Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: Player Initiated Plots (PIPs) - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Player Initiated Plots (PIPs) Let's see if this works... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

(Dave, please pin this)

Kingdoms of Novitas works hard to create a living and breathing world and immersive experience. From monitoring anachronisms in garb and encampment, to providing period-appropriate food, to writing plot and establishing setting that can be changed and fleshed out by player actions, our game works to make you feel as if you're really there in another world, and that your character's actions and decisions have consequences and can change that world. Probably the best and most recent example of this is the "truce with Lootsville". This was not something any GM or Plot Group had established as a plot -- this is something a player took it upon himself to do, and it has changed our world. This is proactive roleplaying. And we like it.

In general, our plots tend to work in two ways. The first being the hook, the second being the not-so-random encounter. Hooks are plots that come to town, beg/pay for help, and the party who "gets hooked" marches out to settle the issue. It's also the attack Pinedale adventure. Not-so-random encounters are scenarios established out in the woods, that trigger when a party takes it upon themselves to go hike the trails looking for adventure. In the past, we've tried NPCless encounters. We've played around with attracting PC attention by beating a drum out in the woods to see who might come to check it out. We've tried leaving trails and tracks to be followed.

Now, we're trying something new.

Sometimes, a party may want to go do something where there isn't necessarily either a hook or a not-so-random encounter established for this quest. Sometimes a party may notice a pattern or clue that they'd like to check out. Sometimes, they may take it upon themselves to explore an area. These kind of adventures can run the gamut from "let's lay siege to Lootsville" to "someone ought to do an archaeological dig at the Shrine of Draconus" to "I remember a few games ago I met this Nereid down by the lake, I think we should try to summon her again." Plot Group is now offering the option of asking for these player initiated adventures. We're hoping that this will both increase the sense of immersion in the world, as well as give us another way to get plots rolling for you guys. Here's how it works:

We're going to ask that interested parties post to this thread, detailing what it is they want to do. This is considered OUT OF GAME information.. PCs shouldn't react to it. PMs work, but sometimes the person you PM it to doesn't check for awhile and you might miss the deadline that way. Anyway, we need the following information.

1) Who is planning on going. -- We are requesting that this be a party adventure, as going off and doing something solo will very likely eat up a bunch of NPCs, props, and time for only one person. Spread the love, invite some friends.

2) What you're planning on doing, and what you hope to accomplish. -- Keep in mind that we need both parts. If you're going to Lootsville for trade, is one kind of adventure. If you're going to Lootsville to kill things and take their stuff, that's a very different kind of adventure. We need to know the full story.

3) Any relevant history or NPCs that are important. -- If you're tracking down Farmer Joe, we need to be sure the Farmer Joe NPC is ready to go. If you heard about this place from some Adventuring Ho's, let us know that's where you heard about it so we can consult the GM author and see if he had anything specifically in mind. Doing this homework makes sure that we can give you a better adventure.

4) What shift are you planning to go do this. -- We'll need to handle logistics on our end, so knowing in advance what shift you're planing on doing this will make our lives easier. We'll send word into Pinedale to let you know when the scenario is ready to be run, and you and your assigned group can march out and take a whack at it.

5) These requests must be in 2 weeks before game. We're going to need time to prep plots, prep props, debate amongst ourselves, and all that jazz. So we need time, and this due date gives you 2 weeks to work out all the above and us 2 weeks to prep the scenario. Fair, right? NOTE: If you request a dungeon crawl, you may either get turned down (they cost $ and take lots of time to prep) or you may have to wait a few games before we're ready for it.

6) We will not make any assurances or promises that the adventure you're going on is a good idea, won't kill your PCs, be easy, or won't change the world as a whole. It may not work out like you think it will, but we also won't immediately screw over anyone who submits these adventures. Anything can happen -- make your peace with it.

For fellow GMs: If the plot is taking place on your shift, plot group will coordinate with you on this ahead of time so we can figure out how to do this without stepping all over each others toes, or we might just see if you want to run it yourself. This is a pilot project, we're going to see if this shakes out or even if anyone bothers to use this opportunity.

Okay, so, questions or comments? Thanks for reading the wall of text.

