Malhaku

Hello! KoN Newbie here

Hello all,

Since going to Gen Con last month I've been chomping at the bit to experience Larping again. Back in the day, I was a semi-regular at COS Quest down in Pittsburgh. However, this was a decade ago at this point. Looking around a bit online, KoN seems to line up the best with my experience and interests. I'm thinking of coming out for the October event and NPCing it up.

Before I launch into my questions, me! My name is Jeremy and I'm located in Rochester. My username, Malhaku, is actually the name of my character from COS Quest and at this point I use it for e v e r y t h i n g. I'm very involved with Odyssey of the Mind and my main hobby is designer board and card games. I'm loud, overly energetic at times, and am known for a continuous stream of jokes... they are mostly bad jokes, but every once in a while I pull a good one off.

Now I have some questions that I know friendly Larpers will be glad to help me with. I read the Newbie pages on the website, skimmed the rules, and lurked the forum a little bit so hopefully my questions aren't too stupid.

- Combat: The website said that this is not "tap-block" combat. Granted, it's been a while. However, tap-block is what I'm accustomed to. Does it turn out being completely different? Am I going to get crushed for a while? If that's the case, that's okay. It's not like I'm planning to do anything but NPC for a while. I'm just curious how badly I'm going to perform.

- Sleepin: If I'm able to make it in October, I will be coming solo. I might be able to drag my fiance along at some point, but she's not up for the initial exploration. How do I go about securing a bed? Is there just a thread in the forum? Is there always a few extra places? I just don't want to drive 2 hours and then have issues with having a place to sleep

- Dress: If one thing is very obvious, it's that you guys are a lot stricter on dress code than Quest was. As much as I'd love to be able to drop a few hundred on a good pair of LARP boots, that's not in the cards at the moment. What do people commonly do for entry level? And while I'm at it, what shirt/pants have people found works well for NPCing?

- Weapons: I'm visiting my parents down in PA this weekend I was going to check my stuff in the basement. I believe I still have my boffer weapons. They're not latex (I believe the forum term I saw was burrito). Is that okay for NPC level? If they're still around, I have a longsword and two daggers with a slight curve

Anyway, sorry for all of the questions. Hope to see you all soon!

Hi! I'm Maggie the Marketing and Player Outreach Second Marshall. Welcome! I can't wait to meet you. While you wait for our next event, I recommend you read our Rulebook and Worldbook, they're really nice and should help you get accustomed to our world, but we do have an orientation for new players every game and some of the things can be learned while playing.

Onto your questions:

Combat: I'm going to defer this question to my first marshal, Zach (forum name Octavius). I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I know he will.

Sleeping: There WILL be a place for you to sleep. We always have a few extra bunks and if things get a little full, some veteran players have cots they can use so you can have a bunk. Logistics keeps track of all that so if you start going regularly, we can assign you a permanent place. There is a thread (look up and read Sleeping arrangements for this season).

Dress: Boots are probably the hardest part, especially for men. Though a lot of people do recommend saving up for good boots, a lot of people wear these Leather Wellingtons from Walmart to start out. The best NPC pants are honestly a pair of black/brown scrub bottoms without huge obvious pockets. For a top, most sorts of tunics will work, linen recommended, but cotton is cheap and easy. I really, really wouldn't recommend white though, it can get a little dirty.

Weapons: We allow some things like that for NPCing (sometimes), I'll have Zach make a ruling on that. Everything will need to look okay and be combat and safety approved first.

Don't apologize for asking questions, that's what we're here for :D

Since I don't srr Zach. I'll field yhr tap block question. I'm Chris, one of the combat anf safety refs. You may take a few good hits, but as a general rule the force we put into blows is not enough to crush a block. I can honestly say I can't remember a single instance when it was an issue.

Hi and welcome! I'm MK, the props and atosphere marshal. As far as burrito boffers go, they're passable, but not preferable. We have a stash of latex weapons for npcs, so you can just use those until you're ready to bring in a PC. There are a lot of reasonably priced latex weapons that you can (and should) look into getting before coming in with a PC. Please feel free to ask if you have other questions about garb, gear or props. I'm happy to help. :)

Oh, I'm not worried about the actual physical contact. I have a big thick skull and plenty of torso 'padding' (more than I should to be honest). I just used to be pretty good at making sure my weapon touched someone else's weapon before it contacted me. I was great on defense. I assume that's what was meant by 'tap block'. I am mainly curious about how horrible of a combatant I'll be after so long and in a new system. It's by far the smallest concern. Part of the beauty of doing npc is if I stink out of the gates, I won't have wasted my character... I'll just be a minor speed bump goblin (or an ogre susceptible to food-based traps...)

