Sign in to follow this  
Laurelin

New Player Post

Hello everyone,

It was great to meet this group at Robercon last week. I had no idea there was an established LARP system with weekend events so close to where I live (Syracuse). My boyfriend and I are planning on going to the October event next weekend, and we hope to spend the second half of it playing characters. We have done other LARP systems and are super excited to find one which is so rp driven and heavy on costuming. I have a couple of questions about your system.

Logistics Questions:

We aren't sure if our weapons are up to your specs, if we end up weaponless will this prevent us from starting our pcs in October?

If other obligations make it impossible to attend the entire weekend event, is it possible to show up and npc for some of the shifts? (I have another friend who is interested but busy part of the weekend)

Character Creation Questions: (I'm betting that most of these can be answered once we get there, but I would like to show up as prepared as possible)

Are their any options to wear Asian-inspired garb without playing a snow goblin?

What common kinds of faekin are there?

What races or country backgrounds are currently most common, is there anything you would like to see more of?

I'm so glad you signed up on the forums! I was at the con in my green garb with the scarf on my head! Thank you so much for joining us.

I'm not as qualified as some, but I will try to answer some of your questions.

Logistics Questions:

If other obligations make it impossible to attend the entire weekend event, is it possible to show up and npc for some of the shifts? Of course! We welcome NPCs whenever we can have them.

Character Creation Questions: (I'm betting that most of these can be answered once we get there, but I would like to show up as prepared as possible)

Are their any options to wear Asian-inspired garb without playing a snow goblin? Yes indeed. Someone else can give you more of a run down on how that goes.

-At the moment we have blue and black I think.

What races or country backgrounds are currently most common, is there anything you would like to see more of?

-Vleanoans have been super popular lately, but really anything you want is a go. I'm partial to Terrans/Earthkin at the moment because we only have two in town regularly.

Hi!

1. If your weapons don't pass, there are very likely to be various people who will loan you a legal weapon for one event so you're not helpless.

2. We have people who daytrip when they can't make the whole weekend -- our rule is basically that you can only PC as much as you NPC, but you can NPC all you want... so if you can only be there for 2 shifts on Saturday, you can do one of each or NPC both. (Unless it's your first event; you have to NPC 2 shifts before you can PC.)

3. The Asian-inspired garb is all from Gersh, the snow goblin kingdom. But you can be a human or Terran that wears it, though a backstory explaining why will be helpful. If you're an elf wearing asian garb... that's going to take some explaining, as the elves and snow goblins have a twisty unhappy relationship.

4. Right now we have 2 blue faekin and one black one, and a purple on hiatus. colors are up to the player!

5. We have lots of humans (of all assortments), and a bunch of elves (both kinds). there are snow goblins about to come into play as new PCs, and we're low on Terrans and Drakes at the moment. Play what appeals, though: the balance is always shifting!

Chris or Zach or one of the other player outreach folks can surely tell you more. :)

Welcome! I'm relatively new myself October being My second game but wanted to say welcome. I have some larp xp and have to say this is the best larp I've ever been to the atmosphere is amazing and the players are the greatest.

Hello! I was another of the players that was at the Con, I was the one who had the red tunic on. Glad to see you will be coming to game this weekend.

As for your questions...

1. People have a lot of spare weapons that would lend them to you for a event and at worse if you talk to the GM's you could even barrow a NPC sword. Dont worry much on this one, We will have you covered.

2. As Jenica said. A lot of people day trip so its cool to just come up for when you can.

3. With most garb styles, as long as you have a good and believable reason to wear that style, you can.

4. In game there is 2 blue, a black, and a purple one. The other colors I have seen have been White, Green, and Orange. And if you ask players that have been here longer than I have there might have been a few others.

5. Play anything that you would like over what the game needs more of. Whats important is that you have a PC that you want to play. Whatever that is, Do it.

Now, I dont know if anyone said anything about this but October is kind of a special game. We celebrate the Harvest Festival in game on second shift. Its is a once a year party that is an all PC shift, no GM shift. So its a little different than most games because of that. But I hope we were able to answer all the questions and if you have any more feel free to post them up and we will give you all of the information that you need.

Welcome, welcome.

I'd add in my responses, but it looks like our other players have answered your questions sufficiently. .

My name is Chris and I am the Marketing and Player Outreach Second. Feel free to message me here or privately with any questions or concerns you may have!

I'm always available to chat! See you in October!

Hello everyone,

It was great to meet this group at Robercon last week. I had no idea there was an established LARP system with weekend events so close to where I live (Syracuse). My boyfriend and I are planning on going to the October event next weekend, and we hope to spend the second half of it playing characters. We have done other LARP systems and are super excited to find one which is so rp driven and heavy on costuming. I have a couple of questions about your system.

Hi, welcome! I'm Dave, I'm our First Marshal (this means I'm essentially CEO of KoN. No, it's not as glamorous as that sounds.) Let me see if I can address your questions.

Logistics Questions:

We aren't sure if our weapons are up to your specs, if we end up weaponless will this prevent us from starting our pcs in October?

We have a large stock of latex NPC weapons, we'd be happy to loan you something suitable for a shift or two. In addition, lots of players have big bags of weapons and will often loan them. Hell, I've got a Calimacil longsword and an English longbow I can loan you if you need.

If other obligations make it impossible to attend the entire weekend event, is it possible to show up and npc for some of the shifts? (I have another friend who is interested but busy part of the weekend)

No problem, we just ask that you keep a balance of NPC/PC time as equal as possible.

Are their any options to wear Asian-inspired garb without playing a snow goblin?

Sure. Anyone can be inspired by anything - just make sure you have a good answer as to why you're wearing Gershan attire when it comes up. :)/>

All of them. If you can match contacts and wig, you can do it.

Personally, I'd like to see fewer "special snowflakes" and more characters typical of their race and background - but that's just me. You're free to do whatever you want, and we have no special requests.

See you Friday! :)/>

Welcome welcome! Name's Lauren. :D

October is a great event to start, even if you NPC the all-PC shift on Saturday morning, it's a great time to meet everyone's PCs and get to get involved with some great roleplay!

Like others have said, there are a lot less drakes and earthkin in the game than most other races, but drakes have much higher costume requirements than most others as well. Snow goblins, which are also low on the population scale, are the more Asian inspired race, but we do have / have had PCs from Gersh that are not snow goblins.

Look forward to seeing you! You'll love it!

How odd, I didn't see any of these other responses before I posted mine.

history-channel-hd-aliens-thumb.jpg

Hey all, I was the red and white striped hat, er, I mean i was the girl wearing the red and white striped hat, and if you want help coming up with good garb ideas for your characters ( how to make the Asian thing work, what other options might look good, what fits various backgrounds and cultures, what will be easy, cheap, anything) shoot me a PM and I will be more than happy to help you out (:

-Suzie