Sign in to follow this  
Jenica

Fashion and armor

I'm a big fan of garb and armor in our game being more functional than "pretty" or "coordinated", but this stuff sure is pretty. :)

Medieval armor goes high fashion

Which got me thinking about an observation I was making to myself at game last weekend. We have a lot of players who have a cohesive "look" -- Suzie/Delia comes to mind immediately -- but the players and characters I really admire are the ones who wear exactly what they need to wear to effectively portray their character, and to survive/thrive in the Freelands. In Delia's case, her look is striking, coherent, and planned. Totally an "outfit". But IMO it's a core part of that thriving -- she's an entertainer! She should look *exactly* as she does. So when I see a stern (crass and aggressive? :)) PC wearing a floppy hat or a sparkly necklace, I don't think "that looks dumb with his gear", I think "I wonder what it does that makes it valuable to him?"

Pretty pictures, though. :)

In Delia's case, her look is striking, coherent, and planned. Totally an "outfit". But IMO it's a core part of that thriving -- she's an entertainer! She should look *exactly* as she does.

In praise of your keen judgement/perception, that look is indeed chosen to be a core part of her thriving and is NOT what Delia would prefer to wear if left to her own devices somewhere. I've always said she's kind of inclined to be butch, born into a life that rewards her for being anything but.