-Drew, on behalf of Plot Group.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#2 User is offline   Sen Tell Vos 

• PipPip
  • Interests:LARP Paintball

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thank you all for making my Ego ten times bigger. :D

#3 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

View PostSen Tell Vos, on Jun 13 2008, 04:56 PM, said:

Thank you all for making my Ego ten times bigger. :D

what's even funnier is the rumors I hear about Vos retiring, lawl.

#4 User is offline   Sen Tell Vos 

• PipPip
  • Interests:LARP Paintball

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:24 PM

SHHHH you know nothing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#5 User is offline   Elisar 

• PipPip
  • Interests:I love LARP!!! Music, snowboarding, hanging out with friends, sleeping.

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

My PC is very spur of the moment, but I don't like to hang around town waiting for things to happen. I often wonder out to the lake at night, and will walk out to the tree line several times, or just lay in the field outside town in the dead of night with my bow notched and the shoot first ask questions later frame of mind. I normaly ask others to come with me and most of them would rather sit on their bums, so I go out alone. That is my character especialy at night. I'm not suicidal though so if I'm alone and see three or more figures I'm not going to attack, I also have no silver.

Next friday night shift I'll take a walk out to the lake as soon as it is fully dark. After that I will be wondering in and out of town as discribed above until I find an interesting quest. If I can convince a few brave souls to take a hike out to the covered bridge, or the shrine I will go, but I don't have a steady adventuring group yet. Hopefuly in an event or two I'll have some friends and I can give you more exact details, but if you have a random encounter set up not too far from town I'll most likely find it.

My PC is an assassin and part of a form of assassin's guild. The guild does NOT assassinate people just because they are paid to do so, it is like an underground justice force. We are anti war, and anti slavery, so if there is a noble who is trying to start a war we will kill him even if no one pays us, his loot is payment enough. If there is a slave trader or slave master who treats his slaves poorly we will kill him. All missions, and orders are hand written, signed by the guild master, and have his seal. The letter is written in a mix of Elvish and Snow Goblin and has a few code words thrown in, it will contain any useful information on the "client" and why he desirves our "services". If you want to use this for a plot it would make me very happy.
"Justice comes in many forms, this is no exception"

#6 User is offline   Kinger 

• Hmmmmm..
  • PipPip

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

you obviously didnt read the directions.
-Rick

Something Witty

#7 User is offline   Kinger 

• Hmmmmm..
  • PipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

This thread wasnt created so you can tell us where you will be at all times. Or for your background, we got that when you turned it in.

This is so you can say my party intends to do (action X) at (location Y) on Saturday night. Our goals are to (Accomplish A). We will need (NPCs 1,2 and 3).

Now when you have a group. Fill in the varriables and post it here.
-Rick

Something Witty

#8 User is offline   WilhelmKingspeak 

• I'm too something for this something
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Technology Teaching, Crafting: Shields Armor Boffers, Clothing, Warhammer, SCA, Slacking, Food. I also start fires.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

View PostKinger, on Jun 19 2008, 08:22 AM, said:

This thread wasnt created so you can tell us where you will be at all times. Or for your background, we got that when you turned it in.

This is so you can say my party intends to do (action X) at (location Y) on Saturday night. Our goals are to (Accomplish A). We will need (NPCs 1,2 and 3).

Now when you have a group. Fill in the varriables and post it here.

Hmm novitas math.. XY/z "shift" = A+B "npcs"
Lv 18 Barbarian - Von Dolin Van Dellin (Deceased)
Lv 5 Rogue Scholar - M. Tresor (Retired)
Lv 21 Elven Alchemist - Alfarin (Retired)
Lv 14 Mad Alchemist - Eugene Copperpot (Lost all his Money)

Teaching technology education to middle schoolers is like being pecked to death by chickens ~ Tim a retired technology teacher

#9 User is offline   Kinger 

• Hmmmmm..
  • PipPip

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

more like X+Y+# = A
-Rick

Something Witty

#10 User is offline   Vincent McFathom 

• Vincent McFathom (AJ DeLong)
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Kill Stuff?

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

Vincent McFathom's Daytime Assault on Lootsville/Cairn Hold.

