thunderstave

Weapon Frogs!

Two Leg-Mounted Weapon Frogs for Sale!

How They're Made

6 oz Leather Backing. Machine Slicked (Polished smooth edges). Hand Dyed. Tough Hardware. Treated and Broken In with 100% Neatsfoot Oil. Polished and Sealed with Mink Oil and Light Silicone.

6 oz Leather Retaining Loops

3-4 oz 1/2" Straps

What's For Sale

SOLD Leg-Mounted Double Frog- $55 - Ox Blood, USMB Black, Antique Brass Hardware

Detail 1 Detail 2 Detail 3 Detail 4 Detail 5

• Nothing else draws quite so smoothly as one of these leg-mounted frogs. I use longer retaining loops to prevent binding and keep your blades and hafts from bouncing and dragging in the muck.
  • Being able to draw the sword with the special material I needed in my right hand, at the right moment has literally made the difference in several encounters when I was jumped in the dark. Your parry becomes a draw cut and every tenth of a second counts when you want to strike first.
  • The second weapon draws easily in reverse grip with your off hand for fast blocks and quick dual-wielding.
  • This one has an Ox Blood (almost a red wine) base and straps with USMC Black frogs. This is more of a gothic point aesthetic and it looks really cool.

Leg-Mounted Single Frog - $40 -Chocolate Brown, Antique Brass Hardware

Detail 1 Detail 2 Detail 3 Detail 4 Detail 5 Detail 6

• Nothing else draws quite so smoothly as one of these leg-mounted frogs. I use a longer retaining loop to prevent binding and keep your blade or haft from bouncing and dragging in the muck. It works great even on a long-handled axe.
  • Your parry becomes a draw cut and every tenth of a second counts when you want to strike first.
  • This one is finished entirely in Chocolate Brown. This is a minimalist design. Nothing about it is made to call attention to the rig itself; just nice, clean, finish details.

I also make Belt-Mounted Ring and Loop Frogs.

• These sit cleanly on your hip for minimal bulk.
  • Usually a basic one is $20.
  • I use deep loops to help minimize the chance of flopping and binding that can occur on these style frogs.

Check out how they draw!

Single: Detail 1 Detail 2 Detail 3 Detail 4 Detail 5 Detail 6 Detail 7

Double: Detail 1 Detail 2 Detail 3 Detail 4 Detail 5 Detail 6 Detail 7 Detail 8 Detail 9 Detail 10

The Details:

• Belt Mounted / Leg Mounted: There's a sweet spot for drawing a long weapon and it's usually lower than a simple belt frog (or the "tucked through your belt" style) can provide. Leg-Mounted Weapon Frogs are hung like a rapier fighter would wear her sword. (Think old west gunslingers or modern tactical holsters here.) It's a faster, cleaner draw. It takes advantage of the body mechanics you already have. (The First Position Parry in Olympic Fencing is exactly where your sword winds up after a draw. Not a coincidence.)
  • Single Weapon / Double Weapon: Stacking a second weapon on the same side has real advantages. You can navigate the tight spaces in the Inn more easily, poke your party members half as often, and choose to draw
  • weapon with your main hand without fooling around.
  • Colors: Black, Brown, Dark Brown, Mahogany, Red, Ox Blood, Green, Dark Green, Blue, Dark Blue, and Natural.
  • Fasteners: Bright Brass, Antique Brass, Bright Nickel Silver, Antique Nickle Silver
  • Mounting Points: Solid Welded Nickle-Plated Steel or Solid Welded Brass Rings. They give you options for arranging your kit.
  • Aged/Distressed: The belt will look worn, broken in, and give all appearance to have been with you for a while. The benefit is that it won't have any of the stress, cracks, or water damage that older equipment is plagued by. You could do it yourself, but I will make sure any scoring and scratches are re-sealed and protected against damage by future water and sun exposure. Best of both worlds.
  • Wide Straps: I can beef up your adjustable straps to 5/8" width if you want something super durable.
  • Belt-Loop Snaps: If you want to really simplify getting in and out of your kit, ask for these. I can add Line 20 Snaps to your Wide Straps. The advantage is that you can put your Leg-Mounted Rack on after you have the rest of your kit assembled. This is a luxury many veteran players crave, and never regret.

Ask here or PM me for questions or custom orders!

Bumping this for newer players who were asking at the Crawl.