|Site Index | > Prop Rules | > Clothing Guidelines|
Sneakers, T-shirts, or jarringly modern clothes, such as camouflage fatigues, can completely destroy the suspension of disbelief the game tries to create.
KoN is a fantasy game, and not set in a specific historical period so the variety of acceptable garb is wide. Players portraying non-human characters are encouraged to flavor their garb with fantasy elements.
- The real world time period Novitas samples for historical garb ends roughly around 1500 AD.
- Civen characters should draw influence from the Roman Empire between 27 BCE – 610 CE.
- Vleanoan and Evenandran characters should draw influence from medieval western Europe between 1066 – 1500
- Great Forest and Dellin Tribelands characters should draw influence from central and northern Europe between the prehistoric era – 106 CE
- Free Lands characters wear anything found in any other kingdom.
- Gershen characters draw influence from China between 1500 BCE – 1644 CE or Japan between 250 BCE – 186 CE
- Terran characters should draw influence between 610 CE – 1066 CE the "dark ages" of European history.
Garb should NEVER contain:
- Fluorescent or day-glow colors
- Modern military clothing in cut or pattern
- Camouflage patterns in any form
- Printed bandannas
- Sneakers in any form or color
- Modern hats
- Visible zippers (Zippers on the insides of boots are acceptable if not obvious)
- Cargo pockets on pants
- Visible white socks
- Exposed modern webbing or straps
- Visible duct tape (Duct tape weapons are permissible, although players are encouraged to choose higher quality props)
- Clothing of obviously modern cut or materials
- Nylon or zippered backpacks or satchels
- Clearly mundane prints or logos
In order to be the most immersive game possible it is important that players wear appropriate garb to maintain the proper atmosphere. It is a requirement that players who are in-game be wearing appropriate garb at all times. Players can and often should have pieces of garb reviewed by members of the props and atmosphere staff to determine if they are appropriate for the game.
As this is a fantasy game with no specific historical time period to draw on, there is a variety of acceptable garb. Often accurate garb is a matter of making sure certain modern features are not present.
The most basic set of garb a brand new player should bring to game is a tunic and black sweatpants or scrubs. This gives them something to wear under NPC garb that won't clash. After about a year of coming to game, you should have your own NPC garb to work with. Players will need additional different garb to wear for a player character.
|<< What Costuming To Bring | Prop Rules | Weapon Props >>|