He has finally been pushed hard enough to do something about this "truce". If not for the safety of those in Pinedale, then knowing that there are "good" people/undead there that deserve to be put at peace. (Thanks to Drew's Saturday night NPC, begging for his brother's body). The majority of the party will be fairly new and or low level players. I'm hoping that if we emerge successful that it will thrust some of these guys more into the open, allowing them to become just as immersed in the game as I have. I'm hoping that if we emerge victorious that it would be a great chance to get good, solid loot to those same players, as most of the "good stuff" is found more readily on higher-level players. I am aware that this won't be easy, which may force me to drive up for a single day for the august fighter practice to get these guys together, and to learn to fight as a team. So, with that:

1)Vincent(I have commissioned Ajax to make me a Elven Steel Marshal, including the Soldier's Meteor rock item #401 to be included in the hilt, specifically for this battle), Gaius, Nasri, Thalen, Gerard*crosses fingers*?. The Southern Cross Boys, Ambrose, Neccero, Victor, Richter(has the newbie death from feb feast), Ajax*other fingers*, Magnus & Friend *toes*, and perhaps a few of the other archers. I made another post to get a better idea of who is coming. Essentially I will take any able-bodied fighter along for the ride.

2)I plan to destroy Cairn Hold while they are at their weakest, kill the mortal handlers, dig up the bastards one by one, and burn it to the ground. By doing this there may be backlash afterwards, but I hope to end the more prominent threat to the town's safety. May those with a pure soul reclaim this land and built something magnificent in it's ruins... After the battle is over, I, and any other Ordained Priest will bless and consecrate the grounds to finally lay the inhabitants of Lootsville to rest.

3)None.

4) 3rd Shift, Saturday Afternoon, around 3:30-4:00? Once I know the encounter is ready, I'll probably gather the troops and give some sort of speech in the field. It won't be pretty, as a Soldier doesn't have time for eloquence. Hopefully 2 months will be enough time to do this.

This is crazy
Combat & Safety Ref

Posted Image
Posted Image

"He who walks in the middle of the road gets hit from both sides." - George P. Shultz

Victory through Valor. Victory through Strength. Victory through Pain. Victory through Sacrifice.

#11 User is offline   ThatGuy 

• You know, that person!
  • PipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:07 AM

A Trip Into The Dragon's Mouth.

1) Who is planning on going. -- Gaius, Nasri, and Brigidt

2) What you're planning on doing, and what you hope to accomplish. -- Gaius is planning on going home, to Civen where he is wanted dead, so that he might be able to talk with his dead family and at least find a little peace in this world of confusion. Nasri and Brigidt are going along to help in the task, and help to keep all of us alive. Besides, it's fun!

3) Any relevant history or NPCs that are important. -- This I leave in Drew's capable hands. He's got Gaius' history and he knows the full story as to what is going on.

4) What shift are you planning to go do this. -- This is where things get sticky. I'd -prefer- to run it at, say, a fighter practice or sometime before the next session so I have tiome to process what the hell just happened, and possibly react to it. It is supposed to be happening between sessions.

5) These requests must be in 2 weeks before game. -- DONE!

6) We will not make any assurances or promises that the adventure you're going on is a good idea, won't kill your PCs, be easy, or won't change the world as a whole. It may not work out like you think it will, but we also won't immediately screw over anyone who submits these adventures. Anything can happen -- make your peace with it. -- Already done. I've assembled my team ICly, and all we need is for a few things to happen before the trip, but I'll start those gears in motion today.

Note: The idea for these adventures is pretty badassed. I like the idea of PCs being able to go forth and do things without it having to have to come to them.

#12 User is offline   Vincent McFathom 

• PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:51 PM

We may need to postpone the encounter. Vincent has been PM'ing like crazy to those he respects in town, and all have the same opinion. Vincent is considering holding something of a meeting IC during the August fighter practice perhaps to get everyone's input. It seems like half the town wants to go and burn the place to the ground, while the other is insistent that we need more time to prepare. Many veterans of the town who have faced crazy odds before don't think we can pull it off. Vincent is at odds... If he doesn't have the support of the people he is trying to protect, then what can he do? If any of you guys have any input, please. I'm all ears.
Combat & Safety Ref

Posted Image
Posted Image

"He who walks in the middle of the road gets hit from both sides." - George P. Shultz

Victory through Valor. Victory through Strength. Victory through Pain. Victory through Sacrifice.

