Kender

Creative Writer wanted, XP rewarded!

I think it'd be nice if we had a few short stories that occurred in Novitas. I'm willing to pay XP for your creativity here.

There's a catch though, I want stories that have examples of -all- the game mechanics in them. Every spell, Every character ability, etc. Full descriptions aren't required, but bits like "Genesee noticed she was bleeding after the fight with the werewolf, so she knew she needed Wolfsbane before another lunar cycle passed." would be great.

Am I foolish for asking for this? maybe.

Are you cool enough to do it? I think so.

What do you think?

Winning!

Any other requirements? Locations? Races? I've had a few ideas kicking around my head for a while now.

I would love to stretch my creative writing legs, but I guess I would like more specific assignments so that the people who want to be involved in this project aren't tripping all over each others' ideas.

Don't break any canon, don't write anyone else's characters in ways they don't approve, and include as many spells/rules as possible.

I don't have a time limit in mind. Offhand I was thinking 20 XP for a decent story with 80% of what I want.

If you're worried about overlap, you could post a rough outline here (John the farmer, orcs attack, Gaius saves the day) or keep it under wraps.

My goal is to get our collective creative juices flowing, and hopefully we can get them printed into a book, "Tales of Kermit the Bard". I'd be super pleased if we could have an index, so you could look up something like "Damage Reduction" and get a list of pages where that mechanic is featured. That'd be -amazing- I think.

Anything else? I would prefer "I put a lot of heart into this" to "I have one rule per sentence, here's a double-sided page" but I'm mostly in this for the rules.

xoxo

-Dan

In case there was any question, my goal is for these to be posted publicly, either online or in print form. I'd recommend against any in-character secrets. I can keep you anonymous if you wish, or you can choose a pen-name, or whatevs.

I've had a few unrelated short stories floating around my head set in various parts of Novitas, all without relating to any PCs. ;) I look at Novitas and I see all kinds of things to write about. I'll see about outlining some of them soon!

Don't break any canon, don't write anyone else's characters in ways they don't approve, and include as many spells/rules as possible.

I don't have a time limit in mind. Offhand I was thinking 20 XP for a decent story with 80% of what I want.

If you're worried about overlap, you could post a rough outline here (John the farmer, orcs attack, Gaius saves the day) or keep it under wraps.

My goal is to get our collective creative juices flowing, and hopefully we can get them printed into a book, "Tales of Kermit the Bard". I'd be super pleased if we could have an index, so you could look up something like "Damage Reduction" and get a list of pages where that mechanic is featured. That'd be -amazing- I think.

Anything else? I would prefer "I put a lot of heart into this" to "I have one rule per sentence, here's a double-sided page" but I'm mostly in this for the rules.

xoxo

-Dan

So what you want is, "Johnny was a chemist's son, But Johnny is not more, What Johnny thought was H2O, Was H2SO4"

Only more in depth and involving an actual example? I'm oversimplifying it I know, just trying to help other people out.

So what you want is, "Johnny was a chemist's son, But Johnny is not more, What Johnny thought was H2O, Was H2SO4"

Only more in depth and involving an actual example? I'm oversimplifying it I know, just trying to help other people out.

Yeah, but more wordy, less nerdy. :D

Guest Elrohir Amandil

I assume you mean that between all of the short stories you want all of the game mechanics represented? Or do you mean that when we write the stories we use the game mechanics to explain what happens in each story?

Either case I could always give it a shot.

The more examples of game mechanics (Spells, Alchemy, etc) the better.

In the end, I'd like to have an index of "KoN game mechanics examples" and be able to point to a section in one of these stories for each one.

I assume you mean that between all of the short stories you want all of the game mechanics represented? Or do you mean that when we write the stories we use the game mechanics to explain what happens in each story?

Either case I could always give it a shot.

Uh, I mean I want mechanical things to happen in the stories, and use the game mechanics to further the story. "Our hero was wounded! He needed a heal mortal wound, but all we had was a Catholicon, which had the benefit of doing X, Y, and Z as well!"

So do these stories have to involve PC's or can they just be like small plots with rules added in description? Also where should these stories be submitted and how long should they be?

Uh, I mean I want mechanical things to happen in the stories, and use the game mechanics to further the story. "Our hero was wounded! He needed a heal mortal wound, but all we had was a Catholicon, which had the benefit of doing X, Y, and Z as well!"

Something more like?:

"Lucius was winded after felling the last of the orcs. His heart pounded in his chest and his breath came in heavy pants. It's then that he heard the bellow from behind him and along the trail. He spun and lashed out with his sword, the blade bouncing off of the green skinned monster that had attacked him. "Damn it, a troll" he muttered to himself as he backed off. Low on magical power from the previous fight, he backpedaled away from the monster, struggling with one of the potion bottles he kept in his pouch. Either it was a minor power elixir to return some of the power he had spent, or a potion of dissipate to cause him to vanish into his surroundings and get the beast to keep looking for him, either would work but he hopped for the latter."

For those keeping track at home, that was DR: Nature, Magic Power, bottled consumables, Minor Power Elixirs, and Potion of Dissipate (including the "No Camping" rule), or at least those where my intents.

1. I'd prefer stories. Conveniently, stories are a series of paragraphs. :D

2. I don't care if they involve PCs, but they have to be in the game world. I'm not going to name a length, but I would expect a story of the right length to be worth more XP.

3. Phil, yes.

There once was a man from nantucket,

He needed a woman to suck it,

So he cast a strength and she a toughness,

And then they began with the fuckin.

On it.

How do you say this, and then I get two enormous PMs 12 hours later?

ALIENS!

I'm five pages deep but you ain't getting it till I'm done. Grow some patience. :)

I could take a whack at this, but I do have to say that if you want EVERY game mechanic represented, you'd probably have something closer to a novella. It's easier to have a set of stories, each focused on certain things.

Can we make up original characters for the sake of these stories so that we AREN'T trying to write characters in our game? Or perhaps set the story in Elfmeet or something so there isn't crossover?

I don't really need every mechanic represented in every story, that seems silly.

I would expect that as our small army of writers submit things, I'll begin having a list of mechanics that aren't represented, and perhaps bonus XP for them.

Shazam!

also: Yes to elfmeet.