Sign in to follow this  
Gratus

Monsterous Armor

So, I know Segmenta and 1-piece chest plate are

http://legvi.tripod....rium/id109.html

(Pics at bottom)

But wondering about other styles- just a thought to do something like Lamellar

http://ellsfjordtrading.wikispaces.com/Lamellar+D+PlatesYes, I'd take the SCA rattan test - I'd think 2 layers of 16g with cord cushioned between would be more than enough to even block live steel. 3 monsterous? Not solid so probably not 4.

1. Not that a bunch of segmenta wouldn't look great; and

2. worse case ya take a bit off if it doesn't fit or add on if you start to "grow" or hate it and totally make something different.

Thoughts? I'm in the brainstorming phase.

Thanks for the feedback!

Your links go nowhere. (Now the do! Might have been on my end.)

That lam will pass as 3 point armor like chain, but not as monstrous.

Monstrous Armor must be rigid, offer overlapping coverage of metal plates, and the plates must be large enough to spread force over a significant area of the protected region. A pile of 2" by 3" plates laced together, no matter how tightly, are not likely to pass on two of the three points of advice listed.

Additionally, this is simply a game balance consideration. I understand that a case could be made for metal lamellar passing "the bat test" and being counted as Monstrous armor at KoN; after all, it's ubiquitous in the Society and we beat each other with sticks there fairly regularly.

However, if we do that, we're going to see a rash of 8-pound aluminum lamellar hauberks. They will, overnight, become "too good not to have". Then we'll have to nerf them, people will be mad that their $300 shirt of armor isn't what they were originally paying for anymore, and there will be bad feels. After all, this is what happened already twice - once with Lorica Segmentata (when the price on Indian-made Segmentata went well under $200 on eBay), and once with aluminum chain (when the price on a riveted shirt of aluminum Pakistani maille went under $150 on ThinkGeek). It's not like we haven't already screwed this up, twice. I'd like to think I'm trainable...

Easier, from a game balance perspective, to simply not allow lamellar to be counted as Monstrous. It's at least a little dubious (because I'm not going to hit it with rattan, I'm going to use a maple baseball bat or an ash axe handle), so we're just going to leave it alone.

as being victim to the "bat test" and passing it when I had the tree trunk armor made for me (out of leather) I still wasn't granted monstrous armor so the bat test isn't the only thing that it needs to pass.

Went with Zach's recommended- Deepeeka's Lorica Segmenta- got a great deal with a local shop (was sitting in their window for 2 years) it's not stainless though (will need some major elbow grease to get off some real deep spots of rust).