#13 User is offline   Gravedigger 

• Gravedigger
  • PipPip

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

How many do we have in support of the attack?
Mordekai- Gravdigr of Pinedale. U kill'm I will bury 'm. Pleaz mak sur its deadun first. I charg xtra to bury da livin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

AJ and I were talking about wanting to have a "buddy cop" adventure between Iga and McFathom. Something between 'The Odd Couple' and 'Another 24 Hours', with violence. We can always agree on the violence. ;)

EDIT: Howabout I follow my own thread reqs..

1) Who is planning on going. -- I think the only mandatory people are AJ and I, though anyone who can add to our differences would be welcome.

2) What you're planning on doing, and what you hope to accomplish. -- We're fuzzy/open on this one. I think there are a bunch of fun differences we could play with: McF is always calm, except when battle comes where Iga is always furious and finds relief in fighting. Godly differences. The fact that we're going to duel someday when McFathom has "enough glory" to make it worth Iga's while, the fact that Iga wants to break the sword of the Soldier over his knee.. I think all those are available as plot hooks/points. Aj? Anything to add here?

3) Any relevant history or NPCs that are important. -- See above.

4) What shift are you planning to go do this. -- We only PC together on Sat afternoon, routinely. Now that Iga's getting hitched, he may stick around for half a Sat night shift occasionally.. though he'll be rolling with the Slatestones then.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#15 User is offline   Vincent McFathom 

• PipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

1)I think it would be wise to do a one-on-one type thing, there's a lot that Vincent holds back with others around.

2)The plot could really be anything, just needs to have Iga and Vincent forced to work together, whether they like it or not. I'm not looking for us to be skipping out of the forest holding hands when it's all said and done. Could make things between the two better, or a whole lot worse. Who knows, only one of us may come back... However, if I die on the encounter, Iga will never be able to kill me himself. I think we would both have an interest in keeping the other alive for the sole purpose of being able to do it in single combat with each other.

3)A Soldier, and a SG that wants to spit in the Soldier's eye...

4) Saturday afternoon would be the best bet.
Combat & Safety Ref

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Property of Angry Chapin 

• Septon Zander Fulke of the Elemental
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Novitas, Dagorhir, Leatherworking and FAmily

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

If you two go alone then i want an orange hat and a permission slip saying I can come watch or at least this should probably be filmed and sold to the other players.

#17 User is offline   Marcus Arcturus Maximus 

• The artist formerly known as Grog
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:more then I have time to list

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

lol i was thinking the same thing hell in fact if you need npcs for this encounter i will be the first to volunteer.
grog-deceased.

#18 User is offline   Vicious the Jester 

• Armour Snob
  • PipPip
  • Interests:swords, computers, guns, role-playing games (LARP, tabletop, computer, etc), movies...

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

View PostPapa Goob, on Oct 6 2008, 11:47 AM, said:

AJ and I were talking about wanting to have a "buddy cop" adventure between Iga and McFathom. Something between 'The Odd Couple' and 'Another 24 Hours', with violence. We can always agree on the violence. ;)

Which GMs run this shift? Whoever decides to pick this up, get in touch with me please. I have some thoughts and ideas toward this that I don't want to post here, as it'll ruin it for Drew and AJ.

Nergi of the Windfall Ram Horn Tribe
(formerly Giovanni VillaTerra)

#19 User is offline   thunderstave 

• JC
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Classical History, Epic Poems and Literature, Early Medieval Material Culture, Props and Costuming, Blacksmithing, Green Home BuildingStar Wars, Table-Top Gaming, LARP

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'll pick it up.
KoN Plot & Continuity Marshal

According to Kender:
"I never miss because I'm a bear-blasting ginger-bearded son of Thor and Vermont cheddar"

He's wrong about one thing. I do miss.

#20 User is offline   Mortanius Von-Crixis 

• PipPip

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

if i may be so bold, im curious if any gms have picked up on the subtle hints about victor wanting to know if his father is dead or what not and what has happened with him. it will help him with some of his upcoming choices...

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users