Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Cabin Upgrades!

As promised at the Feb Feast, we are on-track to have glass windows in all the cabins by November's event. Right now, we have added glass windows to cabins 1, 2 and 6. Cabins 4 and 5 already have glass windows, so all that's left is cabin 3. We put in a twelve hour day today to get 1 and 5 done. :)

Zach has some pictures, maybe he'll post them here.

These are single-pane windows, and they still need some gaps filled with caulk and/or spray foam, but we'll take care of that before the October game. I would suggest that the residents of each cabin pool together some money and get some thick curtains, they will really help insulate the glass windows. KoN will add curtain rods for you before October's event. For reference, the side windows in most of the cabins are 50" square.

Please do not continue to staple plastic and blankets over the windows that have glass in them. This was fine when there were just screens in them, but I will lose my freaking mind if I spend three days putting glass in these only to have people still staple blankets over them. Please, make curtains.

Awesome. Thanks to all who helped!

Dave do you know if we're allowed to change the curtains in the inn? Those can be drafty at times. Thicker curtains might help.

also on the list of "To-do" for us is a couple cans (cases?) of foam insulation for crack-filling.

Dave do you know if we're allowed to change the curtains in the inn? Those can be drafty at times. Thicker curtains might help.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I imagine Vanderkamp would love it if we provided nice curtains, rods and hangers for all the cabins. The ones in the Inn are over ten years old. Fix them!

I think I might have a little spare cash left from my birthday. I'll see what I can drum up.

I'm thinking at the very least some with grommets across the top instead of the tab top ones now would be nice. Then they should slide with more ease. Do you happen to know the height of the windows in the inn so I can narrow down my search parameters?

I'm trying to figure out which is more cost effective. Crafting from scratch or buying pre-made.

ProTip: Installing curtains without capping them with a valence or something else that stops airflow in the space between the wall and curtain top will lead to disappointing results. A big cylinder of fabric lightly stuffed with pillow fluff, a fabric layer that tacks nicely into the wood above the window, etc. Something, anything to stop the cooling draft that convection from the cold glass makes will double the effectiveness of your curtains.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I imagine Vanderkamp would love it if we provided nice curtains, rods and hangers for all the cabins. The ones in the Inn are over ten years old. Fix them!

Your going out on a limb is correct. We are very grateful for these and any other measures taken!

we're master fuckin carpenters.

Best joke of the year.

But for serious, we can use hammers. Occasionally saws. Less occasionally tape measures...

Rock stars, both of you.

Hey - Just wanted to check on this. I stay in Cabin 3 in game, so I'm not really sure how the curtain situation is in other cabins...

So, do the cabins have the curtain rods? & if so, do they have the warm curtains that were talked about here?

I recently (like yesterday) bought a new sewing machine, so I'm looking for some basic projects to help me get the swing of it. If we still need warm curtains, I'll do it.

[Also, if someone had window measurements that'd be cool:)]

No cabins besides the Inn have curtains or rods.

The window holes in cabins one and two, at least, are 50"x50". I don't remember any of the other ones.