Sign in to follow this  
Julie

Looking for Advice on Painting a Shield Cover

I'm going to make my first foray into painting on a cloth cover for a shield. I have questions for those of you that have done this before:

• What sort of fabric is best?
  • Do you pre-treat the area to be painted in any way? (gesso? some sort of primer?)
  • What kind of paint works best? (I don't want it to flake off when it gets hit.)
  • Anything else you can think of that I should know.

Thanks!

Are you covering a Dag shield or an SCA shield or a KoN shield? What are you gluing the fabric to?

KON shield. (Feb feast prop.) The base is luan. We intended to cinch a cloth cover onto the shield. The thought is, since it's a forever item, we want it to be repairable, so an easily removed cover makes it easy to replace the foam on front and around the edges.

Duck cloth. I've had fine luck painting with acrylics directly onto duck cloth.

Yes. By current GoST Shield is duck cloth with Acrylic paint applied directly. No sealers or primers. I have yet to have the paint chip off after 2+ years.

Jimmy Vertucci's got a belt flag that I painted, acrylic on duck cloth, over five years ago. It still looks fine after five years of Dag fighting wearing it, rolling around on the ground, fighting in rainstorms, snow, etc.

Thanks! I was afraid it would be "too easy" to just paint straight on it with acrylics. Glad to know it works. :D

Stopping back in to say thanks again... the acrylic worked great on the duck cloth. It does not appear that it'd come off without a lot of abuse or effort.

Also, in case anyone else decides to try this later, the Narnian ladies at Father Christmas gave me excellent advice for transferring my design from paper to the shield: 1) partially tape down your design so that it won't move as you work, 2) use transfer paper (like the kind Jo-ann's sells) and then immediately re-trace with a dress-maker's pencil so you don't accidentally rub off the very faint marks from the transfer. I am sure this saved me a giant pile of frustration!