Sign in to follow this  
Vincent McFathom

Finally, some stuff from Black Ratchet!

Ok, so, our first order finally came from Germany. I love this stuff! Here's what I'm bringing with me to July game. The rest of our order has already been spoken for, and you'll see Gaius (Phil) running around with some of it. If you want to reserve any of this for yourself, PM me and bring $$ to the game, and it's yours. We have some coreless throwing daggers, 2 swords, bracers, and some new arrows that are a good alternative to others that are out there. Here's the photos, along with some stats. If you have any questions, give me a holler. The boards are giving me hassle trying to put photos up, so just follow the links! Enjoy!

First, the Slaughter Sword. Yes, that's what it's actually called. It's a hair on the heavy side, to be used more as a cleaver than anything else. Power is the key to this one, not finesse. 35 inches. $95 for KoN players only.

Slaughter Sword

The Gaelic Sword. Finesse friendly blade. Barely any whip. 34.5 inches. $70 for KoN players only.

Gaelic Sword

Throwing Daggers (3). Coreless, light. After extended testing on my minions, we have found that the skilled thrower can maintain accuracy at no more than 20 feet. We recommend 15 feet max for most players. $10 each for KoN only. ***If a buyer is not found for these, they will be donated to logistics.***

Throwing Daggers

SPOKEN FOR 6-20-08

Arrows (3). Lovely. I personally am very happy with these. Rated to be accurate to 50 meters @ 35lb draw. Yet to be tested (JC?). Well padded, and should be a great additions to the game! $15 each.

Arrows

Arrow Tip

Bracers (1 pair). Black with geen trim. Lace-up and light padding on the inside for maximum comfort. $30 for KoN players only. Thonging is included. ***If a buyer is not found, I'm keeping these fellas for myself!***

Bracers

Bracers Inside

HAPPY BUYING!!!

-AJ

im interested in the gailic sword but i am not sure if i have the extra money to buy it in time for the july event :(

Talk to me about those tips. What do they feel like, how do you think they are built? How much just for the tips and not the arrows. Your tips and my fletching could have potential, but I need more info.

Talk to me about those tips. What do they feel like, how do you think they are built? How much just for the tips and not the arrows. Your tips and my fletching could have potential, but I need more info.

The tips feel great. From what I can feel, they are made with a flat either leather or some other material as a stopper on the shaft, and the padding is built on top of that. I could compare the padding to that of a good stress ball. I had a buddy of mine hit me square in the chest with a 40lb draw bow from 20 feet and it was just fine. Obviously, you're gonna want to see these first hand, as I am not personally an experienced archer, either Larp or in real life. I'll have to make some phone calls for just the tips, but I think it can be done.

-AJ

that slaughter sword looks sweet, are you gonna bring it to july event?

-randy

Yes, it will be there. I will probably send it out with a few NPC's to give it a full run. Unless, of course, the sword is spoken for by the time the even rolls around.

-AJ

I got some calls back from the manufacturer, and they won't separate them. They're glued in pretty good as well, so I don't think buying the whole arrow and removing the head for a different shaft would be efficient.

So, AJ dropped off my Black Ratchet order last night. I must say, I'm happy with what I got from them.

The Sword: Check out My review of the Gaelic Longsword if you want to know my thoughts and opinions on the blade.

The frog: Good stuff here. It is indeed black and dark green and right hand draw. The top of the frog sits about an inch lower then the belt, and the rear looks to be about 6 inches or so from the belt. It sits a little lower then most frogs I've seen, but that allows for it to be a little more relaxed and helps the draw significantly. I slid the sword into the frog and it fit perfectly. There -is- a little movement of the sword in the frog, but that's ok, at least I think it is. The frog is made of some seriously thick leather, like almost as thick as my armor. Looks like this little thing can take a beating and stay usable for years. Looks like they sewed the green leather to the black leather, and then used steel rivets to hold it's shape. Also the black leather, the base piece, is one piece of leather. I tried drawing my Forgotten Dreams sword out of the frog and it slid right on out without snagging or any other problems. It just felt smooth as all hell.

Bracers: Excellent stuff here. Again, done in black and dark green. Same deal as the frog. A single piece of black leather with green leather sewed onto the top of it. The sewing -also- holds the padding on the inside to the black leather. It appears that the green leather is almost cosmetic in nature when compared to the black leather, again about as thick as my armor. I tried them on and was highly surprised by a few things about them. One is that I can lace them myself, and they come with enough good leather thonging I'm sure we could probably strap them to someone's arm who is twice my size. The second thing I noticed was how bloody big they are. They cover from my wrist all the way to my elbow. It's like a whole new armor piece. Thirdly, there is a right bracer and a left bracer. Took a little experimenting to figure out what is what, but only took a moment or three. Fourthly, they are -COMFORTABLE-. I strapped on the left bracer and moved around a little. While it slightly constricts movement inward it's not too bad. The padding though, is the charm of these bracers. I'm not sure what it's made out of, but it's soft and cushions my arm. Although these bracers are made of thick leather, they felt like I was wrapping my arm in something much much softer. And as a side note, yes the padding helps absorb blows. I tried whacking on my arm with one of the old Legion paddles and I felt the blows, but not nearly as much as if I hadn't had both the thick leather or the padding.

And on a side note for both of these products. When I say dark green, I mean -dark- green. They are about the same shade as my armor.

Overall I am -very- happy with my order from these guys. Slick and durable. Also, the fact that AJ hand delivered it to me is also a big bonus, not having to pay for shipping makes me a happy camper.