Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

An open request to NPCs and GMs regarding period tents

The issue here is that Pinedale is supposed to be a town, not an armed camp. Monsters aren't dumb, they know that Pinedale is full of skilled, hardy adventurer-types, and would generally stay the hell away if they had any sense of self-preservation. If monsters just attacked constantly in swarms, like they seem to do some nights, it really strains credibility for me. I'm not talking about Orc O'Clock or the end of shift Undead horde at night, that stuff's all in good fun. But it beggars belief that monsters would just troop into town every half-hour or so to be slaughtered.

That's one part of it.

The other part of it is that we want to encourage people to do things like set up cool-ass tents and encampments. Encampments sort of died off when the Inn was across the field and we had 25 people staying in lodges every event. Now that we have the inn back in town and only a handful of people staying in a single lodge, the cabins area is again starting to feel like a town - and the period tents can really add to this, especially if they're being used for active encampments. But no one is going to do that if every time they sit down a frigging skeleton or kasvak leaps out from behind the tent and stabs you in the back.

What do we want Pinedale to be? Do we want it to be an armed camp of people huddling around fires and locking themselves in cabins at night, or do we want it to be a vibrant, living town, with people walking about to visit others, entertainers in the inn, vendors hawking their wares, and lots of fun roleplaying all over?

Personally, I'd like the second option.

Dave, that response truly sold me, I'm on the band wagon.

P.s , lets Pitt trap the surrounding of the tents and leave a single entrance. (this is a joke,hah)

What do we want Pinedale to be? Do we want it to be an armed camp of people huddling around fires and locking themselves in cabins at night, or do we want it to be a vibrant, living town, with people walking about to visit others, entertainers in the inn, vendors hawking their wares, and lots of fun roleplaying all over?

Personally, I'd like the second option.

I think the plot hooks into town work perfectly. People do come to towns, in many games, asking for assistance. Especially if they know we are a strong town filled with combatants. I'm perfectly fine with random adventures out of town, if it is reasonable. I'm also not a fan of walking to Lootsville at 1am on Sunday Morning for a bit of RP. Not my style. There's plenty of ways we could set up Plothooks away from town and have an encounter set up elsewhere, if the communication is there. We can't have NPCs sitting in the middle of the woods for 2 hours, waiting to be attacked. It just doesn't happen like that and time has proved that.

Change what is broken before we worry about changing shit that the only problem is some don't like it.

^^^ This... It's hard to set up reoccurring NPCs and such, when people are so reluctant to treat them like an actual individual, instead of a piece of meat. Bandits..etc...etc are thrown into town as just a combat encounter, instead of RP characters who try to ransack people and actually steal things. If we're talking Realism, we lack it in a couple areas, that isn't monsters storming town all the time. At least the monsters are entertaining, lol.

If we want more RP town and adventures elsewhere, than that needs to be discussed and a plan set in place so that everyone is on the same page. I love the plothooks into town, for a cool encounter, however; I love when a group of Undead, or Orcs ransack through town and we have to defend ourselves. There have been plenty of times where Orcs have come through, whiped the town and then came back for more. That's more unrealistic than them just showing up to scrounge some food and then leave.

Want more realism? Want more immersion? Have bandits, and orcs just start leaving play with stuff. Have the orcs that manage to survive saturday morning, just leave the town with items and such, since people aren't awake saturday morning, or because they didnt wanna deal with them at a certain time. Have them take the items off into the woods for a bit or just leave game. That'll make people get up and move around, not just sitting on their ass with their stuff unattended.... If that's the direction we want to take.

Let's look at all angles here...

I do agree with Dave on some points here. As a tent owner who admittedly doesn't use it to its full encampment potential, I have to admit that Alex and I realized from the start that it would be a monster magnet, and that, along with my play style, has kept me from hanging out in my tent or developing it as more of an encampment. Also, reading this thread makes me want to never bring it back at all. Kind of.

I do think this speaks to a game mentality that I've heard being complained about behind the scenes. While certain elite players cried for more and more difficulty because that's the game they wanted to play, many have felt like game can tend towards a "survival" task rather than a roleplaying game. Who has time to roleplay when you're constantly, and rightly, expecting to get stabbed in the back by that creature, and that guy, and that "innocent" old lady? Personally, I don't mind a high-death game because I play a healer, not a fighter, and enjoy my fictional drama, but I also wonder if the game was ever meant to be so unenjoyable for people who don't want that much stress and terror in their fun time. I wonder if tents/town constantly being attacked is the symptom, not the problem.

