question

The new merchant rp tree allows merchants to trade unlimited amounts of coin for xp at a certain level. Can merchants then sell this XP to others? I.e., if i am a merchant, can i take coin and give someone ELSE xp? With the amount of loot currently in game, I am concerned that this is a bell that can not be un-rung. As soon as someone hits merchant 3 I fear that the "haves" who currently have a bunch of levels AND mountains of loot will then instantly also have access to even more levels, and the disparity between the long term players and short term ones will grow. And the skill only has to be in game for a couple of events before most of the in game coin gets turned into permanent assets on character sheets.

Thanks for any info!

From my understanding, people can donate XP to others. As long as it's approved and noted so that there isn't double dipping.

Also consider that now PCs will be able to get much more XP by PCing than NPCing. Possibly more than even helping in other ways.

Right, Zach. My PC got 200+ coin this event, which would be 20 xp, or more than those people who worked for 15 hours in the grueling heat and dust to make the dungeon crawl possible in June. If we want people to gain xp by OOC contributions of time and money, this is definitely not the way to incentivize it. And again, once this cat is out of the bag, everyone will presumably convert their excess coin to xp immediately (unless they have RP reasons not to) and the game will forever be altered.

It's one thing to allow people who have RPd a merchant for 2 years to get this ability for themselves, but it seems like a much different thing to open this Pandora's box for all.

If I recall, RP skills can only be advanced once a year with GM approval. You have to actually role play improving your skill to the next level. It took me 6 years of play to get Status 3 and I had to give up a level of Status in order to take the Merchant RP skill in April due to the rules change. Dave Morgan told me that you can only advance one RP skill per year, so those of us with multiple RP skills, based on our character's back story and years of playing, still have to wait like everyone else, so I don't think it will be as bad as you fear.

The quick answer is just patch it so that only the player can keep the XP they garner from the Merchant skill.

Agreed with Chris.

It doesn't matter that it takes a long time to get this ability, because players already have it, and if they sell the service, the whole game will instantly have it. The ability is still the best in the game (by far) if it is self only, but it doesn't shut the economy down over night in that version the way it does if the exp mechanism is effectively changed to 1 xp for 10 coin with no cap.

What we could do it a merchant can only give X amount of XP to another p;ayer or players per game too.

I don't really see this is a big a problem. most of the "rich" players I know are at the point where their charectors are where they want them to be. besides at 100 coin a level thoise that would take advantage of this service are not really going to sky rocket in levels.

Agreed with Chris.

It doesn't matter that it takes a long time to get this ability, because players already have it, and if they sell the service, the whole game will instantly have it. The ability is still the best in the game (by far) if it is self only, but it doesn't shut the economy down over night in that version the way it does if the exp mechanism is effectively changed to 1 xp for 10 coin with no cap.

What about players who die???

I would love to convert items I can no longer use into XP instead of hundreds and hundreds of coin.

The idea was the let the merchant be a merchant, and selling training sounds fun in theory, but in practice James is right and it kind of breaks the game.

I think the "right" answer is to say "XP from this skill can only go onto the character sheet with this skill" or something. As much fun as it is, I don't want Chris to keep Raines around after he'd rather retire, just so he can power-level his alts through money.

ALTERNATELY we could nix that entire ability and make it something else.

ALTERNATELY we could nix that entire ability and make it something else.

NOOooooOOOOOOOooOOOOooOO

The whole reason Blagar is a merchant is for that ability =P It was much easier to accomplish selling players XP when the skill was Merchant and Master Merchant. Now you have to have an RP skill to accomplish it.

Also its nice to have an outlet for my coin.

Not that I could really stop a rules change but it is an easy fix to say you can only use the XP for yourself. The thought behind it is that the character has an apprenticeship.

The whole reason Blagar is a merchant is for that ability =P It was much easier to accomplish selling players XP when the skill was Merchant and Master Merchant. Now you have to have an RP skill to accomplish it.

For this reason, is exactly why the ability should be nixed.... No player should be an RP skill, just for the advantage it brings OOC...

I know i know, and its not really the case, Blagar is a merchant because "The cook is the last to die."*

I like the idea of having to apprentice under higher level merchant to even be allowed to take the skill. Otherwise everyone would be a merchant. Maybe only be able to give your apprentice 2 levels worth of xp for that season - just enough for them to buy the ability.

So the problem with having to learn a skill from higher level is that if the higher level people die, retire, or don't exist in the first place, it becomes impossible for anyone in game to get/advance in the skill. This sort of happened with the malk net at vampire LARP

So...since I have been out of game for awhile, and I had the old (2pt) merchant skill, what happens now? Will I just be refunded the 2 exp?

Yes. That's how we always handle skill changes. Either you get the equivalent new skill for free, or we refund points.

We'll help you out at sign-in if you want to double check everything.

Suzi I could have taught you up to cap at Vampire. I was breaking cap in Malknet.

Except you know... your character decided to torment mine, so she didn't want to help you.

8^P

I, having finally returned to the internet, would like to point out that when i said sort of I really meant sort of. My character wasn't that interested anyway. On the other hand if you'd been offering delicious delicious dominate...

I had that too. Learned it from the Lasombra... and Obtenebration too.

Shouldn't have spent so much time tormenting Tina.

8^P

I knew going in you wouldn't have wanted to teach me dominate no matter who I was torturing. You were smart enough to know better.

Well yeah... but if you'd cooled it with the torture... not that you could....

*Cheeky*

8^P