• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advice on books Help me stay literate

#61 User is offline   Olov Sebastev 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Following the Sept and seeking Ordainment, tracking down the necromancers who attacked my home.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

To add my pick to the not quite fantasy but fantastic book category:

"Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami
"Kafka by the Shore" by Haruki Murakami

I'm a bit Murakami fan btw.

I second Dave's picks for the Gotrek and Felix books, snag an omnibus and it is definitely worth your while. "Mathhias Thullman: Witchhunter" is also another good Warhammer Omnibus.

I also must put forward "the Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. Seven books and a host of graphic novels. The audio books are also very well done, especially numbers two, three and four. Unfortunately the narrator had a bad motorcycle wreck and was unable to finish the cycle.
I feel my bones: the strength,
I feel my muscle; the strength,
I feel my soul; the strength,
I feel the Sept,
Who grant me grace,
And by Their will: strength.

"The Sept demands pain, I have paid it. They demand blood, and I have shed it. They demand fealty, and I give it with all my being. They demand hatred, and I am filled with it." Olov Sebastev

#62 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Evil deeds do not prosper; the slow man catches up with the swift.
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Haven't read this yet, but will pick it up in the next few weeks

Leaving Mundania.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

The following is a short list of things men should be engaged in, at all times:

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#63 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm in the middle of The Heroes, by Abercrombie. It's Vikings versus Dutch/Germans. So far it's gritty and no bullshit, only two sorcerers so far and they're either pretentious or fucking weird. Thumbs up, so far.
"I don't mind telling you I have no idea what any of the words in that last sentence meant. This is the problem with the youth of today: too much time inventing nonsense words, not enough time taking a bullet in the lung defending a hill. I don't have to know what the hell twitters and texting and body sprays are to understand that they're not the sort of thing men should be engaged in. Like conversations, or painting things that aren't a house.

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

At any rate, enjoy your pretty portraits, Fried Green Tomatoes. Don't cry all over 'em when you're painting pictures of poems tonight, or you might electrocute yourselves." -- TF Soldier.

#64 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Just started The Rook. I'm about 100 pages in, and it's charmingly weird and fish-out-of-watery. I can see where it thinks it's being funny, though the jokes aren't landing for me yet. Might appeal to the Dresden Files people.

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

#65 User is offline   Gratus 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Dag/Amtgard/rpg

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (trilogy)
Malus Darkbkade by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee (Warhammer)
Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Century Trilogy by Ken Follett (never have been one for historical stuff but, it's a good read; about events around WWI and WWII)

#66 User is offline   Papa Goob 

• Amateur Human Being.
  • PipPip
    --Homer, The Odyssey

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Three Parts Dead was a lot of fun, and reads like something straight out of a China Mieville-as-GM Shadowrun campaign.

1. Getting a haircut
2. Yelling
3. Digesting ribs
4. Hill defense

#67 User is offline   Horsa the Lost 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, painting, RPG, LARP, history, being a polymath

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

Putting in a plug for an author I am surprised not to see here. David Gemmell if you like gritty, low magic, realistic fantasy his work may be just the ticket. His heroes are real people. The kind who sometimes think less than heroic thoughts like "Sod this, I just want to go home and see my kids, not fight in the rain for some uncaring lordling's."

#68 User is offline   LadyKate 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Rejoicing in life! Reading, writing, sewing, cosplay, English Country Dancing, time with friends, and my faith in Christ- which roots my joy unshakably!

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostPapa Goob, on 21 April 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Haven't read this yet, but will pick it up in the next few weeks

Leaving Mundania.

Necro-posting here. Did you enjoy this book?
PC: Ellenor Vold
-Member of the Running Rhinos-

You have no control: Who lives. Who dies. Who tells your story.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

*Marketing and Player Outreach Handmaiden* Please feel free to message me! I'm at your service.
*Blog Mistress* Keeper of your stories.

#69 User is offline   LadyKate 

• PipPip
  • View blog
  • Interests:Rejoicing in life! Reading, writing, sewing, cosplay, English Country Dancing, time with friends, and my faith in Christ- which roots my joy unshakably!

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:46 PM

This thread is great! Read anything fun lately?

While I'm here...

Not strictly related to Game of Thrones, but general fantasy-ish:

I second J.R.R. Tolkien.
I second Terry Pratchett. My favorites are Monstrous Regiment, Thud!, Going Postal, Snuff, and the Tiffany Aching Series.

T.H. White. The Once and Future King. If you haven't read it yet, do.

T.A. Barron: YA fantasy by an environmentalist. The Lost Years of Merlin series, The Dark Tree of Avalon series (I met the author when I was a kid and years later he said he named a character (Elliryana) after my little hometown of Elyria, Ohio!) His Heroic Adventures of Kate series is fantasy-adjacent.

Jasper Fforde: Quirky. I like the Thursday Next series and the Nursery Crime series which are not fantasy so much as alternate reality sci-fi-ish plus the kitchen sink...? They are hard to pin down to a genre. I haven't read his new series The Last Dragonslayer yet, but that looks to be more traditional fantasy with quirky elements.

Vivian Vande Velde: YA Fantasy and Role Playing books. The Book of Mordred is good fantasy, User Unfriendly and Heir Apparent are about role playing characters who enter their fantasy video game. (I read a ton of her books as a kid and recently got to meet her after finding out she lives in Rochester!)

Lloyd Alexander. YA Fantasy. The High King series.

Jean Ferris. Adorable, quirky YA fantasy. Once Upon a Marigold series.

I want to write children's fantasy books, so my picks are mostly in the YA realm. These may not suit all tastes.

#1 non-fantasy pick: Anything on American history by Sarah Vowell on audio book (Assassination Vacation, The Wordy Shipmates, Unfamiliar Fishes, Lafayette in the Somewhat United States).
My favorite book at the moment: Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

PC: Ellenor Vold
-Member of the Running Rhinos-

You have no control: Who lives. Who dies. Who tells your story.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

*Marketing and Player Outreach Handmaiden* Please feel free to message me! I'm at your service.
*Blog Mistress* Keeper of your stories.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users