I'm excited about tent city. I think there are many good places in town for tents, including the clearing between the Terrace and GoST. Tents should be treated like regular structures, we should be RPing greeting the people whose tents have cropped up, new or old, helping pitch tents ICly even. I think it addes to the realism and it shouldn't matter where they place their tent when an encounter comes to town. A few years back the trails were flooded, we had barricades blocking passage. NPC's didn't move the safety barricades so they could get to the PC's. They chose another way or went around them. Don't attack the tents just because they're there.

So,, again what's wrong with using the archery field? That's where I'd set up my tent if i had one. It's only a few more feet from the center of town but the trees on either side afford more protection and bottlenecks a swarm of monsters that decide to attack from the larger field; which is not to mention giving them a chance to see the town first and head there. It just seems smarter to keep an open structure that's harder to defend off of the most direct path into town. Besides, if people start using the archery field for tents we may end up with a little tent village acting as an extension of the town. It just seems like the better option.

It's not the better option. If you pitch a tent out there, one of two things happens (actually, usually both):

1. Every hook that comes to town ignores you because you're not "in town".

2. When you're inevitably attacked, no one comes to your aid because you're out of sight and hearing of the town.

It's not going to happen. Stop suggesting it. We've tried it, it failed. If YOU want to pitch a tent over there, feel free. The rest of us would like to be part of town.

Adventurers wouldn't pitch a tent in the middle of an entrance to a town, especially if they knew monsters, undead and evil things attacked on a regular basis through that direct path. Unless they expect and want heavy traffic, and that's exactly what you're getting and not happy about.

So the solution would be to move them away from the entrances a bit, or maybe put the tent backs to the trees and face the field. At least then you're actually apart of town and not just an obstacle in the field. There's no reason we cant have tents sent up next to GoST, or Odd Fellows in the open area between cabins, if they are off the paths. Smack dab in the center of the field, or in front of the entrance, is not smart or realistic given the type of world/town we "live" in.

Also, having a bunch of different colored tents RIGHT smack dab next to each other, doesn't look cool... What looks cool is the tent's themselves and using them throughout the area, properly. Dave's tent is the ONLY tent that is used as an actual encampment, and is big enough not to fit directly into town. The other "small" tents, like Amanda and Alex's, could easily fit into town, and not be in the way of entrances, paths..etc...etc

You really do earn your user title.

Thank you :)

I'm just throwing ideas out there, to try and solve this for everyone. If my ideas are shit, than so be it. I'll gladly shut up and just play my game. It doesn't affect my game, I just can't stand the bickering about things that ultimately leads to more bullshit at game and less fun for all. I want you to enjoy your experience as much as others. The last thing I like to read, is that people aren't enjoying themselves because of a stupid fault that's easily fixed with some teamwork and communication.

People have a right to set up their tents wherever they feel, archery fielld or otherwise. Forcing a PC to move their encampment solves nothing and annoys the PC. And Dave is right, monsters should attack town when there is a REASON to (a powerful necromancer is after a certain PC and brings his horde, a group of mercs have been hired to find a person hiding in town, etc.) Standard monster fights should be away from town.

Suggestion: we have InnPCs (NPCs that give food and such). Shouldn't they also have heard rumors about stuff happening around town and out in the woods? "I heard there was a group of orcs that are stopping people from crossing the not-so-covered bridge,"" and "last night I heard a lot of howling, and I thought I heard a few screams. Maybe someone should go take a look" I think the InnPCs should be supplied with a hit list on their shift, hinting at what random encounters are out there. And if they have contact with logistics, they can be fed plots that just went out and make it a rumor they've heard. This lowers the amount of people we need playing hooks (though I'm not saying this should REPLACE hooks at all) and provides the PCs with more ways to find adventure. If the PCs don't check it out, that's their problem.

I am all on board with less stuff attacking town. even if it hurts Teridan's gaming business. It's alll about finding the balance. It is right that PCs will adapt. If they realize that waiting in town doesn't give them anythhing, they'll go follow the quest markers.

I always thought bounty notices were a really good idea. We have had them before. Also, what''s to stop us from having HELP WANTED posters, saying that a person needs help and to come meet them at their farm? This can also be used to bring specific PC groups. "To any Septons in Pinedale, please meet so-and-so at the lake at X time, there is a task important to the gods that needs to be done," and "Seeking medium to help exercise a haunting" as welll as "Brave companions, I have heard you are warriors of great valor. There is work for you in the field of Giants." I just think we need a good solid notice board and for logistics to make use of it. Again, hooks are great, but so is inticing PCs in other ways. Hell, Crimsono Curriers are always a great way to get a plot into the hands of the PCs.

Just wanted to thank everyone. This issue was vastly improved this event - although part of that might also be attributable to me changing the orientation of the tent as well. Thanks!

Good! We specifically told our NPC's to not beeline to the tent city, and they listened, which is the important part. Glad it was better, and thanks to the NPCs who made it happen!