Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: The Big Combined Thread About BOOTS! - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »

The Big Combined Thread About BOOTS! ANYTHING about BOOTS goes in HERE Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WilhelmKingspeak 

• I'm too something for this something
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Technology Teaching, Crafting: Shields Armor Boffers, Clothing, Warhammer, SCA, Slacking, Food. I also start fires.

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:57 AM

Looking for buccaneer boots. Any help. I think prime has something like i want, where the top folds over to make a cuff.

Also I found this and sent away for a catalog http://www.sandlarboots.com/
Lv 18 Barbarian - Von Dolin Van Dellin (Deceased)
Lv 5 Rogue Scholar - M. Tresor (Retired)
Lv 21 Elven Alchemist - Alfarin (Retired)
Lv 14 Mad Alchemist - Eugene Copperpot (Lost all his Money)

Teaching technology education to middle schoolers is like being pecked to death by chickens ~ Tim a retired technology teacher

#2 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Classical History, Epic Poems and Literature, Early Medieval Material Culture, Props and Costuming, Blacksmithing, Green Home BuildingStar Wars, Table-Top Gaming, LARP

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Those are the boots I wear. TOP quality.

I talked myself out of them for 6 years before I broke down and bought a pair. Dumbest garb move I ever made was waiting.

They are pricey but if you are interested in a pair of boots that barely show wear after a year with minimal upkeep, these are for you. The treads are awesome, the boots are exceedingly comfortable, and they are 1/2 the price of the Sterling Ren Fest ones.
KoN Plot & Continuity Marshal

According to Kender:
"I never miss because I'm a bear-blasting ginger-bearded son of Thor and Vermont cheddar"

He's wrong about one thing. I do miss.

#3 User is offline   Monsieur Treasure 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Booze, coin, and ladies of the night

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

what is the price of the books from Sandlar?

also just found these http://www.leatherlo...renaissance.cfm and http://www.leatherlo...ther_pirate.cfm

#4 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Classical History, Epic Poems and Literature, Early Medieval Material Culture, Props and Costuming, Blacksmithing, Green Home BuildingStar Wars, Table-Top Gaming, LARP

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:08 PM

They cost twice what those cost. The leather is much thicker. The soles have better tread for fighting than modern hiking boots. They are softer too, by the looks of them.
KoN Plot & Continuity Marshal

According to Kender:
"I never miss because I'm a bear-blasting ginger-bearded son of Thor and Vermont cheddar"

He's wrong about one thing. I do miss.

#5 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Most of the professional Ren carnies wear the sandlars, from what I've seen at Sterling.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#6 User is offline   Monsieur Treasure 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Booze, coin, and ladies of the night

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

4x the product for 2x the price. I can handle that, Ill wait till the catalog gets here

#7 User is offline   Zephisto 

• PipPip
  • Interests:MTG, LARP, ROBOTICS (i have my own little one i am working on), computers, sci fi, Technology education

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone either makes boots or knows of a place where I can get a pair for a size 15 foot. I have seen many websites that have historically accurate gear but not many of them have shoes that are either my size or in a price range which i could actually afford.

#8 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

I gotta say that you're probably screwed man. :( Best advice I can give you is to look at something in a style like an Engineer's Boot or a Wellington. It's common enough a style that you should be able to find something in a 15 or a 16, and with some work you can probably make it nondescript enough to pass at most LARPs. Your other option is going to be leather sandals.

But if you want something truly period, neither of those will probably work for you. I know there are a number of custom cobblers at various ren faires. Very simple ankle boots from them will probably run you well over $300 from my experiences, but as they're custom made for you the size shouldn't be an issue at all.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#9 User is offline   Zephisto 

• PipPip
  • Interests:MTG, LARP, ROBOTICS (i have my own little one i am working on), computers, sci fi, Technology education

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

I thought that I was a screwed man, its hard enough to find regular shoes. For the sandals do you think a pair of birkenstocks would look ok, or if not, could you give me an ideal of what type of sandals would look good?

#10 User is offline   Coroth 

• I see all the lights...
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, LARP, Military History

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

Google roman footwear for some pictures to guide you by.

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear."

"But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves.
History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be."

#11 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Any of this stuff will work for boots:

http://www.sportsman...b.aspx?a=404618

http://www.sportsman...b.aspx?a=229235

For sandals, I see no reason why you couldn't get away with something like this:

http://www.sportsman...b.aspx?a=326714

Even in the winter, you could get some thick real wool socks and try those.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#12 User is offline   Zephisto 

• PipPip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for all your help and especially in such a timely manor.

#13 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

I found a pair of very similar sandals at Dick's Sporting Goods last year. They were only like $30. I'm not sure if they had up to size 15 in them though.

I'm tempted to get a new pair as my old pair got left in a tote with a lot of moisture and developed some mold. I'm not sure how to permanently get the mold out. I keep wiping them down and moldy spots keep reappearing... (My current spacket bag, a belt pouch and a couple other things seemed to be plagued as well...) Never forget to completely unpack after an event.

Nergi of the Windfall Ram Horn Tribe
(formerly Giovanni VillaTerra)

#14 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

There's also boot covers, to help dress up your footwear.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#15 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

http://leatherworker...?showtopic=4892
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

#16 User is offline   Mediefal 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Larp historian, history and military buff, Table tops are for the winter, woodworking, light metal working.<br /><br />Three girls (5,5,3) and a wife take up the other 99% of my time.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

brings new meaning to the phrase "show me the money"...

#17 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:01 PM

Those are actually tooled on the boots. There's some amazing stuff at leatherworker.net...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

#18 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

I can't see the pictures because I don't have an account.

#19 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

I can't link them because they're attachments.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

#20 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Ok, I'm looking for a new pair of boots. I want something that looks more period that East German Officer Boots. I'm willing to spend a bit on these (but not more than $200). I need something comfortable that will wear long and have good arch support. I have wide feet. I wear a size 11+1/2 - 12...

Anyone have any good recommendations where to get boots? Somewhere local where I can try them on is preferred, but not likely.

Nergi of the Windfall Ram Horn Tribe
(formerly Giovanni VillaTerra)

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users