Sign in to follow this  
kawaiibeaut

Interested Newbies

Hello everyone~

My sister, myself, and a close friend are interested in larping. We have attended a RenFaire and a Comic Con recently but the feeling just isn't quite all there for us yet, so we are ready to move on up in the world of adult dress up and role play.

We have a few questions: First, I understand this takes place outside, which is a concern in the cold winter for my sister, who has Raynaud's disease (causing lack of blood flow to her extremities in cold weather.) Would she be able to wear something like black ug boots with thick socks and thick black gloves or a hand warming belt while playing? Otherwise it's unlikely that she could keep her fingers and toes safe.

Also, as far as character creation, she and I have brainstormed a few things in regards to our characters but we aren't sure what is and is not completely acceptable even after reading the rules and world book. I have attached our earliest thoughts for consideration.

Thanks! I'm excited to see where we can go from here :)

Character Backgrounds.docx

Hello! My name is Maggie. I'm the Marketing and Player Outreach second marshal. I'm really glad you're looking at joining us!

About your sister, for EVERYONE we recommend thick wool socks for the winter time and gloves. The only rule is that the outer most layer is period which is not hard to do at all. I know a guy who has really nice leather gloves with rabbit fur lining and those keep him super toasty. A few of us also keep hot hands in our pockets to sneak a bit of warmth in there.

I will definitely read what you have so far and private message you my thoughts. As well as M&PO, I'm on Plot and I'm a game master so I'd love to help you.

Hey ladies, and welcome aboard! The rough ideas seem totally within the realm of the game and I can't wait to meet you all! Amanda here, also a GM, and I hope you both have fun!

Thick Ug boots will work, unless it's rainly/muddy. They just soak up water. Otherwise they would be perfectly fine to wear in our game.

Maggie has it right. Thick hiking woolen socks are the way to go. They will help you stay warm even if they get wet. Cotton socks do not work when they get wet.

We have several threads on these forums about cold weather gear. Here is one of them: http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8042&st=0&p=115164&hl=cold%20weather&fromsearch=1entry115164

Hi, and welcome to the forums! Uh, I'm not a GM or anything official, but I do love me some wool socks, and *highly* recommend the heavier SmartWool hiking socks for a LARP weekend. You can find them in most sporting stores (Dick's, Bass Pro, etc.) if you want to get a pair or two before coming to this month's game, but if you have time to order them online they're a few dollars cheaper from Sierra Trading Post's website. Either way, they're absolutely worth the money. My wool socks and wool cloak are the most important pieces of garb I own, in winter.

Your sister also might want to look into thick mittens, rather than gloves – I have a friend who also has super bad extremity circulation, and he says that when his fingers have skin contact with each other they fare much better than if he's wearing gloves.

Hope to meet you guys at game soon!