Sign in to follow this  
Dren Ollevres

Scribblenauts

Anyone who follows XKCD probably saw their comic today which mentioned Scribblenauts.

So, like many things, when I go "WTF is that?" I look it up.

Turns out it's actually a really cool 'sandbox' type game for the Nintendo DS that lets you spawn pretty much any item you can think of on the screen. The point is to try to accomplish tasks in each level with the fewest items, I think.

Anyway, it looks pretty slick. The developers spent over 3 months just keying data from dictionaries and books to program a massive hierarchy of objects with properties that interact with each other. They claim that it can spawn anything you can imagine except trademark stuff and profanity. They even go on to say some objects are so obscure no one will ever even think to spawn them in the game.

Apparently everything interacts with one other, too. Some simple examples are... spawn a full moon, then a villain, and he turns into a werewolf. Or, make a pool of water, put some sea bass in it, and tie frikken' laser beams to their heads (literally).

If you're into physics-type games like Garry's Mod, Pyrosand 2, or Powdergame, you'll probably enjoy this one. I'll be picking it up after work today and figured I'd share the awesome.

scribblenauts-20090731024757199.jpgscribblenauts-20090722002041400.jpgscribblenauts-20090106035315870_thumb_ign.jpg

There was so much buzz about the keywords a while ago, that I didn't even know what kind of game it was until about 3 weeks ago.

I had alot of fun with Garrys Mod...

Spinning Tires with Balloons and rockets... also epic fight scenes. =D. To bad i dont have a DS... i would prob enjoy this for a few days.

I've got a spare big, fat original DS that I never use if you can wait 'til next game.

I had alot of fun with Garrys Mod...

Spinning Tires with Balloons and rockets... also epic fight scenes. =D. To bad i dont have a DS... i would prob enjoy this for a few days.

Personally, I enjoyed the "Nuke" add-on in Garry's Mod.

I'd find a server that forgot to ban it, put some thrusters on the back of a missile, and shit on everyone's parade. :D :lol: Yeah, I was that guy.

gmflatgrass0077_2.jpg

I've got a spare big, fat original DS that I never use if you can wait 'til next game.

They that would be awesome! Not like I have a choice about waiting anywho. =D