Advice on books Help me stay literate

#21 User is offline   Eppe00863 

• Stan the Bard
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:--

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

Even though the peanut gallery has basically finished, I figured I'd add in my picks =)

As for series' I like the Nine Princes in Amber books (of which there are ten) by Roger Zelazny. It just unfortunate that he died in the middle of the second story arc =( But my all-time favorite is probably Stranger in a Strange Land by Frank Herbert.
Never look back - live without fear, for fear is the mindkiller!

#22 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:32 AM

Oh, if you're not "stuck" on pure fantasy, let me suggest a few others...

William Gibson - Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive
James Clavell (Historical Fiction) - Any and all his books, but particularly: Shogun, Tai-pan
David Ball (Historical Fiction) - The Sword and the Scimitar
Ken Follett (Historical Fiction) - Pillars of the Earth, World Without End (sequel)

Nergi of the Windfall Ram Horn Tribe
(formerly Giovanni VillaTerra)

#23 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

Stranger in a Strange Land = Heinlein, not Herbert. :)
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#24 User is offline   Jenica 

• KoN Staff: Logistics Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:What do you mean 'Interests cannot be left blank"?

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

View PostPapa Goob, on Jun 16 2009, 07:48 AM, said:

Stranger in a Strange Land = Heinlein, not Herbert. :)

Though the Dune series is really good, too (Herbert).
Logistics Marshal. Organizing nerds since 2007.
Temperance Cooper, Druid of Summer War

"The creative adult is the child who has survived." Ursula K. Le Guin

Starbuck: Can I make a suggestion that you won't like?
Apollo: Do you make any other kind?

#25 User is offline   Julie 

• Odd Fellow in Good Standing
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:LARP

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

I am a big fan of Lois McMaster Bujold. She has an extensive space opera series called the Vorkosigan Saga, which is a nice mix of cool characters, space adventure, and moral themes centered around the different space cultures and technologies. She also has a fantasy trilogy, starting with the Curse of Chalion, which is a really neat world. I love the theology in it especially, but the characters are awesome. The second book, Paladin of Souls, is one of my comfort reads and a favorite. I haven't gotten into the The Sharing Knife series yet, which is her most current.

I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett / Discworld lately. My favorites of his are Monstrous Regiment, Night Watch, and Small Gods. He is prolific, but some of the books are better than others. The good news is that it doesn't seem to matter much if you read them in order. They are silly, quick reads, but fun and sometimes insightful.

I just finished Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is a short children's story that is entirely disconnected from Middle Earth, describing the adventures of a dog who bites a wizard and gets cursed, and has to find a way to get out of it. It was fun and fanciful, and I am thinking about picking up LOTR or some of his short stories again. ("Leaf by Niggle," a short story of his, is one of my favorites, again not set in Middle Earth.)

I overdosed a little bit on fantasy, so right now I'm reading The Marble Faun by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and listening to On Basilisk Station by David Weber on audiobook (first book of the Honor Harrington series, another space opera).

#26 User is offline   Coroth 

• I see all the lights...
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Computers, gaming, LARP, Military History

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

If you want to go old school, try the original Dragon Lance series, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night and Dranons of Spring Dawning.

"We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear."

"But heroes ARE important: Heroes tell us something about ourselves.
History tells us who we used to be, documentaries tell us who we are now; but heroes tell us who we WANT to be."

#27 User is offline   Kinger 

• Hmmmmm..
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

Every 6 -12 months or so I go back and read that Trilogy. Other good Dragonlance reads include:

Legend of Huma
The Twins Trilogy
Second Generations
Dragons of Sumer Flame
-Rick

Something Witty

#28 User is offline   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

View PostKinger, on Jun 16 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

Dragons of Sumer Flame

Holy shit I had no idea some of those books are set in Mesopotamia! I love historical fiction!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#29 User is offline   Dren Ollevres 

• All up in yer' field, killin' yer dragonz.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Capturing the world in the ever-so-swift motions of a quill on parchment...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Dragonlance was one of my favorite series of the genre.

