Sign in to follow this  
Systia

Hello everyone!

Hello there! ^^ My name is Kaitlyn and I'm new to LARPing. I met a ninja in Rochester at a kosplay event who told me about KoN and I'd love to give it a try. I would really like to be an NPC at the September event to get a feel for it if I kan get the garb together in time. Is there any advice anyone kan give me about going to my first event?

Bring lots of socks, a pair of shower shoes, more socks and basic garb. If you can't make garb drawstring sleep pants or scrub pants work. Have you read the rules set? Did I mention socks?

Hi Kaitlyn and welcome!

For your first event you will want to make sure to bring some basic NPC garb, if you don't have medieval style clothing then just plain sweatclothes will generally work okay, scrub bottoms can pass and hiking boots with boot wraps. Skirts are also nice to have but keep in mind we run around the woods a lot so pants are usually suggested. We have many totes full of costumes that you will be able to use for various roles.

An extra set of clothing (and yes, a lot of socks) are good things to have in case it rains or the ground is muddy. Anything you need as far as showering supplies, we have the bath house available to us on site.

For food, we will send players to the Inn as NPC farmers to eat free of charge but it's always good to have snacks for when you need them.

For sleeping purposes we have bunks, they are twin sized and you will want to bring blankets and pillows as there are no sheets or bedding on the matresses. A sleeping bag also works well.

Any other questions you may have feel free to ask!

Haha I will be sure to bring lots of socks :P I have read the rules. I'm looking to make everything, but I will definitely keep that in mind when it komes to the pants ^^ Thank you so much!

Hi! I'm Maggie and I'm the Marketing and Player Outreach 2nd Marshall around here. I saw you like the facebook page and was wondering when you'd post! (I hope that's not weird).

You must have met Dave C. He's the only ninja in Rochester we have! He's the best.

Lauren and Chris answered most of your question, but other than what they said, coming to your first event will be really fun. We have a great group of people that are there just to help newbies and we have a newbie speech at the beginning of each game to give you the low down on actual game mechanics. I think if you come in with energy and a good attitude you'll get a hang of things right away :). We have a lovely community of people who will definitely be able to answer your questions when you get there or will be able to point you at someone who can. Until then, bring the physical things that Lauren and Chris mentioned and post here or PM me any questions you have about anything else. NPCing your first event and even first couple events is a great idea. That's what I did and it helped me learn the game a lot easier.

Definitely read the rules, world book, and put together a basic set of garb and you'll be golden! Don't worry, it's a fun place to be and I'm glad you're joining us. I love new people.

also! If you need help putting together some garb, I'm sure down below in the LARP Weapons, Garb, and Gear section people will have great advice as to what materials to use and probably some patterns to try out. Us ladies can definitely advise you on what looks cool and what will be practical for running around in the woods.

Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to this event. And I will definitely be back with questions when it komes to making my charakter. I don't need to have one before my first event if I'm just going to be an NPC, do I?

Thank you so much, I'm really looking forward to this event. And I will definitely be back with questions when it komes to making my charakter. I don't need to have one before my first event if I'm just going to be an NPC, do I?

Nope! Some people come in their first game with a PC, but others wait a few events or even a few years before they make a PC. I personally NPC-ed three events before I made my PC, but you can make one whenever you like.

I should have waited longer to make my pc. XD Sometimes coming in at low levels stinks if you don't make great friends to protect your butt.

So, I read the rules but I'm not quite sure I understand how the leveling and experience goes. Why do you level up faster as a NPC?

Hello, My name is Steven. Its nice to meet you. I NPCed for 2 years before bringing in a PC so I am a huge advocate of it.

How experience works is like this. When you come and sign into the event and pay your site fee you get 3XP for your PC. (Minus your first game. You get all the sign in XP but it is free because it is your first game.) Now at KoN you are Required to NPC as many shifts as you PC. KoN has 4 shifts of gametime so most people NPC 2 shifts and PC 2 shifts. For your ""Mandatory"" (For lack of a better word) NPC shifts you get 1XP for each. If you NPC extra shifts beyond that you are given 2XP per shift. The counter to this is that when you are playing your PC you DO NOT gain any XP for the shifts you are PCing. So you only gain levels when you NPC and NPCing more than 2 shifts speeds up that leveling rate. There are other things as well that can gain you XP, the biggest one is helping to clean up after the event is over but I dont want to overload you with information on all the ways you can get XP.

Leveling in our system is a much simpler thing. Every PC starts at level 1 which gives you 6 skill points to spend on your PC. For levels 2-10 you level up every 5 XP you gain. Starting at level 10, to get to every level past 10 takes 10XP. Each level up give you 2 more skill points you can use on your PC's Skills.

I hope I explained everything well enough. If you still have questions on anything though please feel free to ask.

Oh okay ^^ I understand now. Thank you so much! I think I'll wait awhile before worrying about my PC then.

Yeah, it's a lot easier to create a PC after you get a feel for the game. The physical character sheet and the running of the game should clear up everything Steve didn't say.

(Also, that was a M&PO approved message by Steve because I suck and couldn't post myself).