Sign in to follow this  
Ashlin Burnheart

Sanctuary and banish/dissapate

As of right now the rules read

Dissipate

This spell allows the caster to merge with any surrounding element by magically melding with it. When casting the spell, the character is required to touch the element (in the case of water or earth, in the case of air and fire, holding out one's hand towards the element is sufficient) with one hand and hold a blue flag over the head with the other hand. The character is then invulnerable to the outside world. At the same time the character cannot interact with the outside world in any fashion until they leave the dissipated state. No action may be taken while inside the earth (drinking potions, casting spells, or drawing a weapon). Other characters are required to ignore the dissipated character even if they see the caster disappear into thin air. Witnesses dismiss this magic effect as losing site of the caster in the woods or some other rationale. The spell ends if the caster decides to reform, if the blue flag drops below their head or the when the duration of the spell expires. The character must reform in the same spot they dissipated. This spell does not allow the caster to move to a new location. Only the character's personal and hand held objects dissipate with them and all those objects reform with them.

Banish

This spell creates a single dart of magical energy that 'force-Dissipates' the enemy. The victim acts as though under the effects of Dissipate, though they cannot break free of the ability. Additionally, unlike Dissipate, the caster knows where the subject will reappear once the spell expires. At the completion of the spell's duration, the person may act freely as if nothing happened to them. If the target has a blue flag, they should raise it above their heads as if they were in a dissipate spell.

Sanctuary

Sanctuary creates a twenty-foot diameter bubble of magical force, focused on a spot indicated by the caster. Even though the bubble appears as a dome, it in fact is assumed to form a complete bubble with the lower half manifesting below the ground. This prevents attempts to tunnel under the Sanctuary in order to attack the people inside. In order to use this spell, the caster must place a blue flag or tag bag on the ground indicating the center of the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary does not move from that point and the caster must stay within the spell's area effect or the Sanctuary will drop. The caster may move around inside the Sanctuary without ending the spell as long as they stay in its area of effect. The Sanctuary can enclose other people as long as they remain inside the spell's area of effect. If an occupant other than the caster decides to leave the Sanctuary, the spell does not end and that player may not reenter the Sanctuary. Players, friend or foe, within ten feet of the Sanctuary's center at the time of its creation are automatically enclosed in the bubble.

A caster is not permitted to cast a new Sanctuary until the old one has ended so there is always a gap in protection between castings of this spell.

If the Sanctuary is raised in a place where a twenty-foot diameter bubble would not have room to form, such as a tunnel, it is assumed to manifest completely but will not effect adjoining areas that might contain other players.

Once cast, only magic spells can enter or leave the Sanctuary. This allows magic users to cast from inside the bubble but also makes them vulnerable to magical attack from the outside. All other forms of attack and people who attempt to enter the Sanctuary are forcibly repulsed away. Gasses will not enter the Sanctuary but it is assumed that the bubble contains enough air to support any number of people for the duration of the spell.

Dissipate as read keeps a person in a fixed area, they are still there, they just cannot move or be seen/attacked. Sanctuary does not allow a the caster to leave the 20 foot bubble. They must stay within the sphere at all time. Air is trapped within the sphere, the person who dissipates is trapped in the air in the sphere.

The question is can a person who casts Sanctuary Dissipate and does it keep the Sanctuary act.

Sorry about the title

I'm not a rules marshal, but I would think that since the caster can't move outside the bubble while dissipated, the bubble remains?

Thats my first thought but I have never see it.

Dissipating inside a sanctuary is fine with me. Dissipating won't do you to much good, since a dispel only need to hit any area covered by the sanctuary.

Thats my first thought but I have never see it.

It's a waste of MP except in very specific occasions.

Sanctuary!

I'm going to throw magic from within this circle at my opponent!

Oh crap, they have magic too!

Dissipate!

I should have done this to start with!

Unless of course you're using it to block a cabin door, then get away from the opponents' magic missiles.

MAGIC MISSILE.

If the caster of sanctuary is killed (via missile weapon or tag bag) does the sanctuary drop? Because if that's true Sanctuary + Dissipate is a serious defensive combo. Can't get inside, can't kill the caster. (granted, it's 5 power to do)

I just read it somewhere on the forums but can't find it now, to my understanding unless the person is removed from the target area Sanctuary stays in place. That is how both plots where Anti Magic Aura was used to kill the caster played out.