Dano-Stonehand

Armor value question.

Alright, so lets say someone wanted me to make them a green scale suit. If I were to buy green aluminum scales and use stainless steel rings, what would the armor point value be?

Three points. Unless you want to let me hit you with an SCA sword. If no ribs break, it's three points Monstrous.

You realize I'm talking another shirt or vest like the one I made, right?

You realize I'm talking another shirt or vest like the one I made, right?

I was under the impression, that if the armor is made with lesser material (such as aluminum), than it isn't as neat as the real deal. Hence why an aluminum chain shirt is 2 pts.So I tihnk it would make sense that Dave is saying 3 for Aluminum and 3 monstrous for the real deal.

I wish I had the patience for chain and scale...

The aluminium ringlord scales held together with stainless rings is undeniably tougher and heavier than an aluminium shirt.

I wouldn't recommend letting him whack you, a bunch of the scales would deform in terrible ways

I was under the impression, that if the armor is made with lesser material (such as aluminum), than it isn't as neat as the real deal. Hence why an aluminum chain shirt is 2 pts.So I tihnk it would make sense that Dave is saying 3 for Aluminum and 3 monstrous for the real deal.

If that were true, I'd be running around with 3 point monsterous right now, which would be awesome.

The aluminium ringlord scales held together with stainless rings is undeniably tougher and heavier than an aluminium shirt.

I wouldn't recommend letting him whack you, a bunch of the scales would deform in terrible ways

Yes, I know they would, but it might be worth it, plus I would have enough scales to repair it.

Dave is saying 3 for Aluminum and 3 monstrous for the real deal.

Not at all what I'm saying.

Aluminum chain shirts got nerfed because their durability, availability, accessibility, and price had become so attractive that we were rapidly approaching a point where it was the only armor worn at KoN. They were dropped to two points solely as a game balance measure - much in the same way Lorica Segmentata was declared to be three point Monstrous armor rather than it's original valuation of four points.

Other aluminum armor is unaffected by this. It was not a nerf to "aluminum armor", it was a nerf specifically to aluminum chain shirts. Aluminum scale, aluminum plate, and other aluminum armors are unaffected by this change.

Scale shirts are three point armor, unless you're building it in such a way (for example, extremely large scales, or scales riveted to a 15oz leather backing, or whatever your crazy minds come up with) that might make it pass the "bat test" - which is the litmus test for what becomes Monstrous armor.

For newer players, the "bat test" is this: we're going to look at your armor and decide if we think it would also protect against significant crushing/smashing/bludgeoning damage. If we (the Rules and/or C&S staff, usually a combination of a few of us) decide we think it would, we'll call your armor Monstrous. If we don't, it's just armor, not Monstrous. If we don't, and you do, and you disagree strenuously enough, I'll generally offer you the opportunity to prove it. That opportunity is usually expressed as you putting on your armor and me hitting you with a piece of SCA rattan with SCA-level force. If there's no rattan handy, I'll just get a tree limb or some other equally rigid, massy item.

Here endeth the lesson.

as a victim of one daves "bat tests" I can attest that he doesn't pull his swings at all. I believe I had the only 4 point leather armor in the system back with the old armor values.