Sign in to follow this  
hivemind

Keeping Your Cabin Warm

Here is how you keep your cabins warm(er) in the colder events (November, December and April).

1. Cover your windows. The easiest way to do this is with black plastic, a wool/fleece blanket/cloth, and a staple gun. Just staple the plastic over the window, then staple the blanket over that.

2. Get one of the kerosene heaters, and a fuel can. We have at least four that belong to KoN, and can be used by players for the cabins. Now, these are not regularly maintained, so you may need to adjust the wick, clean the heater, replace the wick, fix the cage, or do other stuff to get it right. If you don't know anything about kerosene heaters, you need to learn, or find someone who does who is willing to assist. Vella's Market in Cleveland sells kerosene. One full tank in the heater will get you all the way through the night if you top it off after midnight - but Vella's closes at 9 PM, so you'll need to plan ahead.

3. Get a fan! Now, this is the most difficult part, because only two of the six cabins have an electrical outlet (cabins 3 and 4), but it really makes all the difference in the world. You can get battery powered fans (eg. http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/lifestyle/P3300 ) and I really, really suggest you look into one. Getting the warm air moving through the cabin, rather than having it just go up to the uninsulated roof, is the key to making it feel warm in the cabin. When I used to stay in cabin 4 with the House of Cherry Blossoms, we usually had a box fan in there with the heater, and it would be warm enough that we couldn't see our breaths anymore. Fan is key!

Now, some tips:

++ Get there early, and make heat your priority. 2 AM is too late to figure it out.

++ Find one person to be in charge of this for your cabin, and then help them, and thank them. If you're that person, ask for help with stuff like going to get kerosene and stapling up the window covers.

++ Light the heater for the first time outside, and let it burn for 10-15 minutes to make sure it's not going to smoke. There is always a little bit of smoke in the beginning, but it should go away quickly.

++ Get there early, and make heat your priority. 2 AM is too late to figure it out.

++ Learn about the heaters! Here's a PDF with troubleshooting steps (first result): http://www.google.com/search?q=troubleshooting+a+kerosene+heater and here's an eHow article: http://www.ehow.com/way_5201786_kerosene-heater-troubleshooting.html

++ Save your receipts for anything you buy related to heating your cabin. We'll give you XP for them, or reimburse you for fuel, as you like.

Hope that helps!

Dave - is it still possible to buy wood from your dad? If so, how much would it cost? We're digging out our fire pit Friday afternoon.

I have two cords of wood being delivered this week. Operations is already working on getting people to stack the wood under the porches and dig out the firepits. If you want that job, I'll give you the XP - but I'd like them all dug out and I'd like it done before 7 PM on Friday.

I'll talk to Phil and see if we can grab some shovels from his mom's place. We will probably be getting there around 5 anyway.