Help the Dag Noob! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Coroth 

• I see all the lights...
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, LARP, Military History

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Ok, not that I didn't know I was going to already, but I really had a great weekend so its time that I (finally) get my kit together. Seeing as the next scheduled event isn't until next year I have time to get this done, but if I don't start now I will leave it till the last second.

1. Tabard/surcoat I can put this together myself not an issue- I will need the badge for it, I thought someone mentioned doing a group order, is that correct - if not I will get it done myself.

2. Weapon, it sounds like purchasing is the way to go on this again, something I will take care of, any favorite vendor suggestions?

3. Shield. I really liked using Monkey 's curved shield so that's the load out Im going to go with initially. Hive already mentioned he is out of cores for those, where do I go from here?

4. Helmet/armor I know I have a lot of options here, leather, chain, coat of plates. Im leaning toward leather initially but full suit or just shoulder/ arm(s) and greaves? Do I need something for the sword hand as well?

What am I missing?

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear."

"But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves.
History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be."

#2 User is offline   Wargrasa 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:LARP (Combat and non-combat)
    Table top gaming.
    Music.
    Video games.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Heya, I have a curved shield thats already strapped and foamed. It needs to be touched up a bit, but Id be willing to get rid of it.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Property of Angry Chapin 

• Septon Zander Fulke of the Elemental
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Novitas, Dagorhir, Leatherworking and FAmily

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

1. http://www.marketwor...875&i=241385513

2. http://www.edhellen.com/

3. Get Tony's. The barrels can be a pain to find at times.

4. Definitely a helm but everything else is up to your fighting style and your intended "Normal" Load Out. If your going to go with a barrel shield I would suggest lower body armor and sword arm protection.

#4 User is offline   PatLanicus 

• PipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

http://www.kingdomso...opic=6707&st=0#

This has the ranks and loadouts. If you are using a barrel you want leg armor and armor for your sword arm. A side arm like a dagger or small blue is also a good thing to pick up.

#5 User is offline   Coroth 

• I see all the lights...
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, LARP, Military History

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

I know what I want, its the options and opinion's that I need- ie what works for a good helmet and what doesn't, is a chest plate necessary for sword and board, or even if not should I just go for it anyway because it looks better? Greaves, shoulders and sword arm coverage are a given- but will it need to be full arm coverage, or just a forearm (bracer)?

Tony, what do you want for the shield?

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear."

"But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves.
History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be."

#6 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

The loadouts are the way they are because that IS what works. If you want to wear more, go for it, but you'll be fine without torso armor behind a barrel shield. Barrel shield instead of tower means greaves are mandatory.

No group buy on the patches, just order them up.

You only need a sword hand gauntlet for personal protection; it gives no armor. A black MMA glove is a decent stopgap there, just clean up any logos.

Tony should just give you that godsdamned shield. Gods know he got enough free stuff from us to get started.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#7 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

No lie, Iwasn't wearing my swordarm protection at CoK. I lost my swordarm real quick, then stood around doing my job for another 20 minutes.

I was still 80% as effective, but I didn't kill anybody :(

#8 User is offline   Wargrasa 

• PipPip
  • Interests:LARP (Combat and non-combat)
    Table top gaming.
    Music.
    Video games.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostCoroth, on 16 October 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

I know what I want, its the options and opinion's that I need- ie what works for a good helmet and what doesn't, is a chest plate necessary for sword and board, or even if not should I just go for it anyway because it looks better? Greaves, shoulders and sword arm coverage are a given- but will it need to be full arm coverage, or just a forearm (bracer)?

Tony, what do you want for the shield?

You can just have it. Its just taking up space anyways. The edges need to be refoamed but the face of the shield is already done.

Edit: I think I only bought it for like, 20 bucks anyways.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Octavius 

• Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:LARP

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Surcoat: I don't wear one with my regular fighting kit. I do wear it for practice. Eventually i'm going to make a nice one that won't ever be used for fighting.

Weapons: Purchasing is the way to go. I suggest a shortsword for woods battles, longsword for fields.

Shield: you got that figured out. If you like a barrel go with that, just make sure to try all the rest. Again here, woods battles are better with barrels, fields are better with doors IMO. But it just use what you like. I use a barrel all the time.

Armor: I suggest that you just get what you like thematically. I think you will regret buying a helmet just to have a helmet later on after you decide you want a certain theme that doesn't match. Most armor can be fixed, modified to fit correctly. An obvious rule of thumb is that inexpensive equipment will probably suck to wear and use without heavy modifications.

Otherwise, I think forearm and shoulder protection is all you need. In the line, the only way a shot will hit the exposed area is from a stab, which is pretty unlikely. Most shots will be downward swings. Almost any type of helmet, along with a mask will provide you with enough coverage to keep archers from ever shooting at you. I've seen many types of helmets used effectively. Roman Helms, Spagenhelm, Great Helm, Corinthian helm, almost everything will work.

I need some extra patches as well. Let me know if you're doing an order. Save 5$ on shipping :) I think some of the other wights wanted some patches too.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Operations Second Marshal
Combat and Safety Ref

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users