I recommend Robin Hobbs books: (Farseer Trilogy)
- Assassin's Apprentice
- Royal Assassin
- Assassin's Quest

Also, look into reading Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. He's the author that is finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. However, his stand-alone book Elantris is an amazing story. The writing is a little rushed in some segments, and the beginning is a little cliche, but the characters, concepts, and post-few-chapters is absolutely epic.
Posted Image

Posted Image

- "Dren is not a mere mortal. He is a state of mind; an Avatar of Avarice. He can never be stopped, as greed can never be sated. He does, however, have a very snazzy hat." - Andrew B.

#30 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

If we're getting into Heinlein, I'd recommend Starship Troopers. So much better than the film...

#31 User is offline   Jenica 

• KoN Staff: Logistics Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:What do you mean 'Interests cannot be left blank"?

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

And if you're gonna go sci-fi, I'd vote for John Scalzi's Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. They're Starship Troopers for the new millennium.
Logistics Marshal. Organizing nerds since 2007.
Temperance Cooper, Druid of Summer War

"The creative adult is the child who has survived." Ursula K. Le Guin

Starbuck: Can I make a suggestion that you won't like?
Apollo: Do you make any other kind?

#32 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

View PostJenica, on Jun 16 2009, 12:40 PM, said:

And if you're gonna go sci-fi, I'd vote for John Scalzi's Old Man's War, The Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony. They're Starship Troopers for the new millennium.

Pfft.

#33 User is offline   trickster 

• PipPip
  • Interests:D&D, PC gaming (mainly TF2), some console gaming, and lots of random sports.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

I've read a ton of Dragonlance....probably too many...

Anyways, I'd also suggest R.A. Salvatore's books from the Forgotten Realms. Mainly anything with his character Drizzt Do'Urden.

#34 User is offline   Justin(Marcus) 

• PipPip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:41 AM

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks is a good novel (It is a prequelle to a decent trilogy. Although, the trilogy is good you will notice it is not on my recomendations)

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott
The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott
- These are a book set that has not yet been completed, but they are one of the fastest paced novels I have ever read. Also, They are set in the present.

#35 User is offline   Rhaveniel 

• Neecy
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Books, archery, garb making.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

View PostKender, on Jun 15 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

If you've never read the wheel of time, I'd say dig right in there.

If you want to go a little crazy, I've got a big thick book full of H.P. Lovecraft stories. It's not for everyone though.

WoT imo!

Funny, so do I. I actually took a break from it to read the new L.K. Hamilton Book, but will probably be back to Lovecraft within the week.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to some other person. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self." - a proverb Posted Image

#36 User is offline   Kulon 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Anything but LARP. Obviously not LARP.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

I would seriously recommend picking up Dreamsongs Volume 1. I haven't gotten to Volume 2 yet but the first one is amazing.
The Gamemaster: Guys, please! I want you to roleplay this. Remember you've never met this guy before, the last guys you met tried to kill you, and you're standing in the ruins of an evil, cursed castle. Just act appropriately.
Magellan: Hello, I'm Magellan, a traveling mage. I notice your group has no wizard.
Rogar, the Barbarian: You seem trustworthy. Would you care to join us in our noble quest?
Magellan: Yes. Yes I would.

#37 User is offline   Mortanius Von-Crixis 

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

I really really suggest that people read Sandman Slim it is truly an amazing book

#38 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

So, I'm reading the next Wheel of Time book.

If you're an Egwene fan, this is the book for you. Daes motherfucking Dae'mar. I'm halfway through, and it's not bad. However, so far there is no Lan, and this displeases me greatly.

Anyone else reading this?
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#39 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

I've heard its pretty good. Id like to pour through it sometime. Its gonna be three books, right?

#40 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Yep, three.

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users