WilhelmKingspeak

The Big Combined Thread About BOOTS! (Outdated)

so im in the market for some top quilty boots to replace my old ones. price is not much of an issue. basically im looking for recomendations for boots that will last a very long time through very active use. they have to survive a very brutal experiance.

Any tips on "magic"-ing a pair of boots? Most boots out there don't look super fancy. Do they need to to gain magic item status? Any tips on how to chane the boots from vikingleathercrafts.com so they would meet the standard?

Thanks!

Any tips on "magic"-ing a pair of boots? Most boots out there don't look super fancy. Do they need to to gain magic item status? Any tips on how to chane the boots from vikingleathercrafts.com so they would meet the standard?

Thanks!

We dropped the strict requirement that everything magic has to be blue, so a nice pair of footwear can stand on its own. Check with MK - she has final say.

If you really want to modify your shoes, there are a few things you can try, but it's debatable whether they will make them look better.

• You could try dyeing them, but dye won't go on top of sealed leather very well.
  • Replace the laces.
  • Add some bling - studs, or a concho.

Thanks Julie! I'll bounce some pics off mk then :)

Has anyone tried these boots that can weigh in on how they might work out? Or have a perspective as to whether they will wind up failing me? Keep in mind I spend a ton of time walking and running during events. Thanks!

Http://www.leatherlollipop.com/pd_renaissance.cfm

Except Viking Leather Crafts. :P

I think those are both very nice options in every category excluding warmth in the cold months. With Vibram soles they become very excellent options for their price point.

They are easily the best looking option at that price point.

Personally, I find their toggle boots to be a pain in the butt. I'd recommend the buckles.

I have no issue with the toggles, but it's really a matter of time period, if you're doing a historical persona. Fantasy, less of an issue.

I went with the buckles. Thanks for the input all!

http://renboots.com/StriderBuckle.html

With these,

Is the lugged sole worth it? They look like they'd be a lot better in snow and slippery forest areas. I know a number of folks have used renboots before and am wondering on some opinions?

The smexy boots I wore as Catalus had something like what they call the comfort sole and I never had a problem except on actual ice.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

Laurrn, I own those boots. No traction and kind of light leather. You can try mine this weekend if you want.

Alex - sure if you want to bring them Saturday - your feet are probably much larger than mine though lol (In men's I'm a size 6). But if there is no traction then I will probably go with the better sole and just wait the extra time it takes.

So I have these boots currently:

http://medievalcollectibles.com/p-5357-mens-pirate-boots.aspx

And had a friend replace the zipper along the inside with grommets and laces...Then she told me she could also replace the sole. I guess my question is would replacing the sole be worth it since I already invested in making the boots less anochronistic, or should I upgrade to different boots? I don't have a lot of expendable income, so suggestions for low to mid-price boots are welcome...

So I have these boots currently:

http://medievalcollectibles.com/p-5357-mens-pirate-boots.aspx

And had a friend replace the zipper along the inside with grommets and laces...Then she told me she could also replace the sole. I guess my question is would replacing the sole be worth it since I already invested in making the boots less anochronistic, or should I upgrade to different boots? I don't have a lot of expendable income, so suggestions for low to mid-price boots are welcome...

Replacing the sole is unnecessary from a Props and Atmo perspective. You got rid of the anachronism we care about with the zippers.

If you want to get better traction or something like that, that's all you.

Make sure you take time to break them in. Hurting feet can really put a damper on your event.

*nodnod*

I do WWII reenactments, I know about unbroken boots worn for a weekend :)

should I upgrade to different boots?

You can't polish a turd. You are going to be miserable in those in the wet and cold fall weather, and they're unlikely to last a year.

Have you looked at this?

http://www.kingdomsofnovitas.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5861

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-BOOT-COVERS-GAITERS-STEAMPUNK-GATORS-COSPLAY-COSTUME-MOTORCYCLE-BLACK-/200949048165?pt=US_Costumes&hash=item2ec97f2365 I beleive Richard has these and they look pretty good, for twenty bucks they can clean up most modern boots.

I don't need them to last a year, just an event or two while I save up for something else.

I did see that post, but I've had these boots from awhile ago. Again, stopgap while saving money. My jump boots kept blowing out to the point of no repair, so I have to replace those too...

Those boot covers would be wonderful if WWII jump boots weren't brown. If I could find these in brown though...*runs to google*

These are the Jump boots I use:

http://www.shoeline.com/product.aspx?ProductID=830

if they're masked with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Brown-Steampunk-Spats/380661042660?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17721%26meid%3D1524596180022191272%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D8208%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D360658144322%26

Is it passable?

If not I have a friend who works at a shoe repair shop can make me leather boot covers in the right color but they'd be a bit more expensive...

Yeah, anything like that is fine. Hell, those jump boots are probably OK if you just put a pair of greaves over them. Or channel your inner Viking and wear some winingas.