Sign in to follow this  
Aquilla

Custom-Made Shields

Hey, all. This is Alex (Richmond)...

After *another* far-too-long hiatus, I'm planning on heading back into game this April. I teach world history and as part of a project for my students, I built a full shield press that makes KoN-sized shields really well. Long-story-short, I've made a lot of shields in recent months for various people and events and as I return in April I wanted to extend an offer to the Novitas community to see if anyone was interested in one. I'm happy to fully-customize any shield and build your design to your specifications.

All of my shields are:

• Solid wood, flat or curved
  • Fully fitted with vinyl tubing and 3/8" foam, as per KoN safety guidelines
  • Cut to any shape you decide (up to 720 sq. in.)
  • Fully outfitted with leather straps or wooden handgrips
  • Completely customizable!

Prices vary wildly based on what you're looking for, and I easily range from simple to elaborate. If you're interested, fill out the form below (made in GoogleDocs) with what you're looking for and I'll send you a quote.

Below are a number of photos from shields I've done in recent months for student projects, other LARPs, etc.. Feel free to request something similar or completely different! I really look forward to heading back into game, and I do plan on bringing a relatively hefty group of new people. I look forward to seeing the faces of KoN... old and new! Thanks!

Sh_Front.JPG

One of several identical shields for the Meridius Trading Company, my character Nika's new crew. This shield is a 20x36" rounded scutum shield (curved) with cotton fabric coating and "rounded dish" boss. On the reverse is a wooden grip and an over-the-shoulder leather strap.

SHLD1_Front.jpg

Small heater shield (curved, 20x24"), painted on wood surface with PlastiDip Edging. On the reverse is a leather strap system.

100_2369.JPG

Tower shield (curved, 20x36"), painted on wood surface with PastiDip Edging. On the reverse is a leather strap system.

MedievalDay%20Shields.JPG

Several small heater shields (curved, 20x24"), painted on wood surface with duct-tape edging. On the reverse is a leather strap system. Stood up to a full day of over 90 students beating on them without a problem!

SHLD1_Back.jpg

Reverse of the yellow and black heater shield (curved, 20x24"), showing simple leather strap system on reverse. Padding seen in the photo was experimental; padded shields are now much thicker and coated in either cloth or fur.

IMG_5178.JPG

The Pig Shield! For those of you that remember... Nika's old shield made a few friends with orcs a few years ago. Now pretty old and a bit worn with lots of use, the shield is a 36" diameter circle shield with PlastiDip edging that definitely needs some love (but after a few years... that can happen). Posted to show design options. Boss shown is no longer used (old-school "Nightmare Legion" style), but does involve a wooden hand grip system.

1781700_833907596626631_1447283439_n.jpg

Rounded scutum shield (curved, 20x36"), painted on wood surface with PlastiDip Edging. "Aged" for artistic purposes. On the reverse is a leather strap system with cloth padding.

Hey, you're good at that painting thing. I need someone to paint my SCA shield. You want the job?

Hey, you're good at that painting thing. I need someone to paint my SCA shield. You want the job?

Absolutely! I'll get a hold of you on Facebook.

Does this mean my cousin is coming back cause I miss him.

Does this mean my cousin is coming back cause I miss him.

So if I could resurrect Aquilla into a PC I would in a heartbeat. Last I checked, he's eternally bound in the Tartarus of NPC-status.

Mass-producing Roman-style scuta for the new group. Thought I'd share the latest results!

IMG_5180B.JPG

Getting ready for April!

So if I could resurrect Aquilla into a PC I would in a heartbeat. Last I checked, he's eternally bound in the Tartarus of NPC-status.

Technically, you never made it to the "dead/retired" PC list... ;)

Technically, you never made it to the "dead/retired" PC list... ;)/>

I've actually been looking into this lately. I hope to figure something out... :)

Somebody's looking for a shield and only left information in the comments field of the form. If this was you, please contact me again... I have no way to reply to you!

Hey, all. A number of you got to check out the scuta that I brought to game this weekend and expressed interest in having me make a shield for you. The link to the form is at the top of this thread, and I'm happy to answer any questions.

