Kingdoms of Novitas Forums: Latex Weapons, Fighter Practices, and YOU! - Kingdoms of Novitas Forums

Page 1 of 1

Latex Weapons, Fighter Practices, and YOU! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

As some of you are finding out, pretty latex weapons are sometimes not the most durable of items. Durability varies by brand, of course, but as a general rule, a well-constructed 3-layer tape weapon will last through years of abuse, while two fighter practices can sometimes just about destroy a Forgotten Dreams sword.

I would suggest that if you only own one pretty weapon, and it's your PCs weapon, that you NOT use it at fighter practices. You will do more fighting in one two-hour practice than you will in an entire year of KoN events.

I would also say that if you are using a numbered weapon at a fighter practice, you are dumb.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#2 User is offline   MasterMike 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

View Posthivemind, on Mar 15 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

As some of you are finding out, pretty latex weapons are sometimes not the most durable of items. Durability varies by brand, of course, but as a general rule, a well-constructed 3-layer tape weapon will last through years of abuse, while two fighter practices can sometimes just about destroy a Forgotten Dreams sword.

I would suggest that if you only own one pretty weapon, and it's your PCs weapon, that you NOT use it at fighter practices. You will do more fighting in one two-hour practice than you will in an entire year of KoN events.

I would also say that if you are using a numbered weapon at a fighter practice, you are dumb.

Ya Zach gave me this same advice at the last FP when he noticed I was using the swords I bought from you. Shortly after that I took his advice. Not only because it made perfect sense. But also, it was already showing more knicks and marks than I was comfortable with. Spending over 300 dollars on weapons just to watch them get torn up in a matter of 3 and a half hours is not my idea of a good time.

#3 User is offline   Kender 

• Munchking
  • PipPip
  • Interests:= Principals
    * Rates
    * Times

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:23 PM

At a Fighter Practice, you're fighting pretty much non-stop for three hours.

At KoN, I think people fight maybe ten minutes all weekend as their PC?

#4 User is offline   Dren Ollevres 

• All up in yer' field, killin' yer dragonz.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Capturing the world in the ever-so-swift motions of a quill on parchment...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

View Posthivemind, on Mar 15 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

I can attest to that statement. I busted 3 forgotten dreams weapons last fighter practice.... THREE.

Dave, where's the first place I should go for supplies for repairs? Which products do you recommend? I got a home depot nearby, and a target. That's about it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

- "Dren is not a mere mortal. He is a state of mind; an Avatar of Avarice. He can never be stopped, as greed can never be sated. He does, however, have a very snazzy hat." - Andrew B.

#5 User is online   hivemind 

• PR Nightmare
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Games, IT, my wife, your mom...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

Uhh... I dunno. I just throw them out when they're broke. I think if there's tears in the foam, you can fix that with Dap and PlastiDip and Through The Roof. If the foam is crushed or missing, it's a dead weapon.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

#6 User is offline   Dren Ollevres 

• All up in yer' field, killin' yer dragonz.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Capturing the world in the ever-so-swift motions of a quill on parchment...

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

It's only slightly torn in each case. My normal weapons all need to be resealed anyway on the tips from scraping on the ground. I guess now's the time to kill 5 birds with one stone.

Where do you normally buy those supplies? Any hardware store?
Posted Image

Posted Image

- "Dren is not a mere mortal. He is a state of mind; an Avatar of Avarice. He can never be stopped, as greed can never be sated. He does, however, have a very snazzy hat." - Andrew B.

#7 User is offline   Octavius 

• Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:LARP

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

Dap/Plastidip can be bought most hardware stores. Through the roof is only available at ace hardware stores. Look at the rulebook, it has good instructions on how to do all of it, get supplies, etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Operations Second Marshal
Combat and Safety Ref

#8 User is offline   Unknown one 

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Are buffers allowed at practice just to be cheap and have something to use? The duct tape tube buffers is what I am talking about??

#9 User is offline   Octavius 

• Marketing & Player Outreach Marshal
  • PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:LARP

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

They must follow all c&s rules and pass safety checks.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Operations Second Marshal
Combat and Safety Ref

#10 User is offline   Vincent McFathom 

• Vincent McFathom (AJ DeLong)
  • PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Kill Stuff?

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

So, YES. They are allowed. But must be checked to ensure safety.
Combat & Safety Ref

Posted Image
Posted Image

"He who walks in the middle of the road gets hit from both sides." - George P. Shultz

Victory through Valor. Victory through Strength. Victory through Pain. Victory through Sacrifice.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users