Sign in to follow this  
Emily

Fake Incense For Shrine

So, my character is a Getshan Ancestor worshipper, and even though she's not Ordained I'd like to set up an ancestor shrine for role play & atmosphere purposes.

Problem is, most Asian ancestor shrines involve incense, to which I am allergic (and I really don't want to smoke up a cabin). Does anyone know whether I can find fake incense (like the flameless candles we use) that would look the part but not really burn? Or might something like coating a red glow stick in paint and pebbly sand except the tip work?

Easiest option might be to get one of those really thin glow sticks, like the sort used for bracelets, that is red and do your sand idea.

If you're looking for some other options here's two that are lighted branch type things.

Lit branch 1

Lit branch 2

Or there are these that you could run a bit of piping over to make them look like a stick or something.

Light 1

Light 2

Light 3

Ooooo or another brain idea that might be better. Get a reed diffuser. Like this one.

91FB0uV2NoL._SL1500_.jpg

You could get some sort of wrapping or bury the base almost to the top. You could just add a touch of red paint to the end of the reeds to pretend they're on fire. I like this particular one because of the way the holes in the base are set up. Just seems like it would have more of that 'incense to my ancestors' type feel.

Nothing says you'd need to use a scent. But if there was one you did like, for instance say mint, cinnamon, pineapple, whatever, you could put that in the base to diffuse up the reeds.

Ooh, cool! I never even thought of using Christmas lights! And those will be popping up in stores any day now :P

The reed diffuser also looks cool and interesting. I could cover or paint the base with the names of the dead written in tiny Klingon script...

Emily - I have burned incense in the cabin every event, including this one.

Has it bothered your allergies? I did not know you were allergic but it didn't seem to be causing you a problem, either. If it has been bothering you I will stop burning it.

I get minor snuffles every game, it's probably a mixture of dust and mold and kerosene heaters. I hadn't noticed your incense, so that means it's probably not adding anything more to the problem that's already there with my allergies to many airborne particles. (Also helps that I don't sleep on the same side of the cabin)

Still, that raises an interesting question... I've not been in proximity to incense in years, unlike cigarettes, and it might be that it wouldn't affect me the way I expect. I'll see if it causes me any problems, and if not just get a gentle scent. Its not like I have an adverse reaction to woodsmoke...

Mkay. I usually light 1 cone and 3 small sticks on a burner that I keep on the table for temple atmosphere (and to help mask the kerosene smell).

If it starts to cause a problem with your allergies let me know, it is not a necessity and I don't want it causing any health issues.

EDIT - Also, may I suggest Sage to you? Since it's simply a dried leaf that provides a very potent incense smell, you may not have any issues. I have a bag of it - try to remind me and I will bring you some of the leaves so you can try it out for yourself and see if you like the smell, and if you are bothered by the smoke.

the idea about to be said needs approval before action. just a suggestion: hangzhou_electric_candles.jpg

there are actual electric candles commonly used in modern chinese ancestor worship/reverence. electricness might be no good for game but it's something I've seen in places from dentist's offices to restaurants and even actual temples. some may even recognize them for use in some churches.

That's awesome! I'll check those out.

I ordered a pair of these from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IMIN4JG

So if I don't get a spot in the temple I can use them outside.'

Annnd.... now I want them.