Sign in to follow this  
John Spencer

Question for steel armor thickness

Hello guys and gals of the armor smithing/rating community,

I have a question for you! I am looking into making some armor for my next pc. I would like to know how thick the armor should be for monstrous rating versus regular armor rating steel armor thickness?

Thanks,

John/Saber

It's less a matter of how thick the metal is than about how it's put together. You can also go with thinner metal if its tempered steel.

There are two components here. The Rules and Prop Atmo part.

For the rules, rigidity is key. You don't want to easily be able to bend it with your hands. Would you feel comfortable getting hit by a bat wearing the armor? If not, then it's not monstrous. This is why brigadine, scale mail, or lamellar is not monstrous. It also should not have points or ridges that will cause incidental damage to weapon or people if struck.

For props, it needs to be constructed out of period materials (IE: not plastic, kydex, etc). It also needs to look like armor. We are unlikely to pass a 'breast plate' that looks like a peice of sheet metal with that was bent and has some leather straps bolted on.

As a general rule of thumb, don't make any armor from anything thinner than 18 gauge mild steel or it's equivalent thickness.