Sign in to follow this  
Prime

Official Bidness: NPC Garb Incentive

Because the forums are giving MK some trouble currently I will be your substitute announcer for the following Props and Atmosphere announcement. Please read the following in your head using her voice, not mine.

~~~

Hi everyone!

So some of you may have heard some chatter at Feb Feast about a possible incentive for garb promotion. Well, I come to you today to tell you it's true! For the months of April, May, and June 2015 we will be offering XP for personal NPC Garb and Gear purchases. We may choose to extend this into the Fall of 2015 if we're feeling froggy. No promises.

Nuts and Bolts:

- Players may turn in receipts totaling up to no more than $300/month/player and receive 1XP/$10 spent. (The cap is to prevent the possibility of someone taking out a second mortgage or maxing out their credit cards. It's happened... it wasn't good.)

- XP for Boots is not a part of this incentive and will not count towards the monthly $$ cap. We will always give XP for boots and they will be treated separately as long as we're offering the NPC Garb Incentive.

- Players may turn in receipts for materials purchased to make their own garb or gear, but the item(s) must be complete and ready to be approved when the receipts are turned in.

- Garb and Gear means: clothing, accessories (hats/belts/bags/pouches/etc), weapons, and shields.

- All garb and gear claimed under this incentive must be approved by the Props and Atmosphere Marshal (MaryKate) or Second (Tony S.) and must adhere to the published garb standards.

There are a couple reasons that we're offering this incentive that I think I should share with you all. Over the last 10 years our game has developed a culture that values high garb standards. Our players are committed to looking good and maintaining a level of immersion that many other LARPs simply cannot achieve. We are proud of that fact and, honestly, it's a selling point of our game. This incentive is meant to make sure that we continue to raise that bar and make sure that all our players, old and new, are invested in that effort.

Additionally, players benefit personally from having a better selection of personal NPC gear (beyond current benefit of receiving XP) because GMs are more likely to give them interesting and challenging roles. A player with their own set of Noble garb, for example, is much more likely to be asked to take on a Noble RP role. A person with their own set of elf ears is more likely to be chosen to play a Wildrunner (and to have a matching pair of ears... it's always the right ones that go missing). Of course the pool of NPC garb and gear that the game owns is always available to NPCs, but having that well-fitting doublet and fine Vleanoan hat means you're more likely to be asked to play a Vleanoan Inquisitor and that you'll look damn good doing it!

I'll add that having/working on having a good NPC kit is also one of those things that signifies to the GMs and other staff that a player is committed, reliable, and invested in our game. People who build a good personal NPC kit are the types of people who tend get invited into working groups, asked join the GM staff, etc. because it shows a level of personal responsibility that our staff values and seeks to cultivate. This is not something anyone expects to happen overnight, and honestly most players take years to build up a substantial NPC kit, but it is absolutely something that we should all be working on and that we are trying to encourage and stimulate with this incentive.

Thanks Mr. Andy! I currently only have access to the forums on my phone because my home internet serice hates me and the KoN forums. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post here or pm me or Tony.

I would like to propose an idea:

A poll / spreadsheet / something should be created where people can enter what shifts they will be NPCing (and a separate entry would be made for each event in case you'll be absent), and "complete NPC costumes", so that the GMs can plan plots in advance with those roles.

For instance, "I'm going to NPC 3 & 4 in April. I have a blue tunic that has traditional Civen-styled trim, and a short sword which would make a perfect Civen gladius." (this is true, by the way)

Hopefully this will keep hard work from going to waste (i.e. people putting together NPC outfits and not using them)

Often if a GM is aware in advance that they need someone with specific garb to run a plot, they will ask for a volunteer on the NPC Donations/Requests forum. Otherwise, if you have the appropriate garb and the GM asks for someone to play a Civenite (or whatever role), volunteer.

That said, if people want to share their NPC garb and gear with one another, that's completely up to them. Keeping track of who owns what and trying to coordinate sharing is not really something that I'm currently interested in adding to the already full plate of our volunteer staff, however.

If you're consistently wearing nice garb to NPCing and showing good effort, it'll never go unnoticed. Creating more work and more documents for GMs and Logistics people doesn't seem to be the right answer.

Like MK said, If you hear a plot be announced, step up and say "I've got some awesome garb for this, if we need it".

Okay, fair enough. Just a suggestion.

We do have a list of who is scheduled to NPC when, so we do know who to expect on shift. It's the second part, about costuming, that we don't track and might be annoying/difficult to track if we wanted to. But, I do find that the more I see of people's kits the more I know who to go to for certain things. :)