Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

November is COLD

A friendly reminder from your Operations Marshal: November is COLD. Remember to bring blankets and staple guns to insulate the windows of your cabins, carpets for the floors, and to go get kerosene for the heaters if you're using one. We have four kerosene heaters available for your use. If you have a cabin with power, or have a battery powered fan, set up a fan to circulate the warm air - it makes a huge difference. If you're really cool, try bringing some actual insulation for the windows, and staple blankets over that. Or really cool (I always meant to do this project) get some foam board insulation and cut it to fit in the windows, then carve and paint it to look like wooden shutters...

If you want firewood, my dad will deliver a cord of split dry wood for $75 to Vanderkamp. Just let him know what cabin to dump it in front of and he'll stack it up there for you. One cord is enough wood for two cabins to keep a fire going pretty much non-stop for a whole weekend. Shoot him an email at nybuckdeer (at) gmail.com if you need wood. You can pay me for it at the event and I'll get him the money.

Remember to dress in layers - but don't use the cold weather as an excuse to let your garb go to shit. Visible modern clothing is still not permitted, including modern gloves, knit hats, thermals, and winter boots. Wear wool on top, and cotton (if it's dry) or linen (if it's wet) for your inner layers. Get some wool socks too. A wool blanket and a brooch:

1935brooch.jpg

makes a completely serviceable, period, and very warm outer garment. If you have a hood, wrap the tail around your face and neck like a scarf - that's what it's for.

Bring a warm sleeping bag, and extra blankets to go on top. Keep your socks on when you sleep, and wear a light knit stocking cap (if you don't have a mummy bag). Sleep with your clean clothes for the next day inside the bag with you so they're not miserably cold in the morning. If you're on a bottom bunk, bring extra blankets to curtain off your bunk like a canopy bed. It helps keep your body heat in.

Finally, if you're utterly miserable, shivering and just can't hack it in your cabin, don't be afraid to move yourself into Logistics (there's at least ten beds in there), or onto a couch in Resurrection Lodge (the Inn). All the beds are taken in the Inn, but there's still floor space if that'll keep you from getting hypothermia. Just be considerate and wait until the game ends at night to crash there, and get up early so you're out of the way of cleanup (and help!).

If you're new, don't let this scare you off. I have particularly enjoyed the cold weather events for years, and even though I have a bunk in the Inn now, I almost miss staying in a cabin, just barely seeing my breath, the heater casting a soft glow in the dark, diving under the blankets at 2 AM. I so wish the cabins had fireplaces. I'd still be in one if they did. :o

I just came from Dicks. They are having a sale on Field and Stream sleeping bags. Most are about 30-40% off. You can get a very warm synthetic material sleeping bag for 60$ (down from $100) so thats not a bad deal. They also have a 20 degree rated cotton sleeping bag for $45.

Warm sleeping bags are also an excellent thing to put on your Christmas wish list - my parents got me one rated for -30 degrees, and it keeps me fairly warm as long as I wear a hat to sleep. I've had it for three years now and it's still awesome.

And they're all on clearance right now.

Regardless of sales, you can get a perfectly serviceable 20 degree sleeping bag online for under $50, just about anytime, from a bunch of places. I know, I just looked around.