Sign in to follow this  
ubergeek2012

Clarifications on changes to Ruin

Now that there's a way to swing for acid damage as a repeated melee/weapon damage type, how does this interact with Enchant Shield? Does it protect against acid weapons at all? Does it stop one damaging hit? Absorb 4?

Is Ruin cast into a mage blade for 4 strikes still incapable of damaging a shield, requiring legal hits on a person to discharge? Or is a shield now a legal target for Ruin strikes?

1) It will stop the first Acid hit regardless of the amount of damage called. After the first hit, the 'Enchant Shield' will be spent and take damage as normal.

2) Ruin cannot be channeled through a Mage Blade as the tag bags aren't magic. It creates tag bags in the same manner as Creeping Rot.

Ruin is a spell that makes spackets

OR

Ruin is a spell that lets your weapon hit for Acid

Enchant shield says the first acid, yes? That's what it means.

Basically, what chris said.

Bob has a point about the 'legal target' thing. It's a little ambiguous. for example:

'4 magic strike' hitting a shield wouldn't go through and hit the arm like a tag bag would, the hit wouldn't even expend one of the charges on a sword. However we are saying 4 acid works.

The answer here is that Acid is a special damage type with special rules. It works on shields, no matter the delivery type. It's worth thinking about a streamlined consistent way to make these all work rules-wise.

I thought we've always said that the poison and acid spells (Creeping Rot/Ruin) counted pretty much as alchemical and not magic... IE: You cant reflect them, because they're not magical, but they can be stopped with stuff that stops poisons..etc...

This would make me think that to an earlier question, you wouldn't be able to cast these spells on Elven Steel, because they are considered non-magical. Just liek you cant apply poisons or acids to any Elven Steel material.

I'm really not a fan of the idea that ES/Silver can ever swing for Poison or that GI can be a target for EW, WB, os SS.

It just pisses me off as a way of doing things.

The ONLY exception I can think of might be Transmutation (Alchemy 5) which ought to switch the Damage Type of the weapon completely, in my opinion.

The text of the Ruin spell in the 4.0 rules wiki specifies that it can't be channeled through a mage blade, but Creeping Rot does not.

We've never had a limitation on enchanting Goblin Iron, but we did disallow poisons on Silver and Elven Steel. Until now, the only way to apply poison damage to a weapon was through alchemical blade poisons. If it's going to be allowed, it should be explicit in the spell description for Creeping Rot, and probably Ruin to be safe.

As much as it would be nice to be able to case Creeping rot on my Elven Stell hammer to hit bagmen with, the idea doesn't seem right. I tend towards shying away from things that allow one tool to be the right one for every job.