Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: The Big Combined Thread About BOOTS! - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »

The Big Combined Thread About BOOTS! ANYTHING about BOOTS goes in HERE Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

Good luck man. You know as well as I that you're dreaming the impossible dream. Good LARP footwear, for men, pretty much boils down to:

Fold-over pirate boots http://www.piratemer...boots-c-46.html
Crappy moccasins http://68.249.38.235/tmscart/shopdisplaypr...t=Men%27s+Boots
The East German officer boots, a.k.a the Universal LARP Boots © http://www.tridentmi...y.com/Boots.htm
Oriental slippers/tabi http://www.jika-tabi.com/
Engineer's boots / Wellingtons http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/sear...amp;k=engineers
800$ ren fair boots http://www.mysticsoles.com/

I think I'm gonna tear a page from Felix's book for my barbarian next summer (or in November, depending on October's body count) and buy some calf-high moccasins a size too big for me, and have them resoled with a rubber Vibram boot sole. Throw in a gel insole and an arch support, and that'll be it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#22 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

These are out of your price range, but he's promising a three week turnaround: http://www.sodhopper.../moccasins.html
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#23 User is offline   Mediefal 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Larp historian, history and military buff, Table tops are for the winter, woodworking, light metal working.<br /><br />Three girls (5,5,3) and a wife take up the other 99% of my time.

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:07 PM

For linemen boots, you can re-do some of the sides with your own decorations and 'stuff'...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LINEMAN-BOOTS-12-12-5D...id=p3286.c0.m14

For another game I have these style boots, black laces, and the baggy pants roll over the top.
These are 16" linemens, and they feel great and give good support...

#24 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

The price is right on these: http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/2008/08...al-sort-of.html

EDIT: Seems like a pretty decent pair of footwear could be constructed by following this tutorial, then going back to the mocasin place I linked above and buying a jar of his "Goop" http://www.sodhopper.../html/goop.html and hitting up the bottom of them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

#25 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Sexy!
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#26 User is offline   Julie 

• Odd Fellow in Good Standing
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:LARP

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Justin loves his Son of Sandlar boots that he purchased at the Tuxedo ren faire. I believe they were $225 or so - slightly over your budget, but good boots.

#27 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

View PostJulie, on Sep 16 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

Justin loves his Son of Sandlar boots that he purchased at the Tuxedo ren faire. I believe they were $225 or so - slightly over your budget, but good boots.

I put in a request for a "Son of Sandlar" catalog from their website like 3 months ago. I have a thing with on-line companies. If they take that long to answer an email, I only expect their product will run horribly late as well. I learned my lesson when my plate armour arrived two YEARS late.

Nergi of the Windfall Ram Horn Tribe
(formerly Giovanni VillaTerra)

#28 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Classical History, Epic Poems and Literature, Early Medieval Material Culture, Props and Costuming, Blacksmithing, Green Home BuildingStar Wars, Table-Top Gaming, LARP

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

They do so much business in person at the fair that I've never had good follow up from them online. They are leather bootmakers and not internet gurus.

I once phoned them and they sent me their electronic flier that afternoon.

$225. These things have the best tread I've seen on a pair of boots. Easy to use, stylin. Made from a heavy latigo. I can't speak well enough for them. I've gotten no arch problem from them at all (I have moderately bad arches). You can fit them with insoles no prob.

Thinking about putting together a trip down to Tux for the Faire. Perhaps you can come, or we could work something out. They are the single most expensive piece of garb I own and I am honestly happy with every penny. A friend of mine has had his for 5 years, I've had mine for 2 years now and they have little noticeable wear for all the B.S. I put them through. All I do is hit them with mink oil every other event. I kick through rocks, run in the dark, climb trees in them, walk through water and the sucking mud swamp, they take it with a smile.

The slack-rope walker down there, Dexter is his stage name, has been using them for 10 years now. He has bought a few pairs over the years, but he swears by them. I don't know if he gets a cut or anything, but if he chooses them for his work that's a good endorsement in my eyes.
KoN Plot & Continuity Marshal

According to Kender:
"I never miss because I'm a bear-blasting ginger-bearded son of Thor and Vermont cheddar"

He's wrong about one thing. I do miss.