Glad to be back!

Would you also be able to make a passive buckler instead of a shield with the same options as the shields?

Absolutely. I keep meaning to update the form with buckler options. If you want to PM me what you're looking for, I can figure out what it would take.

I have several orders for May and plan to set up my press tomorrow. If anyone else is interested in a shield for May, let me know ASAP.

If you didn't get to see some of the gear I brought this weekend...

DaveShield.JPG

Dave's SCA shield... not for use at Novitas, but still has a great design.

IMG_5493.JPG

Steve's NPC shield (not the best shot... nice rabbit-fur padding and wooden handle on the back).

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

Ryan's buckler, front and back.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of John's concave shield!

If you want one for June... click the link in my signature!

Was pretty proud of this one, so I wanted to show it off. This is Blake's (Twig Longears).

IMG_5501.JPG

I've got quite a few orders for June, but I can probably take two or three more. Let me know if you're interested!

Wow, Awesome job!

Thanks, this one was a lot of fun to do.

That looks awesome! Looks like a bear or some big ol' clawed beastie got its claws into it :D/>

I'm starting to think I should pick up a passive buckler with Vany'a just so I can have something awesome looking to carry around, lol.

I feel like that might improve my business prospects...

"Need a shield? No? Well how about something awesome-looking to carry around?"

Hey, all. I'm in the process of pressing and edging a fairly large batch of shields at the moment. If anybody's interested in a new shield for September, now's the time to ask. Anything ordered in the next week or so will definitely be done by September's event. As always, just fill out the form -- the link's in my forum sig. Thanks!

I'm using a new method for edging, and it's turning out really well. It makes the overall form of the shield's edges significantly stronger and nicer-looking. These are two of the several shields getting ready for September; the second shows the new edging (though its hard to see in pictures).

IMG_5519.JPG

Veria's Shield, Re-furbished

IMG_5518.JPG

Scutum-style shield for Steve Arnold's new character

There's still time to order one for the next event!

Hey, all. I just want to let everyone know that November will probably be the last event for anyone who wants a shield before next April. As temperatures drop, it's harder for me to use a lot of the paints and other materials (namely PlastiDip) that I use to make them. While duct tape shields may still be possible, it's probably best to wait until Spring. That being said: If you want one, you'd better let me know ASAP...

A few more pieces from last month:

IMG_5524.JPG

Andy Prime's viking-style shield. While I don't usually use a real boss like this, I can certainly have one ordered.

IMG_5527.JPG

Damien's buckler, textured with raise foam to give the appearance of "scales."

IMG_5536.JPG

Shield intended for a post-apocalyptic LARP. The cut-away holds the muzzle of a gun.

IMG_5521.JPG

Tony Servello's alt character's scutum-style shield. Made to look worn and battle-hardened.

Tal_Shield_2.JPG

Pretty proud of this one; Elven shield for an alt character I'm developing. All designs are in raised foam.

I'm also hoping to have at least 8 new NPC shields for logistics this November, too!

I'm going to PD mine before I give it to you. I just need you to paint it. If it's to cold in your workspace, you can give it back to me after paint and I'll seal it myself.

Alternately, we can work out a trade for access to my heated shop throughout the winter. :)

Hey, all. I just prepped my workshop for new orders and I'm excited for some new projects. I've got a lot of time in the next few weeks, so if anybody wants a shield in time for the June event, I can definitely make it happen. Plus, I'll take 10% off the total cost of any orders this week.

I need to post some new pics of recent projects... plan to do that soon!

Pictures of some of the winter and spring projects...

MTC1.jpg

Kite shield for a character in Lords of Imperium, our LARP out of Ithaca. Raised foam bands across the surface of the shield.

MTC2.jpg

Dwarven-style shield built for the 2015 FebFeast. This thing is a tank, but I love how it came out.

MTC3.jpg

Another kite shield for Amanda's LoI character. Obviously more Asian-themed (I was a big fan of this design).

As always, let me know if you're interested! I'm happy to have an excuse to drive up to KoN! I'm also experimenting with some methods on how to effectively make Dag shields. I'll keep everyone posted...