Sign in to follow this  
Elfury

A "scholar" type RP skill

This would simply be another RP category. 4 points per level with the standard of 5 levels. It would be an RP skill for a character who wants to be a know-it-all. Additional languages that are rare, additional/more in depth lore requests. Could perhaps become an "expert" in a subject, knowing everything their is to know about undead, fae, or even a race or region. Just tossing out some ideas. I think it could be a relatively easy/fun roleplay category to invest points in.

Savant already covers most of it, but with how rare it is to be one and how the rules changed merchant I could see something like this happening down the road.

/snap

if that's the way its meant to be why not just rp a septon or noble? Why is their rp skills available for it? I understand their will never be RP skills for everything, nor should their be. Its just an idea, rather than point out the obvious and non constructive statement, why not throw out the why or why nots? JC for example rps a very knowledgeable PC, does that mean his PC is a scholar or an expert on a topic? Not exactly. Also with the world book project coming along, it would make this skill even easier to RP. Perhaps only certain things are known by these people? Info could be sent out prior to game to a "scholar" as a clue on how to solve a task or quest for that event. Allowing this person to seem like they know.more than the general population of novitas.

if that's the way its meant to be why not just rp a septon or noble? Why is their rp skills available for it?

My guess is that these skills exist as RP skills because they are roles in need of some guidance from Plot. Maybe it would stand to reason that someone wanting to play a scholar should also have guidance from Plot. I don't know. I am not of the mind that more rules is more better though.

If you would prefer,

I don't see how we can give Librarian Lasers, or what external power this RP skill belongs to. If it's just somebody who knows a lot of stuff we already have that mechanic in the magic school masters, and Lore.

Just pick up Lore and Advanced Lore, Let your intentions be known that you are a scholar to others, get approval for a library where you may or may not be able to get information out of from Plot and use your lore requests to learn information about fae, undead, the gods, rituals etc.

Trust me, you don't want to make this into an RP skill. instead of spending 20 skill points on an rp skill set you can spend 5 for mostly the same effect. It saves you time and effort. =]

1 RP skills shouldn't relate to lasers IMO. Just me though. Also, its only the same thing if that's what they were to make it into. If it is not worth it to look it to, that's fine. I am flying solo here and that's cool as well. That's what this forum is for, ideas. Good or bad.

Damn it man. Put a picture on your account so I don't have to guess who you are for hours.

Yeah, it only takes me 20 mins to figure it out every time. This could be blamed on my own stupidity but it isn't fair that he doesn't put up a photo. I only read picture books.

:) Better. Thanks.

I don't see how we can give Librarian Lasers, or what external power this RP skill belongs to.

Oh I assure you, Librarians have lasers.

I always thought it would be cool to have a Lore Wiki, that scholars could have read/write access to, that GMs could drop information, rumors, tall tales into about specific plots/the world in general/particularly cool NPCs/what's going on in the world outside Pinedale. Also, it might help GMs with continuity of plot/history if players added their understandings and experiences. Bonus points to the scholars that scrivened all those entries into leather journals and kept them as part of their encampment.

Guest Elrohir Amandil

My big concern with character knowledge is that I don't know how much IC knowledge my dude should have when he walks in. It is part of the reason that I have been building smarter and smarter characters as I go through my Novitas career. At the same I feel like I'm not as learned about different Lords as I should while I'm playing an elf, for example. I don't think this should be represented on the character sheet with a bunch of knowledge skills, but having some minimum IG knowledge for certain character concepts would help.

I guess in other words I'm saying: World Book.

I really don't think we need another RP skill. With Merchant now, we're already up to 5. When I started in 2006, the RP skills were 4 point skills that did nothing other then give you a title and a plot device for GMs. Lasers were added later, and are cool, but part of what makes this game fun for me is it's simplicity. As we keep adding more and more special powers, the game will become about number crunching these abilities to create a character concept instead of the PLAYER doing it and roleplaying it out on their own merit. The only reason they made Merchant into an RP skill is because the abilities were preexisting in a bunch of other skills around the sheet, so it's not really a big change. Savant already exists. That's enough for me.

As someone who is playing a Scholar/Merchant type I would like to see this as a RP skill for the title more so than the Lasers. In fact I would gladly spend levels in a RP Scholar that has no special abilities right now if I was told I could. Sadly there isn't and I have to make do with what is there and what complements and right now that is Merchant.

Pat: Savant covers all of the skills yes, But the Savant power has very little to do with scholar and everything to do with Production and Consumables. I mean, lets look at it real quick.

Savant

- To earn this title, a player must learn: Estimate Value, Tradesman, First Aid, Herbalist, Identify Magic, Lore, Merchant, Master Merchant, (at least one) Racial Language, Read Magic, Brew Potion, Alchemy up to Rank 5, and gain 20 Production Points.

- Savants may create any scroll or potion if they have a sample to copy from, even if they do not know the spell. (This still requires the necessary available Production Points to produce).

- Savants can copy Alchemical Formula at a cost of 2 Production Points and 4 coin per level of the amalgam.

- Savants can create an Alchemical Formula from a sample at a cost of 4 Production Points and 8 coin per level of the amalgam. The sample is destroyed as part of the cost of creating the formula.

That gives really nothing to someone who just wants knowledge. Lets you have some cool, unique production. Perfect for a Merchant though, which was a requirement before the RP skill move. And also their master only item is something that gives them 10 more PP, Artificially funded to use.

