Sign in to follow this  
jgrant771

New player, really excited to get started

Hi! My name is Jefferson and I'm new to LARP, though I have played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons before. I live as an working intern (similar to WOOFing/workaway.com) at a Buddhist Temple in Upstate New York! I also used to teach children with autism. I'm into doing more roleplaying than combat, although I'm open to trying to combat out. Do you think this game would be a good fit? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jefferson

Welcome!  Novitas is very accessible if you mostly want to roleplay. There is a dedicated safe area where the main inn is located, and a low level spell called dissipate for avoiding enemies.

I recommend NPCing for all of your first weekend. You get paired with experienced players and get to try out everything.

Hello! I'm Michael, I'm the Second Marshal for Marketing and Player Outreach.

First, let me just say Welcome to Kingdoms of Novitas! As attested to above, our game is very receptive to characters who favor roleplaying over combat, including those who avoid combat all together! KoN welcomes players of all different playstyles, especially those new to LARPing!

As for first steps in learning about our game - there's some important information that I would definitely recommend reading up on, You can find a list of races on the Wiki here that gives information and costuming requirements for all current races. The Wiki overall provides a fairly good introduction to the game in the "Learn to Play" and "New Characters" sections. You can also find information about the setting on the Wiki as well. I would also recommend checking out our YouTube channel to get a visual representation of the vibe we shoot for.

I would also recommend joining our Discord where you can connect with our community! It's likely the most active location for the community (besides game itself of course)!

We're looking forward to seeing you in April and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask either myself or our First Marshal for Marking and Player Outreach, Brandon Febles!

Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to my first larp event. I'm going to check to see if I can take time off work. Another LARP I'm considering is Secrets of Caldera. I probably wouldn't be able to do both since I don't think I could get the time off work. What made me consider your LARP was the heavy immersion aspect. Do you know Secrets of Caldera, and what would you say the biggest differences are?

Thank you!

Sadly, I am not familiar with them. At first glance, it appears they only meet four times a year and have options for PC only and NPC only. 

Kingdoms of Novitas meets just about every month, barring February and July typically, and all of our players fill the roles of both NPCs and PCs every event. 

As for any further differences, I would check out our wiki as well as our YouTube channel where you can get a pretty good idea of what game is like! In my opinion, the only way to really know is to come and check it out yourself!

Your second event at Kingdoms of Novitas is free, so I always recommend coming a few times to game and then making up your mind if it’s for you!

Oh you are saying that you have to choose one, and you can't be a PC and an NPC in the same event? I'm definitely thinking I will check your game out, especially since I'm in New York too. I'll keep doing research. Thanks again for answering all my questions!

Also, would it make sense to reserve a spot now? I just wasn't sure how fast this event usually fills up, and I don't want to wait too long. Thanks!

In response to your first question, you can indeed be an NPC and PC at the same event here! We have four "shifts" per event and you are required to NPC an equal or greater amount to the shifts you PC (ex. 2 PC/2 NPC, 1 PC/3 NPC, 1 PC, 1 NPC, etc.).

As for your second question, you can reserve a spot whenever you would like! We do not have a limit on the number of players that can attend per game, so if you wish to pay at the door, that is also a frequently taken option.

Nice! Is camping in a tent allowed? I only ask because I am trying to be cautious because of COVID. Would you recommend it? Do a lot of people do that? 

Also, is there any option to not share a room, and if not, how many people would i be sharing a room with? Thank you so much and looking forward to my first LARP.

Camping in a tent is allowed, however there are some complex rules around doing so.  If you are using a modern tent you will need to break it down on Saturday morning and then set it up again on Saturday night which is undesirable.  Period tents do not have this requirement but do have locations we would prefer to see them in. 

Its worth pointing out that there are MANY lean-tos available for use though they can get cold in the winter, this is probably your best option for sleeping without sharing a room. 

There are plenty of beds available in heated rooms, but those rooms do all share their space with other people roughly 10-20 depending on the building.  A short hike from the main building there are also the A-frames (which are heated and enclosed) that sleep 10 people each, and lately have been fairly low occupancy.

I hope that helped to answer your questions.

Nice! I checked the weather and it seems pretty cold. maybe I'll check to see how many people are in the A-frames, and then bring my tent just in case. Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to heat the lean-tos (either something I could bring or you could provide).

And are people required to get tested/proof of vaccination before arriving? Thank you.

It would be quite difficult to heat a lean-to as one side is entirely open to the elements, except for a large plastic sheet with acts as a curtain. I suppose you cold attempt to close the gap in the middle and heat it with a portable space heater (no outlets), but I have stayed in a lean-to in December and been fine with just some warm clothes and good blankets.

We also do not require testing or proof of vaccination before arriving.

On 3/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mathys_Kavaliro said:

We also do not require testing or proof of vaccination before arriving.

Hi! No worries, was just checking. Also, what kind of food is available at the "tavern/inn" for purchase. Are there fruits/veggies/whole grain/eggs/meat (or some protein)? Just wanted to check to see if I should go grocery shopping before getting there. Thank you.

Also, do you have water for drinking, or should I buy that at grocery store too? Thanks!

And I should bring my own sleeping bag,blanket, pillow correct? Or do you have extra? Thanks.