Randy071198

Wouldn't it be cool if...Pinedale judge or magistrate?

Just thought it would be neat if Pinedale had some form of judicial system, even an extremely simple one, where crimes are punished. For example, when Vex killed a bunch of miners (I think), I think it would've been appropriate for a judge or a magistrate to post a bounty on his head, for the slaughter of innocent civilians. And what would make a plot really interesting would be if someone (a PC) was framed for murder and everything that entails.

Step 1: Establish goverment.

Step 2: Write laws.

Step 3: Create judicial system.

Step 4: Enforce laws.

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Profit.

It would become yet one more entity of Pinedale, NPC run, and susceptible to corruption for a plot hook. And how do the GMs give their officers power to enforce laws, why give them pole-arms and make them swing for 4 of course. So the system would basically for plot purposes, serve the NPCs of Pinedale, namely the peasants, defending them. I know it's our jobs as the PCs to defend the peasantry but we do it for plot hooks, and the judicial system would do it for existence. It could be in operation for a few months or something where it would experience difficulties, corruption, dissension, tyrannical power and either be disbanded or defeated. I doubt any judicial system would last that long in Pinedale anyway...it's soooo unpredictable.

The various player groups who are the powers of Pinedale won't let this happen, and the GMs aren't going to force it down their throats.

I always assumed that Lord Archibald, as Pinedale's closest thing to a Power That Is, would handle 'judicial' matters for the peasants. And when Vex killed a bunch of miners, it would have been very cool to have the Lord or one of his men confront that crime.

'Course, now Archibald's dead, and we have a whole crop of local nobility, so...

Still. Pinedale may be lawless, but it shouldn't be without justice.

Some players have already taken to enforcing their own personal brand of justice. I can name a handful of instances off the top of my head.

If certain players, regardless of nobility or not, want to create a council or something, that'd make for interesting gaming too. Remember, not all plots have to come from the GMs to the players. Players can create their own plot, which will inspire GMs to react to it in return.

After this long siege of Pinedale, I look forward to seeing how Ravenwatch (the self-styled Department of Pinedale Security) will react, for example.

If you see a wrong that needs some application of great justice gather yourself a posse and gets to it! Just don't be surprised if everyone in town doesn't agree with you. Egresses actions will of course draw the attention of outside authorities (the GM staff) such as what happened to a few PC's who murdered a certain snow goblin alchemist a couple of years ago.

If certain players, regardless of nobility or not, want to create a council or something, that'd make for interesting gaming too. Remember, not all plots have to come from the GMs to the players. Players can create their own plot, which will inspire GMs to react to it in return.

After this long siege of Pinedale, I look forward to seeing how Ravenwatch (the self-styled Department of Pinedale Security) will react, for example.

We actually started something along these lines before the summer. We got kinda distracted by other events and Rynil didn't show up at the game following the summer, so we lost the momentum. I think we should pick this up again IC though.