Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: Helmet, Helmet, Helmet... - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

Page 1 of 1

Helmet, Helmet, Helmet... Apropriatness and functionaliy questions on helemts. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Archknight 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Table top gaming, medical history, power lifting and historic fencing.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hello everyone I am deciding on what style of helmet to get but figured i should ask some questions first. I searched the armor forum and couldn't find a thread specifically addressing some of the question The two most important questions concern period appropriateness and then comfortably/functionality. The helmets I am currently thinking about are Gothic Sallet with visor, an open face Scottish Burgonet, and a Morian with cheek pads (links below).
Gothic Sallet
Scottish Burgonet
Morian

The first question is a period appropriate question. I have read that full Gothic plate is acceptable in KoN I was wondering if that era is when period appropriateness ends (15th C. early 16th). This question specifically applies to the Morian helmet as its a later 16th and 17th C. piece. Additionally while I haven't played my pc yet his background is Vlean and I am sort of going for a Swiss merc/ Landsknecht with a bit of Galloglass amalgamation and was wondering if these styles of helmet were appropriate for that region.

The second question is if anyone has owned any of these pieces or something similar? How do the wear? Are they comfortable? any foreseeable issues? I am particularly worried about the Sallet's visor moving or bouncing and having issues with it staying up, or worse the eye slots being too narrow. Additionally if their is an alternative style you have had success with please let me know.

Thank you for your time,

#2 User is offline   Coroth 

• I see all the lights...
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, LARP, Military History

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:48 PM

Im not in props and atmo, but I have been playing this game for a long time, so think of what I say as guidelines until you get the official word from our staff.

As a note,most of us who have played a while avoid buying armor from LARP centric shops, while it is certainly cheaper, there are numerous reasons for that- the first being materials and construction. They will be made of thin, lightweight metal. They will have little or no resale value because they can only be used in LARP's, while if you spend a little more you will have armor that could be used in heaver hitting games (dagorhir , ect) and also last much longer.

1. 16th to 17th century is getting a little late for our look, however that particular helmet (Morian) would work - its does not scream conquistador to me.

2. Any helmet you will buy you will need to pad and possibly strap (chin strap is necessary) yourself. The comfort is dependent on how heavy the helm is, how its padded and strapped. Anything with a visor WILL NOT STAY UP in a fight, it just wont.

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear."

"But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves.
History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be."

#3 User is offline   Archknight 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Table top gaming, medical history, power lifting and historic fencing.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Thank you for the reply and heads up about the visor. My experience with helmets are the one I wore in the service, a motorcycle helm, and a legionnaire replica, so nothing with a visor... I think I will opt for an open face helm. After talking with a few people I am most likely going to go with a more lowlands style Burgonet (unless I hear a different argument). The one I have in mind is contemporary of the Landsknecht and other mercenaries of the late 15th and early 16th century, additionally it has the option to attach a face visor for more heavy combat events.. Thank for the warning about the LARP stores, I know its not the best stuff but as a slight precaution I have made sure everything I have bought so far and am looking at is at least 18 gauge (minimum SCA) and 16 gauge for helms.

Thank you for your time,

Burgonet

#4 User is offline   Michael 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Professional photography
    Renfairs and anything medieval related.
    RPG table top games ( D&D and Pathfinder)
    Sword collecting
    Leatherwork

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

There are a few people that wear helmets in game and some in the NPC gear, I've been looking for one too, almost anyone would let you try one out to see how you like it before actually purchasing one.
Lucius Crey

#5 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostArchknight, on 18 April 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

as a slight precaution I have made sure everything I have bought so far and am looking at is at least 18 gauge (minimum SCA) and 16 gauge for helms.

FYI: No marshal will pass an 18 gauge helmet in the SCA for heavy combat. They'll pass a 16 gauge helmet, but it'll get destroyed quickly. I don't hit particularly hard and I can dent a 16 gauge helmet all day.

SCA helmets these days shoot for a 12-14 gauge top and 14 gauge sides. We WANT the weight - it gives your head some inertia, which is important when people are swinging clubs at your head. My SCA heavy helmet is over 17 pounds.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users