Sign in to follow this  
Emily

Sewing machine recs

I need a new sewing machine. The current one I have was a wedding gift to my mother more than 30 years ago, and most of the functions no longer work... like the reverse. And the stitch selector.

So I'm asking for a new sewing machine (or at least help with buying one) as a Christmas gift. Anyone have any suggestions / tips / "don't buy this one for the love of god"s?

It really depends on what you need/plan to use it for, your skill level, what type of machine you like/prefer, and how much you're willing to spend. I think your best bet would be to talk to the nice ladies at Joann's and see what they suggest. They are probably a lot more familiar with all the different types of machines than anyone at KoN (except maybe Ann) and can give you a really well informed suggestion. They will, of course, try to upsell you (because that's what they are trained to do), but if you give them a "this is all I need it to do and this is all I want to spend," you should do fine. smile.gif

Also - amazon. You get good reviews there, and truthful ones.

Just a I wish I had money to care note; LARP garb, like quilting, would benefit significantly from ever bit of extra length you can get in terms of sewing machine arm. Not necessarily enough to be worth getting the long arm ones, but absolutely enough to be a really valid tiebreaker. If I never have to shove half of a thigh length gambeson through the gap between the sewing part and the machine again, it will be too soon.