MK(And technically Dan as well): When is the exact point or qualification for when someone's RP needs to have Plot and rules to help it? At least to me, And I could totally be 180 from the view of how plot sees this, But knowledge of Novitas, people, places, things, dates, events, History and Future are mostly determined by plot. We as players, NPC and PC, Shape and help guide the story but what happens is concrete by plot. Something I was thinking along the lines, Books as loot, That's another topic though. I don't like more rules and not asking for lasers, but I see plot guidance as something needed as much as Status, Druid, Ordained, Medium, or now Merchant. Just my view, feel free to disagree and debate on it, Im new to being a PC so maybe at lot more goes on than I realize.

Blagar: Heck yes I would spend 10 levels in a fancy title and plot. Again not a huge fan of rules or lasers but I love the idea of RP skills gives you help from plot. Lasers are just reasons to make 4 points worth it when you could be taking something arguably technically stronger. (Some of the lasers are well worth 4 points, most are not.) Lore and A.Lore do the job fine in a way, but there is no place to progress with them.

Goob: I would love this. Attached to a skill or not that would be awesome. I think it would be come a lot more focused on recent events though when the world book comes out. Kinda like a more in depth, more factual Rumor mill the NPCs get.

Brian: I don't think adding RP skills really changes the game that much. If anything it fleshes it out more and give people who want to pursue them a lot of options as a PC. Even if never expected to as a concept, Maybe a druid or woodland creature helps save a PC's farm and they become a druid to show respect. A light of faith opens up for someone to see the true calling is the church. They save a Noble's life and are given status. I like that RP skills give a way to invest in your PC's RP and a route to take if wanted. Not everyone will take RP skills, Lasers or not. Its just giving them a option. Like right now, Im taking the option presented to me with becoming a Savant soon and that's merchant to help make since with the skills Savant give me. But if something sways me off course by the next time RP skills are offered, im going to flow with the RP, not my back story. That's how RP skills should be taken, Not for laser but for your PC's development.

Sorry for the double post, I didn't want the first one to get to long. Basically though I'm for the idea of new RP skills over all as long as the lasers are not the reason for taking the skills. And that's why we have people who approve and deny people the RP skills so the laser hunters get weeded out. 90% of the players I think go "Oh, neat skills RP X has. To bad im not really a X" And if they want them, they work toward them with RP. Maybe I live in a perfect world in my head where people dont cheat or meta on purpose. This is just my opinion.

I also don't think it would become a RP skill even with valid points for a while. If anything I could see it and a couple other mainstream ideas become more like 1 level RP skills that just give out a title. That would be neat, but I feel like its status at point. But Im just dropping my opinion and thoughts down as someone playing this type of PC and from my experience at game.

These RP skills make more plot for only certain people. I dislike it when I run into a hook and I can't help them because I am not X. I think more RP skills will do this more and more. It could make it harder for new people to feel part of our game because I doubt most new people will spend 2/3 of their points in one.

Just get Savant, It is all about how you play it.

I don't know. I like this idea, especially Drew's spin on it. It could change the whole Lore system into something more manageable. Then again, maybe not. I don't really know how this would look on the staff end of things and ultimately, I wonder if that'll be what it comes down to. Our GMs are already juggling so much.

I don't see the need. I wouldn't even want being a scholar to be an RP skill. As it is, you can be a scholar (pick up the lore stuff, actually know wtf you're talking about, and RP the part) pretty easily. I can't imagine why we would want people to pump multiple levels into it just to get a title. Leave it the way it is, and RP a scholar if that's what you want.

Savant isn't bad. Its really good for potions and alchemy and consumable in general. Its counterproductive to the fact you need all the general skills for it which are all mostly intellect/Scholar based yet the cool lasers Savant gives you, only affects a portion of the skills your buying. Think of it like this...

Weapon Master - Any weapon you pick up, you can deal Slay/Pierce 2/GD. That's useful with every skill you bought to get the mastery.

Master Blade - An extra Slay/Pierce with the blade, can apply to any 1 weapon you bought skills for.

Magic Master - Level 5's in the school you mastered cost -1MP. Not as generic as weapon master but still really good.

Master's Staff - gives the same -1MP to level 2, 3, and 4. Makes all your spells cheaper and works on every point you spent to get a mastery and saves power that you bought.

Savant only works on a much lesser portion of the skills needed in that only potions, scrolls, and alch. Same with the Lab. Just how I see it.

And not saying anyone would expect a new RP skill over night or even before the new season, but it dose bring a idea to the table.

I don't see the need. I wouldn't even want being a scholar to be an RP skill. As it is, you can be a scholar (pick up the lore stuff, actually know wtf you're talking about, and RP the part) pretty easily. I can't imagine why we would want people to pump multiple levels into it just to get a title. Leave it the way it is, and RP a scholar if that's what you want.

At that logic, why did you give Shen levels in Ordained. Why not just RP being a septon and praying at the temple and taking the magic that septon would normally get you. Why have any RP skills at all at that point. Im not saying every single style of RP needs a skill by it. But I guess how I make and form my final ok on is when I hear back on at what point dose a RP type need to become a RP skill.

Thought here... How do you get Savant now that you have lost some of the skills required to get it?

*Not lost but they are no longer available.