Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: Hello Everyone! - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

Page 1 of 1

Hello Everyone! Introduction

#1 User is offline   Firedarknight 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Camping, Bicycling, Books, Hiking, Running, Video Games

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hello! My name is Jason and I am from Geneva, NY. I was looking at LARP List and came across Kingdoms of Novitas and it looks very interesting. I have been reading through the Web Site a bit and it looks like there is a lot of detail. I look forward to meeting you all.

#2 User is offline   Maggie / Baevynn 

• Secret Buzzerfree
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Wearing fancy things and spending an obscene amount of time on the internet.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

Hello, Jason! I'm glad you've found us. It's good that you've done some reading because that's the first thing I recommend to new players. Specifically the rules and world book which is our lore http://kingdomsofnov...les-and-errata/

We have an out of character barbecue/fighter practice thing on August 19th. If you have Facebook you can find the details on our Facebook page.

If you have any questions about anything, please let me know. Welcome to Novitas and I look forward to meeting you too.
"Even the most primitive of societies have an innate respect for the insane." - Rumble Fish by SE Hinton

"I may die young, but at least I'll die smart." - Alaska Young

Baevynn Eilis Scarcella (née Tierney) - "Pinedale's little sister."
Andromeda - "What rich people did with their money before Hummers."
Agrona of the Blue Hand - "Agrona is an Avatar. She is the mortal representation of the Goddess Gof**kyourself."

Marketing and Player Outreach Second Send me a message! I only bite upon request.

#3 User is offline   LadyKate 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Rejoicing in life! Reading, writing, sewing, cosplay, English Country Dancing, time with friends, and my faith in Christ- which roots my joy unshakably!

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

Hi Jason, we're glad you've found Kingdoms of Novitas! Playing non player characters is really fun, playing your own created player character is a blast, but the best part is the other people in this community.

It's been a year since my first event (I had never LARPed before and my friend told me about KoN, so thought I'd try it out just once, and a year later, I'm still here). I had come in knowing just one person and even by the end of my first event, I felt like I had found my people. I met friendly, welcoming nerds who were eager to help me jump in and start playing in this fantasy world (that had been grown and added to over many years and that I was welcome to add to too). If you need any advice on NPC garb for your first event, just ask! You really don't have to break the bank, your closet plus the thrift store will outfit you just fine (I go with khakis, loose peasant-y shirt, belt, and boots that don't look too modern- my boots technically have a zipper, but it's black on black and props and atmosphere approved them).

NPCing to me feels like being in a play, you start "backstage" in the logistics building and get told "we need four monsters/villagers/ghosts, etc", then you get into garb for that character and go out on your mission (like being monsters guarding a road or a villager saying your brother is being attacked by werewolves), then after the players interact with you and your mission is accomplished (or you're dead) you head back to logistics, get a new character and it starts over again. It's great.

Eventually once you make a player character, it's like living in a fantasy movie where you improv everything. You get to walk around in character for hours, meet people, help in small fights, make in character friends, gamble, eat at the inn, and generally live life as your character. I absolutely love it.

Then outside of regular events, this summer out of character cookouts were planned for June and August 19, there's the Facebook group, the forums, and the blogs. The other players are friendly outside of events too!

To get a flavor of some of the characters and the world, I highly recommend checking out the blogs (after you read the worldbook and rules, of course).

Katlyn's blog A Joy to Behold tells the adventures of Joy, a human fortune teller who is determined to be cheerful, even as the dark god Nox slowly drives her crazy; Shane/Warblade writes about Kiba, a snow goblin determined to kill the avatars of the gods (lots of good fight scenes in that one); I write a mini soap opera at Ellenor's Letters about a human girl named Ellenor who is part of a gang called The Running Rhinos, who are known for leaping before they look, which is pretty much how she runs her life (leaping from bad decision to bad decision).

I look forward to meeting you at a future event!

Come to the picnic if you can, and introduce yourself a lot, you'll meet some cool people. (I'll miss this picnic, but the Rhinos generally wear purple, so if you see a bunch of dudes in armor with purple garb, say hi, Kate sent you, and ask for fighting lessons, they can introduce you to people and teach you how we fight in game. There are other cool people obviously, but I may be biased. Rhinos forever!) :)
PC: Ellenor Vold
-Member of the Running Rhinos-

You have no control: Who lives. Who dies. Who tells your story.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

*Marketing and Player Outreach Handmaiden* Please feel free to message me! I'm at your service.
*Blog Mistress* Keeper of your stories.

#4 User is offline   Lady Vinyl 

• Tits (of Tits and Ass) aka Quentin Tarantino of the Blogs
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:LARP, music, table top RPG, prop designing (please note, I am not necessarily good at any of these, I just enjoy them)

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

And, understand that this is just a taste of things that you can do in game. My character is (technically) a merchant who owns a productions company that provides entertainment. Sometimes it's talent shows, sometimes plays, sometimes other kinds of shows. It's something new for a LARP. So, if you think it would fit in medieval times, even if it's something new, ask around, see if it will be approved and get as creative as your heart wants to be.

