Kender

... Elven steel was more rare?

Guest Elrohir Amandil
Silver cannot hold blade poisons. Elven steel nukes poisons because it is considered silver as part of its effect. Also ES is not just silver+magic but greater than the sum of the two parts.

whoops, I thought only elven steel cooked poison. My bad.

It is thought that the weapons pure aura is what allows it to rend the flesh of powerful evil creatures, and for this reason a silver weapon may not bear poison. Any poison placed on a silver weapon immediately becomes inert. For the same reason they may not transmit a Magic Strike spell.

Highlighted for emphasis.

Just FYI, this will be changing next year. Silver and magic weapons will be capable of channeling magic strikes and spells via spellstriking.

Highlighted for emphasis.

Just FYI, this will be changing next year. Silver and magic weapons will be capable of channeling magic strikes and spells via spellstriking.

...why?

...why?

Because there was no point in it. It was old legacy code from Midland and we decided to cut it.

Because there was no point in it. It was old legacy code from Midland and we decided to cut it.

Higher 'Elven Steel' damage output at lower levels versus consistent rules integrity. I dunno, but I think that we're very much at the dawn of a new Novitas arms race. Between what the players can produce and what the GMs can engineer to challenge them. Probably not good.

On the rules board we have a chart containing all the monsters that have a DR requirement out of the encounter codex. There are currently 24 monsters that require some form of damage type. Elven Steel works on 17. That is almost 71% of the monsters that require a damage type.

I don't ES is the problem. I think that it is an imbalance in our DR requirements of our monsters, which makes ES the win.

It all seems to boil down to how good of a fighter you are. Elven Steel doesn't add damage or give you any unfair advantage, it just lets you be ABLE to wound something.

You could wield an ultra-powerful can-hurt-anything weapon against someone with a mundane weapon who's hitting for 1 and still get your ass kicked... or hit in the throat with a spell or poison.

It appears balanced enough to me... but what do I know? Nada.

Higher 'Elven Steel' damage output at lower levels versus consistent rules integrity. I dunno, but I think that we're very much at the dawn of a new Novitas arms race. Between what the players can produce and what the GMs can engineer to challenge them. Probably not good.

It's not as bad as you think. Magic Strike does "4 Magic" damage regardless of the type of weapon. Magic strike from an elven steel weapon will not hurt a wraith.

I think he was more referring to a dozen new people swinging their shiny new elven steel weapons for 1 at said Wraith...