#29 User is offline   Richard 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Helper Monkey of Novitas

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

View Posthivemind, on Sep 15 2008, 08:29 PM, said:

The price is right on these: http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/2008/08...al-sort-of.html

EDIT: Seems like a pretty decent pair of footwear could be constructed by following this tutorial, then going back to the mocasin place I linked above and buying a jar of his "Goop" http://www.sodhopper.../html/goop.html and hitting up the bottom of them.

Super. Easy. I'm doing one tonight.

#30 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

View PostRichard, on Sep 16 2008, 07:30 PM, said:

Super. Easy. I'm doing one tonight.

I'm working on a pair as well. Making them out of scrap crap first, testing how far up the ankle I can extend them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

#31 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

View Postthunderstave, on Sep 16 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

Thinking about putting together a trip down to Tux for the Faire. Perhaps you can come, or we could work something out. They are the single most expensive piece of garb I own and I am honestly happy with every penny. A friend of mine has had his for 5 years, I've had mine for 2 years now and they have little noticeable wear for all the B.S. I put them through. All I do is hit them with mink oil every other event. I kick through rocks, run in the dark, climb trees in them, walk through water and the sucking mud swamp, they take it with a smile.

I'd consider going down, but this weekend is their last weekend, and I have the entire weekend spoken for. I'd be willing to spend good money on boots, if they were reasonably easy to care for, and a little more substantial than the $800 renn faire boots. If you happen to go down, see if you can't get me a flyer or something. Hopefully he can take mail orders.
I take an 11 1/2 xtra-wide... Perhaps he takes foot-casts? Not sure...

#32 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Classical History, Epic Poems and Literature, Early Medieval Material Culture, Props and Costuming, Blacksmithing, Green Home BuildingStar Wars, Table-Top Gaming, LARP

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:33 PM

No casts. They are off the shelf. He keeps a big stock there, then they move to Texas.

We actually forgot to check the dates this year. We usually go down on the last weekend and thought we had another weekend.

According to Kender:
"I never miss because I'm a bear-blasting ginger-bearded son of Thor and Vermont cheddar"

#33 User is offline   Prime 

• Dual class sucker/chump
  • PipPip
  • Interests:{x | x is awesome}

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

Additional linkage:

http://www.scaboots.com/

The boots I wear under the plate are from these guys, and I'm guessing my other pair of very similar boots is from the same manufacturer.

#34 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

View Postthunderstave, on Sep 16 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

No casts. They are off the shelf. He keeps a big stock there, then they move to Texas.

We actually forgot to check the dates this year. We usually go down on the last weekend and thought we had another weekend.

Does he typically carry half sizes? Wide? Do they run pretty true to size?

#35 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:23 AM

View PostVicious the Jester, on Sep 17 2008, 06:32 AM, said:

Does he typically carry half sizes? Wide? Do they run pretty true to size?

Mine were pretty true to size. I bought them small so that they would stretch tight (ala climbing shoes). I don't remember half sizes or not. Each one is hand made so there might be a pair wider than another. Could ask.

According to Kender:

#36 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

so, speaking of new boots, I was looking for something to replace the six-year-old pair of engineer boots I've got. I'm looking at a pair like this, but nicole says she'd divorce me, and suggests that Mr. Hive might come to my house to slap the shit out of me for thinking it :(

I don't see the problem, the rest of my armor is covered in buckles and snaps :P

Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Cher2luvme 

• Permanent NPC (when I can make it)
  • PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

I think he should buy these ones if he wants buckles, he'd look less gay.

Posted Image

#38 User is offline   Jenica 

• KoN Staff: Logistics Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:What do you mean 'Interests cannot be left blank"?

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Nicole's are better.
Logistics Marshal. Organizing nerds since 2007.
Temperance Cooper, Druid of Summer War

"The creative adult is the child who has survived." Ursula K. Le Guin

Starbuck: Can I make a suggestion that you won't like?
Apollo: Do you make any other kind?

#39 User is offline   Mortanius Von-Crixis 

• PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

i think the ones dan linked are full of bad assery lol

#40 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

View PostVictor, on Sep 17 2008, 10:10 PM, said:

i think the ones dan linked are full of bad assery lol

And your PC garb is a frigging trenchcoat... go figure.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-- Mahatma Gandhi

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users