Sign in to follow this  
John Spencer

Weapon crafting tips needed...

I am going to be working on making my double headed ax that will be approximately 50" long and two short swords around 35" long. I will be using hollow fiberglass rods as cores and the blue camping foam pad for the foam. I am not sure on what kind of glue I should use for adhering the foam to itself and to the fiberglass. I am fairly new at weapon crafting and it may be a very very long time before I bring my character in from not having the money or time to either buy or make these weapons. I would love any help with figuring out what materials I should use for the glue and latex.

Thanks for the help guys,

- Saber

Do not use the gel version of DAP though. It looks almost exactly the same as the regular can but has a big droplet label with "GEL" written on it. It will make you a sad panda.

Alright, one last question before I decide if it is better to buy than craft, are solid fiberglass cores able to be used or do we have to use the hollow core only?

Solid is fine. Do not use driveway markers. Go get 3/8" solid fenceposts from a TSC or something.

Haha, alright! Thank you very much! my buddies and I are on a somewhat tight budget, we looked at goodwinds .505 filament wound epoxy tubing and it would be about $80 just to get the cores we needed, solid is definitely the cheaper way to go! Thank you very much for the information!

Here is a good tutorial on how to make one that looks decent.

Best advice is don't rush. Wait at least a day to let the dap completely dry. If you put on the latex to early, the dap fumes will melt the latex after you put it on.