In that case, it will probably take some adjusting. You'll pick it up quickly. The combat is simple enough that you'll remember in no time.

Hello, I'm Zach the head of Player Outreach. I'm also a combat and safety referee.

Looks like Maggie and Chris already got to some of your questions. Let me address a few points.

- Combat: The website said that this is not "tap-block" combat. Granted, it's been a while. However, tap-block is what I'm accustomed to. Does it turn out being completely different? Am I going to get crushed for a while? If that's the case, that's okay. It's not like I'm planning to do anything but NPC for a while. I'm just curious how badly I'm going to perform.

We describe our system as a full speed but not full force system. It is also and honor system. (IE: You only take your own hits. You do not call out hits on others) You will certainly have a small learning curve if you are used to tap blocking. We require solid hits and solids blocks. If you already know how to fight in a LARP then you will adjust quickly. Also combat is only a small part of novitas. You will probably only be fighting 10-20% of the time.

We have several players in Rochester that run a fighter practice. I also run a fighter practice here in Liverpool. I recommend you attend one of these to get your feet wet. Let me know and I can give you details.

- Sleepin: If I'm able to make it in October, I will be coming solo. I might be able to drag my fiance along at some point, but she's not up for the initial exploration. How do I go about securing a bed? Is there just a thread in the forum? Is there always a few extra places? I just don't want to drive 2 hours and then have issues with having a place to sleep

Maggie got this one. We have plenty of space. We also have canvas period tents and cots for overflow. You will have no issues getting a place to sleep.

- Dress: If one thing is very obvious, it's that you guys are a lot stricter on dress code than Quest was. As much as I'd love to be able to drop a few hundred on a good pair of LARP boots, that's not in the cards at the moment. What do people commonly do for entry level? And while I'm at it, what shirt/pants have people found works well for NPCing?

For boots I recommend basic combat or hiking boots. Black or Tan will work. I use these for NPCing most of the time. The most basic acceptable garb is a regular tunic and black/brown sweatpants. I highly recommend Kevat over at badass garb. She can get you quality linen pants and a tunic for about 120 before shipping (her prices may be different).

- Weapons: I'm visiting my parents down in PA this weekend I was going to check my stuff in the basement. I believe I still have my boffer weapons. They're not latex (I believe the forum term I saw was burrito). Is that okay for NPC level? If they're still around, I have a longsword and two daggers with a slight curve

These are fine for NPCing. They will all be checked when you arrive.

If you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask.

Hey Jeremy! My name is John, my main pc name is Saber and my new alternate character that is coming in in October is Flint. I know a lot as far as cheap clothing and garb but as far as how great it looks, depends on how much work you put into it. The only suggestion as far as colors is to pick earthy colors. If you have any other questions that someone else hasn't asked, feel free to shoot me a message. I am not part of staff but I have the beginners perspective of things and I am more than willing to give pointers!

Hey Jeremy, Welcome! NPCing your first event is ALWAYS a good idea for newcomers to get a grasp on how KoN operates. With that said, October means that we will have an all PC shift in the morning during our second shift (i.e. 10am - 3:30pm Saturday morning). That means that you will get to RP with all of our great players at once!

As Coroth said in the Harvest Festival thread, "Any player who does not currently have a PC is more than welcome to create a lvl 1 persona to participate in the events of the day or to man the Inn (Please speak with Christina about inn stuff)."

Can't wait to meet you in game!

A bit late to the party, but Welcome! I'm Lauren, one of the GM Seconds and resident crazy dragon chick.

Everyone else has pretty much said anything I'd say, but just wanted to say hello and really hope to see you at future games!

@Ryan: Thanks for the heads up about the all PC shift. I probably should keep with easing into the pool rather than diving in so I'll have to drop a message to Christina to see if more inn help is required.

@Octavius: Fighting practice in Rochester? Sounds awesome to me. Could you point me in the direction of the right person for more details?

@Everyone: Thanks for all the responses. Already have a really good feeling about my return to larping.

Due to a last minute schedule change, my first weekend at KoN will not be the October event. I am super bummed, but it is what it is. Is the November event still okay for newbies? I'm not sure if there is some special season end situation.

I had the same thing happen to me last year, ended up coming in in November. Perfectly fine time, there just isn't an all PC slot is all.