Also, only ask the Rhinos how to fight, do NOT ask them how to win friends and influence people (at least in character, out of character they are actually awesome people, in character, they are a frat party with weapons).
Lady Vinyl

#5 User is offline   Firedarknight 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hey Maggie,

Thank you for the information. I have some reading to do but I am making good progress. I will be working on creating a character soon (just need to finish reading the rules and worldbook). Do you have any suggestions on coming up with character names?

#6 User is offline   Firedarknight 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello Lady Kate,

I am happy to have found KoN as well! I can tell that everyone is putting a lot into this to make it as genuine as possible. This will certainly be a new experience for me as I have never done this. I have done a lot of roll-playing in chat on the computer (I use to use AIM) so I feel comfortable with creating a character. I am certain it will be different than I imagine.

It seems a lot of people join for the first time in August? I think the NPC aspect of the game will be a lot of fun. I was thinking the same thing that it is like taking part in a play. How long does a shift last? I think I read that there are 4 shifts over the course of the event and at minimum 2 shifts you have to play as a NPC.

Playing in character really sounds fun too and I love the detail you are describing. Do you ever find good treasure while wandering around?

Where can I find the blogs?

Thank you for the invitation. I look forward to meeting everyone and training.

#7 User is offline   LadyKate 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Rejoicing in life! Reading, writing, sewing, cosplay, English Country Dancing, time with friends, and my faith in Christ- which roots my joy unshakably!

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

Depends on the race you want to play. Snow goblins often have Asian inspired names (like Tetsu No Kiba), Earthkin have I don't know... Rock related names? (Valora Dragonsmiter, Helene Briar who is nicknamed Pebble), Elves often have long Lord of the Rings ish names (like Thaerion, Sidon, Ithilfirith, Ithvandish), humans can be named whatever (Ellenor, Richard the Bard, Richter Wygraf, Rykir Albensong, Cassandra, Baevynn, Raines, Joy Strifeborn) it depends on the region they are from: Vlean is kinda Italian Renaissance (name ex: Niccolo, Baldisere Ferizanno), Civen is kinda Roman (ex: Titus, Laelia), Dellins are kinda Celtic/Scottish-ish (ex: Agrona of the Blue Hand), Faekin always have an original race (human, elf, etc) so they'll have a name from their home region.

If you decide on a race (human is a great one to start out with- cheaper for starting garb to not have to worry about prosthetics and contacts) and read about the regions in the world book, I can probably tell you names of other player characters from that region.

I made my first (and only so far) player character (Ellenor Vold, daughter of Pellinor and Rosie Vold, siblings Kellenor, Helenor, Rellinor, Telinor, Bellanora, and Peter- I may have had a little too much fun naming her family...) from Freelands, which gave me some flexibility on garb, since the Freelands is a bit of a mishmash.

And, hey, what's wrong with being frat boys with weapons? (I'm the token female in this "Leap Before We Look" Frat Party. I love my boys, they crack me up.)

*Marketing and Player Outreach Handmaiden* Please feel free to message me! I'm at your service.

#8 User is offline   LadyKate 

• PipPip
  • View blog

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Um, yeah, the Rhinos are a mercenary gang, we're always on the lookout for treasure or monsters with loot (even if we're totally unprepared/not equipped to fight them, we run in anyway) or gambling opportunities or paying villagers who want monsters cleared off their land. Loot makes the world go round and this LARP has really great looking coins and magical items. It's impressive.

Shift 1 is Friday 8pm-1am, Shift 2 is Saturday 10am-3pm, Shift 3 is Saturday 3pm-8pm,
Shift 4 is Saturday 8pm-1am.

If you PC your first game, you'll NPC 1&2 and PC 3&4, which PCing your first event isn't recommended for newbies, but I did it and enjoyed it, so it depends on if you have a PC character planned out and your garb for that character is acceptable (feel free to post photos of garb to ask if it seems generally acceptable, the standards for PC garb are higher than NPC garb- I used my Ren Faire outfit for my first two events as my PC and eventually bought more pieces over time.)

Eating happens in character in the inn as player characters and non player characters basically whenever you're hungry, so you don't really need "breaks", though in character you can pretend to nap in the inn, really nap in the inn, go to your cabin as a PC to rest a bit, or rest in logistics in between characters as an NPC. Though I'm always so hyped that I stay up after 1am out of character talking to people every event. Also the stronger "alcohol" is in game really means the more caffeine it has, so staying awake generally isn't the problem. :)

The link to the blogs is at the top left of this page. Here's a direct link:

http://www.kingdomso...ex.php?app=blog

#9 User is online   Warblade 

• Marketing and Player Outreach Minion
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Stuff and Things

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

Well then, it seems nearly all of the questions have been answered by others, but I'll still be friendly and say hello to you new person.

I'm shane, the Marketing and Player Outreach Minion, I play the Snow Goblin named Kiba, so if you see me in game drinking Tea, feel free to join me, in character or out of character, would love to chat and answer any questions you may have. I PC 2nd and 3rd shift, so at the very least, I can chat with you while we NPC 1st shift.

In the game, there are lots of adventuring parties available.

Templar Legion-Are dedicated to stopping the Dark Three and hold no loyalty to a particular nation, they are a militarized traditional D&D party in a sense with a general "good" lean to them.

We look forward to having you in game and getting to know you better, we're a pretty nice community and love to meet new people, it always adds a new spice to the RP and always helps to push the plot forward.
Marketing and Player Outreach Minion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users