Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Leather Armor for Dag

Just a quick shot of some arms I'm working on for myself out of 16 oz leather. They're not nearly done, but you can get an idea so far:

elbow1.jpg

The elbows are together with Chicago screws for now (they're really useful for testing things out), but the final product will be done with peened copper rivets. I'll lace the vambrace and put a single strap on the rerebrace. Gonna dye it a dark red with black.

One down, seven to go (arm, leg, leg, torso, shoulder, shoulder, gorget):

elbow2.jpg

elbow3.jpg

elbow4.jpg

So. Pretty.

Another week, another loot drop!

In about a month Hive can complete his set and get the bonus!

So, I wore them for a couple hours tonight at practice and... fail. :)

The vambrace is just way too uncomfortable, even over a gambeson. I also cut it shorter than I normally would, to try and save my wrists some pain, and that results in them just sliding down and pulling the elbow with them.

I'm gonna have to remove the vambrace, remake in the correct size out of 6 oz leather, stud it to Dag standards, and reattach.

The good news is that if I'm studding it every half inch, I can't tool it, and I also don't need to waterform the thinner leather, so the time investment is fairly minimal.

Meh.

Here's the legs, they've been done for a couple weeks now:

legs1.jpg

legs2.jpg

legs3.jpg

And here's a (terrible) shot of the mostly done torso armor:

DSC01206.JPG

Here's the cuirass with some adjustments to it. It fits great now, very comfortable, no binding anywhere.

DSC01212.JPG

DSC01213.JPG

And here's a few close-ups:

DSC01214.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

DSC01216.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

DSC01218.JPG

I keep the back tight to my body with a 3/4" belt. This isn't attached to the front anywhere.

DSC01219.JPG

The floating joint for the back plates:

DSC01220.JPG

I think I want to make another pair of these arms for fun, but I'd like to have a buyer lined up before I go to all the trouble. Anyone interested in a pair of these:

elbow7.jpg

I'll do a different elbow besegew (the cross part) and dye them your choice of brown, maroon (darker than mine, almost brown), or black. Probably not going to do all the border stamping or the tooling on the vambrace.

Looking for around $200 for a pair, depending on how much pretty you want.

Anyone?

Isn't leather armor for Dag at least 12 oz? So then between the scaled elbow thingy and if it were studded on the upper- and lower-most portions of the arms, it would count as 3-pt armor across the board, right?

13.13.3. Three point armor:

13.13.3.1. Studded heavy leather.

13.13.3.2. Armor made from overlapping heavy leather pieces such as scale armor or lamellar.

No. These would be 2-point armor for us, because they're 12-13 oz, unless they're studded. That is not a scaled elbow thingy, it's an articulated elbow. That is neither scale nor lamellar.